La Donna Mobile (as well as the audiophile)

Regarding the Wamm , im not so sure your gonna add more scale bass extension compared to the xlf.
Might be even less. (...)

Then I should have asked for more!!!

But no. The Wamm has larger volume and is less efficient - according to the text books it should have more bass extension than the XLF.

Yes it is to sit below the WAMM

I've heard that the XLF will be retired

That sounds about right Steve as I was offered a really good "price" on a demo pair at a dealer's store awhile ago. I didn't jump, as I am curious as to what the new one will sound and also look like? ;)

That sounds about right Steve as I was offered a really good "price" on a demo pair at a dealer's store awhile ago. I didn't jump, as I am curious as to what the new one will sound and also look like? ;)

So you heard there’s a new one coming also

Speculation is in the $300K range. If so this to me leaves a big gap between the ALEXX and this new model. Or an XLF Mk ll as micro states

So you heard there’s a new one coming also

Speculation is in the $300K range. If so this to me leaves a big gap between the ALEXX and this new model. Or an XLF Mk ll as micro states

I hope you are wrong and the new speaker comes in the price zone of the Magico M6 - $170K.

One of the reasons I let the XLF go was that someone with large experience with Wilson's told me that the Allex's with a pair of Thor Hammer's cost less than the XLF and sounds better - who knows?

I hope you are wrong and the new speaker comes in the price zone of the Magico M6 - $170K.

One of the reasons I let the XLF go was that someone with large experience with Wilson's told me that the Allex's with a pair of Thor Hammer's cost less than the XLF and sounds better - who knows?

But you closed yourself off to SETs with the Alex :)!

david

I read the first page now, if one can sell something at a good moment try something new why not.
I try this with Amps too lol.
Another speaker i would recommend and you dont see Them for sale often , is the kharma exquisite classic doesnt matter if its the older one with the focal audiom tweeter
Special design. ....imo.
Its not a bassmonster but there is more to speakers then bass and scale off course

Last edited:
But you closed yourself off to SETs with the Alex :)!

david

Also with the XLF's, believe me. But please do not tell anyone ...

even without the Thor Hammer the Alexx sounds better than the XLF

I have to agree with you as I have listened to both at the dealers store. More refined from top to bottom to my ears. New crossovers and cabinet IIRC?

why can't you use SET's with the XLf?

Surely you can. But IMHO low/medium tubes will not allow them to show most of their capabilities. We only notice after trying SOTA solid state high power on them - they surely also sound great with tubes - but needed 275W of them.

The XLF is less efficient than the X2-S2 and the impedance is lower.

Only if you accept the overall loss of scale and dynamics due to bass. I heard them several times in the same room -30 feet long - as mine. The difference in scale is enormous. IMHO the Alexx is a big Alexia II - the XLF plays is another league. If the replacement of the XLF is too expensive I will consider going back to the XLF without regrets.

The happy person who got mine could have bought the Alexx much cheaper than the XLF's and did not hesitate.

Only if you accept the overall loss of scale and dynamics due to bass. I heard them several times in the same room -30 feet long - as mine. The difference in scale is enormous. IMHO the Alexx is a big Alexia II - the XLF plays is another league. If the replacement of the XLF is too expensive I will consider going back to the XLF without regrets.

The happy person who got mine could have bought the Alexx much cheaper than the XLF's and did not hesitate.

Francisco,
congrats for your system in progress.
Just to correct the title which is: La Donna è mobile.
sung by the Duke of Mantua in Verdi's opera, "Rigoletto. :)

He says he has good results with the lamm i think they are 110 watts per channel , the dart will be another story i suppose on the sound labs , 1 brands 100 watts aint the other brands 100 watts , oversized power supplies and what not

He says he has good results with the lamm i think they are 110 watts per channel , the dart will be another story i suppose on the sound labs , 1 brands 100 watts aint the other brands 100 watts , oversized power supplies and what not

I do not think is right choise.
I had Lamm 1.2 and Dart 108 clipping on my system with Avalon Eidolon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing