Lakers Acquire Matt Barnes

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
IMO this is one heck of a trade much the same as the Lakers getting Ron Artest last year. I always liked the in your face type of defense played by Barnes especially on Kobe. The league next year will have a huge realignment of power with attention obviously being given to the Heat and their big three. As well there is great parity between East and West and it will be increasingly more difficult for the Lakers to emerge as victors of the Western Conference so to get Barnes is a big plus.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The Lakers bench is just amazingly, significantly improved over the past 2 years. Since the Lakers went to the finals the past 2 years, this does not bode well for the Western Conference. The only thing keeping them from appearing in the finals for a 3rd straight year will be injuries. I don't see any other team in the West overtaking them, although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the number 2 seed turns out to be the Thunder.

Steve Williams

Ron before I read the lst line of youtr post, like you I was thinking Thunder. They will be the Cinderella team this year and could win it all if KD is as good this year as last. He is a heck of a player

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Living in Miami I am inundated by claims of "best team ever" ... My take : There has been several such trials in history not only in Basketball but also in soccer.. it doesn't necessarily work... The Amsterdam Ajax had an incredibly long list of great players amongst them one of the best ever Johan Cruyff .. More recently Real de Madrid : (Ronaldo, Zidane, Roberto Carlos, David Beckham and several other ulta stars ) they won nothing.. You need a bench and supporting players because when comes playoff time... They will win every games in the regular season but when come the playoffs, the Celtics however old you think they are. will be ready so will the Magic with Dwight Howard improving and Chicago .. full of youth and determination plus Carlos Boozer ....Meanwhile my beloved Lakers, still have Kobe, Pau, Lamar, Crazy Ron and now Matt Barnes a stiffing defender...

It looks good for the Lakers don't be surprised if they have to play the Celtics or someone else from the East, it will not be the heat.

Steve Williams

Interesting Frantz. I never knew you to be a Lakers fan. They have been my team for almost 40 years. Now if Luke Walton is healthy (rumor his back injury will keep him out the entire year) their bench will be as deep as ever.

I was disappointed that Josh Powell and Jordan Farmar are gone as I liked the way they played just not enough minutes to make them happy

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Meanwhile my beloved Lakers, still have Kobe, Pau, Lamar, Crazy Ron and now Matt Barnes a stiffing defender...
One of the most classic lines in an interview was right after they won Game 7 when he thanked his therapist. Absolutely precious.

Interesting question, at least to me: now that they won, and they won Game 7 mostly because of his play, what will he be like next year?

Steve Williams

When he is on his game both defensively as well as offensively he is terrific but those moments are apparently few and far between. Thank goodness he showed up for game 7 and yes that was a classic line. All of the players in the league say he is the toughest and strongest of players

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
it doesn't necessarily work... The Amsterdam Ajax had an incredibly long list of great players amongst them one of the best ever Johan Cruyff .. More recently Real de Madrid : (Ronaldo, Zidane, Roberto Carlos, David Beckham and several other ulta stars ) they won nothing..

3 out of 5 on the floor/field is different from 3 out of 11 for any kind of football (European or American) I think they're the favorite in the East. Unfortunately, as the whole show nauseated me. LeBron acknowledged that he can't lead a championship team, yet he's The King. Such is the era in the NBA. Where's John Houseman to say he's got to 'earn it'. However, if he plays point forward (as he should have in Cle -- that they didn't run a motion offense w/a guy who has Magic-like court vision is a crime, and getting a slow oak tree in the middle, aka Shaq, only compounded it) which I expect Riley (yes, Riley) to implement because of the aforementioned and that Wade will be relieved to play more off the ball and Bosh needs to be fed, they will be almost impossible to stop with another shooter and rebounder on the floor.

K. Durant wil be the new face of the NBA. Quietly re-signed to the city that backed him, the push begins as headliner on the national team.

As a Chicago fan, I'm excited to see how Rose and Boozer work the pick 'n roll. Started to develop it w/Noah last year, but Noah can only cut to the hole ultimately as he can't shoot. Kinda limiting. Pray that Boozer proves to be a man with presence on the floor and doesn't sit out the season with ticky-tack injuries.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
One of the most classic lines in an interview was right after they won Game 7 when he thanked his therapist. Absolutely precious.

Repeatedly thanked his therapist. This was priceless!

Steve Williams

Bob

I also agree about KD. A class act and no show boating like the King and the Cavs. He is a scary different type of player than LeBron each great in a different way.KD is a throwback to l.lthe 70s with long lanky players who could run,pass,dribble and dunk.

As to Miami, I agree with Frantz that to some extent they've spent their budget for these 3 guys and will have journeymen for the bench. I also agree with you and where is that distinguished man who says "you have to earn it"

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
70s with long lanky players who could run,pass,dribble and dunk.

Yeah, kinda like George Gervin w/another 4" and less selfish.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
IMO this is one heck of a trade much the same as the Lakers getting Ron Artest last year. I always liked the in your face type of defense played by Barnes especially on Kobe. The league next year will have a huge realignment of power with attention obviously being given to the Heat and their big three. As well there is great parity between East and West and it will be increasingly more difficult for the Lakers to emerge as victors of the Western Conference so to get Barnes is a big plus.

Hmmmm....eighth team in nine years? He even played a year for the Knicks who dropped him :)

Steve Williams

Hmmmm....eighth team in nine years? He even played a year for the Knicks who dropped him :)

BTW how many teams had Ron Artest played for before winning game 7 for the Lakers

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
BTW how many teams had Ron Artest played for before winning game 7 for the Lakers

Do two go rounds count as one or two? 6 in 11 years but couple go rounds with Chi and Ind (actually 3).

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
A mark of good coaches is understanding the abilities of role players and putting them in a position to utilize them. John Paxson/Steve Kerr got 10 open jumpers a game. Phil Jackson will utilize Barnes well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing