Knowing

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My wife got a copy of Knowing with Nicolas Cage as a stocking stuffer (we both like his acting and movies). We just watched it together: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448011/

The word that comes to mind regarding the whole movie is "competent." You never get the feeling that this movie was poorly done. The ending effects for example is top notch. Alas, the premise of the movie starts interesting and gradually fizzles as it gets to the end. The ending is unsatisfying. Character chemistry between actors and kids doesn't gel and really work. Again, good effort, but results aren't there.

The movie is neither horror or science fiction but attempts to rely on both heavily at times. That confused premise also detracts from the movie.

Overall, it is worth watching as a rental. It is fast paced and keeps you engaged. As a purchase, it is harder to justify.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
My wife and I watched it free on Comcast On Demand Thursday evening and I agree with virtually everything you said Amir. I found myself entertained, but wouldn't seek it out to watch again. I must say though that the scene where the plane crashes is one of the most incredible special effect efforts I've ever seen. I was terrified watching it.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I recently watch this movie on DVD and agree with what has been said.

I used the firestorm at the end to test the calibration of my speakers and my new Blu-ray player installation.

Single subwoofer, and it was getting a good workout.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I can't quite get a handle on Nicholas Cage. He has been downright brilliant -- Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, Guarding Tess, Matchstick Men... He can be very competent and charming in a Hollywood sort of way -- The Rock, Peggy Sue Got Married, National Treasure... He can, on occasion, be just awful -- Con Air, possibly the worst southern accent on screen in the last 50 years. And then, fairly often, he gets involved in projects that are just not worth the film they're shot on and you wonder if he has money problems or something -- Ghost Rider, Gone in 60 Seconds...

But when he is good, he is very, very, good, so I keep watching.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Interesting. Well, unlike a lot of Hollywood stars who play variations on their one star character repeatedly, Cage is the real deal who has done several really good roles. He is character actor talent in a leading man persona.

Tim

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Mr Cage starred in; Bad Lieutenant - Port of call New Orleans.................hope it eased his tax obligations.

It was so bad that it was good, a "B-Movie" that refused to be a "B-Movie". It had a few surprises (shock value), glad I watched it.

He also did a motorcycle rider on fire comic book character movie a while back, a real stinker, I could not force myself past the 1/3 mark.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
About Mel Gibson? ...And Mickey Rourke?

Mel went nuts. Maybe he was always a little nuts and had better publicists before, who can be sure. But other than the fact that he seems to have developed a deep love for extreme, unnecessary violence, his movies are still pretty good. But he was always more of a movie star than a serious actor.

Micky Rourke, I think, is the opposite of Nick Cage. He has made a pretty small number of films for his years and reputation in the business. And while sometimes he's brilliant, other times he seems to just phone it in. Maybe he has substance or emotional problems. I don't know; I don't keep up with the personal lives of celebrities. Maybe he's just lazy.

Tim

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Mel went nuts. Maybe he was always a little nuts and had better publicists before, who can be sure. But other than the fact that he seems to have developed a deep love for extreme, unnecessary violence, his movies are still pretty good. But he was always more of a movie star than a serious actor.
I watched Mel's movie "Apocalypto" last night on my new Blu-Ray player, he might me a crazy genius. A very powerful movie, I'd give it it's own thread but it is a bit too much for most people, not a date movie would be putting it too lightly.

I might need a larger screen just so that I can read those subtitles better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing