King/Celllo input cap brands

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have the Sidereals . There has been lots of talk of Mundorf and Duelund caps. Who is using what ? and what values ? The bottom line, what is best....:confused:

1 uF Mundorf Au/Ag in oil. As I said, light years better than Sidereals. Tried the Sidereals years ago when rebuilding my Magnepans. Didn't sound good then and don't sound any better nowadays either. BTW, Rich had brought over the Sidereal equipped version and the Mundorf unit was better on EVERY way! Have to burn in the Duelands and have Charlie install them (of course, the Duelands are much more expensive). Two others to consider are the Clarity-MR (used in my Doshi phono and Nick thinks they're better than Teflons) and VR Teflon caps (used them in the Bottlehead Repro).

from humble homemade...

Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil 1200VDC – 2% tolerance

Technical specifications (according to manufacturer): "The MCap® SUPREME silver/gold/oil is definitely the top-of-the line model of our oil impregnated capacitors. In comparison with the Silver/Oil version, it technically features a further extended lifetime. More importantly, sonically the Silver/Gold/Oil version stands out due to its wonderful natural singing and exceptional micro dynamic, same time." Capacitance: 0.010uF-10uF; Dielectric: Polyprophylene; Metallisation: 99.99% silver, 1% gold; Purity of silver: min. 99.97% typ. 99.99%; Purity of gold: min. 99.97% typ. 99.99%

Sound: At this level we are talking about a really serious capacitor, so my findings are relative to other exotic types. They are richer and better layered than the Mundorf Silver/Gold, they seem more open and more spatial. Compared to the Duelund VSF copper they are not as well harmonically structured. The Duelund VSF copper capacitor creates smoother harmonics and a better midrange balance. The Silver/Gold/Oil excels in image depth, call it "bowling alley depth"! In direct comparison the Duelund VSF copper sounds flatter. Like the Mundorf Silver/Gold, the Silver/Gold/Oil has a slight top-end emphasis, this probably contributes to the perceived spatiality and micro-detailing. It will depend on the implementation and personal taste, some may prefer the Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil, some may prefer the Duelund VSF copper foil capacitor.

Verdict: 12
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Thanks Christian-seen that too. Not going to disagree that much. But am going to use the Cable Cooker on the Duelands for a week that according to Alan should dramatically improve their sound. If the results are like what I heard with cables,watch out!

The Duelund VSF copper.

Also, here's a pic of my guts...I assume the big light blue rectangular boxes toward the rear are the caps in question that need to be replaced ?

Attachments

• chris 001.jpg
    chris 001.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 626
My King/Cello has Mundorf Silver in Oil, supposedly one step down from the Au/Ag version. I insisted that Mike try the Mundorfs in his K/C and he preferred the Stock
Siderals.
I'm looking forward to hearing what Myles thinks of the Duelands. Hopefully Charlie can bring his unit to compare to the Duelanded K/C. I think Charlie has the Mundorfs in his personal unit.

RB

I have the Sidereals . There has been lots of talk of Mundorf and Duelund caps. Who is using what ? and what values ? The bottom line, what is best....:confused:

i still have my 2 Mundorf Au/Ag oil caps sitting in my cabinet if someone wants them (for whatever is fair).

i may have been impatient waiting for them to settle; but to my ears they were veiled and closed in. i used a reverse RIAA device (for cartridge wire breakin) for 2 weeks on it but it did not clear up....a few hundred hours. i could not wait to remove them.

I have a "Tinkerer" customer who has removed the caps and likes what he hears a lot. Am going to try it with my Serial #1 and compare it to my latest customer unit. Am very skittish about doing this for others as the pre is then totally direct-coupled; and when pared with a direct-coupled pre and amp?????

Charles

Mine has Mundorf as well, not sure what sort of caps, sound is just right to my ears (not a velveted one but very dynamic)

very interesting Mike. Maybe I should leave well enough alone then...hmmmm

Results will vary but if there's one thing the Summits are, it's transparent. :) Perhaps it's differences between equipment as I remember Charlie having to mod the K/C for the DarTZeel electronics.

Before picture

Myles Before[2].jpg

After Dueland cap installation, with thanks to Charlie King!

Myles After1[4].jpg

Myles After2[4].jpg

Will get to hear on Sunday for first time!

Man, I gotta be honest, I haven't seen such uninviting layout and execution since the '80s. This is really a turn-off, I hope it sounds much better that it looks.

Well so far, has bettered two other tape repros in my system and by a wide margin. You're basically looking at a Cello Audio Suite 603 module.

Attachments

• chris 001.jpg
    chris 001.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 141
Christian:

Remember my unit was one of the first the Charlie produced; you have a 'much' later unit!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing