rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yep, same genre.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A mark of good coaches is understanding the abilities of role players and putting them in a position to utilize them. John Paxson/Steve Kerr got 10 open jumpers a game. Phil Jackson will utilize Barnes well.

Well with Kobe taking 25 to 30 shots a game, Gasol 20 or so and Odom 10, doesn't leave a whole lot to go around :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The example of the Real de Madrid is more like 8 out of 10, they had at one point Ronald , Makelele, Zidane, Luis Figuo, Casillas, Beckham, Roberto Carlos, Solari , Pavon, Robinho in this team ... that's more than 3 out of 5 ...

Basketball is a game where one exerts a lot of energy, thus the need for a bench comes playoffs time... The Celtics have very good players on their bench.. Real bench players that can come and sting you at any given moment.. Big Baby, Nate and yes Jermaine O' Neal among a true center on the bench and this kid Rada Ronjo is improving .. Yes KG is getting old but don't count the man out .. Meanwhile what the Heat may have to do is to play the big 3 all the time comes playoff time, with a relatively brittle Dwayne Wade (Style of play makes him prone to injuries anyway...) While Chris Bosh is very good .. Teams like the Celtics will give him fit with enough hard , mean bodies to send at him making the Heat rely on Lebron and Wade ... Lebron is tough to guard, no doubt but the Celtics have shown how to frustrate him, they have the size and the personnel to do so.. The Orlando Magic remain formidable and you have strange teams in the East that can tire a good team even if they ultimately loose... Atlanta for one .. So for the Heat, not a given, not yet ...

On the role of Riley... I am not sure Riley can claim to the Architect of Showtime, Magic was .. TO me the best payer I have seen .. I know MJ is the GOAT but Magic may likely be the only player who can score 2 point and just beat you plus He can claim to be the only player in the NBA history who could play ANY position and excel at it .. He actually did that .. Played Shooting Guard with Noirm Nixon as the point Guard, then point Guard, played Center in that incredible final game and often played like a power forward in many games against the Celtics ... Man.! I am stopping ..

I agree with you that Durant is real.. I think that Lebron has alienated more people than he thinks .. The "King" , he isn't

Chicago looks very good to me ... If they can land Paul... The East will be a very interesting and dangerous place ...

No the Heat won't get it easy , any team who beats them will see it as having beaten the champion .. which suits like the Lakers just fine, the focus is no longer on them ... Their team just got better ...

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The example of the Real de Madrid is more like 8 out of 10, they had at one point Ronald , Makelele, Zidane, Luis Figuo, Casillas, Beckham, Roberto Carlos, Solari , Pavon, Robinho in this team ... that's more than 3 out of 5 ...

Basketball is a game where one exerts a lot of energy, thus the need for a bench comes playoffs time... The Celtics have very good players on their bench.. Real bench players that can come and sting you at any given moment.. Big Baby, Nate and yes Jermaine O' Neal among a true center on the bench and this kid Rada Ronjo is improving .. Yes KG is getting old but don't count the man out .. Meanwhile what the Heat may have to do is to play the big 3 all the time comes playoff time, with a relatively brittle Dwayne Wade (Style of play makes him prone to injuries anyway...) While Chris Bosh is very good .. Teams like the Celtics will give him fit with enough hard , mean bodies to send at him making the Heat rely on Lebron and Wade ... Lebron is tough to guard, no doubt but the Celtics have shown how to frustrate him, they have the size and the personnel to do so.. The Orlando Magic remain formidable and you have strange teams in the East that can tire a good team even if they ultimately loose... Atlanta for one .. So for the Heat, not a given, not yet ...

On the role of Riley... I am not sure Riley can claim to tbe the Architect of Showtime, Magic was .. TO me the best payer I have seen .. I know MJ is the GOAT but Magic may likely be the only player who can score 2 point and just beat you plus He can claim to be the only player in the NBA history who could play ANY position and excel at it .. He actually did that .. Played Shooting Guard with Noirm Nixon as the point Guard, then point Guard, played Center in that incredible final game and often played like a power forward in many games against the Celtics ... Man.! I am stopping ..

I agree with you that Durant is real.. I think that Lebron has alienated more people than he thinks .. The "King" , he isn't

CHicago looks very good to me ... If they can land Paul... THe EAst will be a very interesting and dangerous place ...

No the HEat won't get it easy , any team who beats will see it as having beaten the champion .. which suits like the Lakers just fine, the focus is no longer on them ... Their time just got better ...

MJ was arguably the most gifted athlete in any sport (Wilt may be too). From a motor control perspective, MJ was able to automate processes that lesser players couldn't. That allowed MJ to expand his perceptual abilities to encompass say just not the player guarding him, but everyone on the floor. He had a PhD in athletics and motor learning:) As they say, one thing you can't choose in life is your parents!

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Magic may likely be the only player who can score 2 point and just beat you plus He can claim to be the only player in the NBA history who could play ANY position and excel at it .. He actually did that .. Played Shooting Guard with Noirm Nixon as the point Guard, then point Guard, played Center in that incredible final game and often played like a power forward in many games against the Celtics ... Man.! I am stopping ..
If memory serves, Magic was a rookie that year. Kareem was out, so Magic played center. IIRC, he scored 42 in that game and what he didn't score he gave to Jamaal, who IIRC scored 35.

Didn't Magic win the state high school championship, 2 years later won the NCAA tourney with MSU, then 1 year later won the above-referenced NBA title? 3 championships in 4 years. Not bad.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I would say that when it comes to seeing eeryone on the floor .. Magic stands head and shoulders above anyone else ... The Big O could be close ...

yes Ron 42 points 7 assists , 15 rebounds and I think 2 steals ... What people forget about Magic is that he changed his style of play because of his knees... When he started he was flying like any kid his age then he knees started acting up and he played differently, less vertically , more horizontally .. A true legend .. one who was about to beat you with elegance ...

Yep must rememebr that Michigan State wan't supposed to win .. but then Magic was there ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I would say that when it comes to seeing eeryone on the floor .. Magic stands head and shoulders above anyone else ... The Big O could be close ...

yes Ron 42 points 7 assists , 15 rebounds and I think 2 steals ... What people forget about Magic is that he changed his style of play because of his knees... When he started he was flying like any kid his age then he knees started acting up and he played differently, less vertically , more horizontally .. A true legend .. one who was about to beat you with elegance ...

Yep must rememebr that Michigan State wan't supposed to win .. but then Magic was there ...

Well can only report on what the tests showed :)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The beginning of the rivalry that would elevate the status of the NBA in the decade of the 80s. BTW, what ever happened to Greg Kelser?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Well with Kobe taking 25 to 30 shots a game, Gasol 20 or so and Odom 10, doesn't leave a whole lot to go around

Agreed, but they won, and it's not all about # of shots. The eight or nine guys who contributed where put in a place to use their skills, whatever they were. Bulls had a bunch of guys, like Dennis Rodman/Scott Williams forex., who didn't score but were essential. He managed to keep Artest focused and engaged.

On the role of Riley... I am not sure Riley can claim to the Architect of Showtime, Magic was .. TO me the best payer I have seen .. I know MJ is the GOAT but Magic may likely be the only player who can score 2 point and just beat you plus He can claim to be the only player in the NBA history who could play ANY position and excel at it .. He actually did that .. Played Shooting Guard with Noirm Nixon as the point Guard, then point Guard, played Center in that incredible final game and often played like a power forward in many games against the Celtics ... Man.! I am stopping ..

Chicago looks very good to me ... If they can land Paul... The East will be a very interesting and dangerous place ...

No the Heat won't get it easy , any team who beats them will see it as having beaten the champion .. which suits like the Lakers just fine, the focus is no longer on them ... Their team just got better ...

Tough to compare soccer and basketball, as I think the spread out nature of the former and simple number of players dilutes individual contribution somewhat -- not unlike football.

Agreed about needing a bench in hoop, I expect Riley will do what Doc Rivers did this year and limit minutes until playoff time. And more to the point, yeah, that is the obvious weakness of the team. Absolutely not a given, but the favorite in the East to me. I think Rondo was the Celtics MVP this year btw.

Riley needed Magic, the same for PJ with MJ and Kobe. Magic 42 points at center that one game was insane. But I think he generally had deeper, more talented teams than MJ to win with, and was certainly not the athlete or scorer (game in/out). Better court vision though. That's the disappointment with LeB -- combines Magic's court vision w/MJs athleticism, only bigger -- yet lacks the heart and will to lead his own team. As to Myles' point about Jordan the athlete, yeah, I think the game became 'slower' for him that just about anybody else. This is what allowed him to become an excellent passer, a skill he didn't enter the league with.

Bulls have Rose, so they don't need Paul. There will be a bunch of teams bending over backwards for him and Deron Williams if he views Utah as a sinking ship.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think it's up in the air. They fired the GM who he didn't get along with.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Grew up in Chicago and remain a Bulls fan despite 20+ years in NYC. Big black Mercedes once pulled up when I was shooting around with some friends back home. Michael Jordan stepped out, asked if he could play. Told him sure, if he thought he could stay on the court with us. Was a blast.

Closest I'd ever come to that before was covering Mike McGee (ex Laker) for a pickup game at U of Mich. I use the word 'cover' very loosely, not that I didn't try.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
yep, a good one to bore my kids with

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Agreed, but they won, and it's not all about # of shots. The eight or nine guys who contributed where put in a place to use their skills, whatever they were. Bulls had a bunch of guys, like Dennis Rodman/Scott Williams forex., who didn't score but were essential. He managed to keep Artest focused and engaged.

All I was saying is where are those 10 shots going to come from? :) No question on the teamwork. But Kobe still puts the team on his back and wills them to win.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
something LeBron hasn't figured out how to do yet

I tend to agree but I also suspect that Lebron didn't let on about the extent of his elbow injury. That said, when he had to step up, he stumbled. 3/14 game 5 and 27 pts on 8/21 shooting in game 6. He was horrible from 3 pt. land too.

It's really interesting how great athletes always step up to the plate and shine when the spotlight is on them--like Mr. October, Reggie Jackson. MJ was the same way. Mark Spitz. Wayne Gretzky. Mark Messier. Bill Russell. The list goes on.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing