Krell KBL vs KRC-HR

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I would love to hear from anyone who previously owned a Krell KBL and then upgraded to the KRC-HR and understand what differences you heard. I was told by a very reliable source that the KRC-HR is a much better sounding preamp than the KBL and I don’t take that comment lightly because I know how good the KBL is.

I just bought a KRC-HR from the original owner and it should be here in time for the weekend. I will not put my KBL up for sale until I hear for myself that the KRC-HR is a better preamp. I was told by my knowledgeable source (and you know who you are) not to sell my KPE-Reference or my KSA-250. I was strongly advised to unload my KBL and buy the KRC-HR. This is the one I just bought:

IMG_5578.JPG IMG_5579.JPG IMG_5580.JPG IMG_5581.JPG

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The KBL is no slouch, so if there's a significant improvement, you're in for a treat! I didn't upgrade to the KRC, so I don't have any worthwhile comparison to offer. I'm so glad that your KSA-250 is staying!

Good luck!

Lee

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations! I am not a reliable source, ;), but I have owned the KBL, the KRC and the KRC HR. For me there is no doubt that the KRC HR was much more detailed, bass was more delineated and had better soundstage than the KBL. Soprano voices had less haze - the KRC is more tube like in the good sense of the word. As usual, wether these qualities can be considered improvements will depend on the system. BTW, the KRC needs a long warm up - it should be kept in standby all the the time.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Congratulations! I am not a reliable source, ;), but I have owned the KBL, the KRC and the KRC HR. For me there is no doubt that the KRC HR was much more detailed, bass was more delineated and had better soundstage than the KBL. Soprano voices had less haze - the KRC is more tube like in the good sense of the word. As usual, wether these qualities can be considered improvements will depend on the system. BTW, the KRC needs a long warm up - it should be kept in standby all the the time.

Micro-I find all of your comments to be pretty much spot on with what I was told. I was given a descriptor comparison between my KBL and the KRC-HR. I was told my KBL sounded like Solution electronics in comparison to the KRC-HR and the KRC-HR had ‘soul.’ I was also told the soundstage was bigger and deeper with the KRC-HR. If the bass is even better than the KBL, that is huge as well.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I owned all three just as micro and agree that the KRC-HR was a special preamp

It should be here tomorrow and the pictures I took were the pictures the guy I bought it from took as he was packing it up. As for leaving it in stand-by, neither my KPE-Reference or KBL has an on-off switch. They were both designed to be plugged into the wall and left on 24/7 which is what I do. I don't believe the KRC-HR has an on-off switch either.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Whats makes the KSA 250 a special Krell ...?

For starters:
250 watts into 8 ohms
500 watts into 4 ohms
1000 watts into 2 ohms
2000 watts into 1 ohm
4000 watts into .5 ohm

If you have a chance to hear a properly functioning KSA-250, I think you would understand why some (or at least me) consider it to be a special amp. I think there are very few amps that can put out this type of power with the sound quality that I feel the KSA-250 possesses. It's like the book (or movie) "Love Story." Owning a Krell KSA-250 means never having to say you are sorry.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
How does it compare to the FPB series, i'm asking because i have a friend looking to purchase an FPB300 and my KSA200 years back was "OK" ,good amplifier , definitely not special ...!!!

Regards,

mep

Apr 20, 2010
UPS showed up last night with the Krell KRC-HR at around 7:15 PM. It arrived in beautiful condition and looked just like the pictures I posted from when the seller was packing it to ship to me. I removed the KBL from my system and installed the KRC-HR and was able to get in a couple of hours of ‘cold’ listening. And by ‘cold’ I mean I had to turn my entire system off to disconnect the KBL and hook up the KRC-HR.

I’m not ready to post preliminary thoughts yet for those who are remotely interested. Tonight should be a better test as all of my gear (except for the KSA-250 and Ampex 350s) have been on since last night.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
How does it compare to the FPB series, i'm asking because i have a friend looking to purchase an FPB300 and my KSA200 years back was "OK" ,good amplifier , definitely not special ...!!!

Regards,

Honestly, I have no idea on how the two amps compare as I have never heard the FPB series. There are others on this forum who have owned both, and maybe they can enlighten you (us).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Honestly, I have no idea on how the two amps compare as I have never heard the FPB series. There are others on this forum who have owned both, and maybe they can enlighten you (us).

I have owned the KSA and an FPB750MCX. Both classics. The 750's had power beyond anything I have ever owned

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned the KSA and an FPB750MCX. Both classics. The 750's had power beyond anything I have ever owned

The 750MCX's also spend some time in my room. Crazy days!

Attachments

• aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 1,205

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The 750MCX's also spend some time in my room. Crazy days!

Plus I see that you have my favorite component of all time, the kps25sc. The most technologically advanced component I have ever owned.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Plus I see that you have my favorite component of all time, the kps25sc. The most technologically advanced component I have ever owned.

I have read many good things about this one...i then happened to listen to its digital out compared to an ARC CD5 digital out...i was (and still am) looking for a transport. The 3 of us felt the ARC CD5 digital out was superior as a transport. The Krell felt slightly rough. It is an old piece of equipment...just curious if maybe we missed something in the brief audition.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Not anymore. From the equipment shown in the photograph, only the big VTLs are still in house.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I know I'm barely into hearing the KRC-HR in my system, but so far I'm not feeling it over the KBL. I'm trying to come to grips with purity vs. sterility. No doubt in my mind that the KRC-HR has taken purity to another level.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing