LaFerrari hybrid at $1.5m

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
New flagship http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/laferrari-the-new-supercar-from-maranello/

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Only a fifth of the power comes from the electric motors..........I love it already! :D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't know...would rather have a gas only version...It would perform superior without all that battery/electric motor weight. If I wanted hybrid, I would go Prius...;)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Worth watching all the videos; absolutely sensational

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Worth watching all the videos; absolutely sensational

What is it with the Italians to so consistently make those Objet d'Art disguised as sports cars :)?? Really ...A Beauty

Also before we talk about electric motors and batteries. The electric part is as Jack mentioned only 1/5 of the power. Still enough to have a ridiculous amount of torque available from idle ... Great low end/low rev torque is a very desirable aspect in high performance driving.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It certainly is a feast. Interesting they don't list the weight in the specs. I bet it would be even faster w/o the added hybrid weight.

Perhaps but did you notice where they put the batteries? Talk about using 'em for better weight distribution. I was loving the irony of the 1/5th power but after watching the video I see the method to the madness. Frantz is right too, Torque!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
As a pure styling exercise, the detailing on this thing is incredible. It is both modern and echoes Ferraris of the past. The slunk down, cab forward look reminds me of a 1967 330 P4:

... or its more modern reinterpretation (a special one off). The front end is pointy like a modern F1 car, but its split air intake looks like a Dino 156 F1:

So much want! Even if I was born the son of an Arab oil tycoon I don't think I would be able to buy one, since they limited production to only 700 copies!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This makes the MacLaren P1 look pedestrian. The Lamborghini Veneno is just utterly grotesque IMO.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Lamborghini Veneno is just utterly grotesque IMO.

Agreed; seems to me Stallone and Judge Dredd are affiliated with the company :D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This makes the MacLaren P1 look pedestrian. .

If we are talking track performance on the same track with pro driver, I put my money on the P1 for the lowest laptimes and by a fair margin. I love the looks of that car...;)

PS: If this car is pedestrian, I'm all in....:D

Attachments

• mclaren-p1-paris.jpg
    mclaren-p1-paris.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 205

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
If we are talking track performance on the same track with pro driver, I put my money on the P1 for the lowest laptimes and by a fair margin. I love the looks of that car...;)

PS: If this car is pedestrian, I'm all in....:D

We'll have to wait for a test drive.. Still our of corners the Ferrari will have much more torque available than a non-hybrid car thus much less wheel spinning and loss of traction out, thus better acceleration out of the corner .. braking may also be better because of the assist from the re-generation, the batteries are placed as to give the car an almost ideal weight distribution ... Those are a lot of "pluses"...We may very much like our ICE but electric is here to stay and provide a lot in term of pure performance

Taste is taste and I don't think the P1 looks pedestrian but it could be from any manufacturer... the design is good but not very strong in term of character. it looks like an exercise in style but with no root .. no past.
This, however car is clearly and strongly a Ferrari .. Shades of the Testarossa, shades of the P of the BB 512 ... Even the round rear lamps scream FERRARI !! A superb stylistic exercise and with an engineering approach to match. .. For once it may even look better in Ferrari canary yellow or even Ferrari Black .. The design is IMHO that strong.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing