Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Absolutely heartbreaking news.

Ken Ishiwata, *1947 - †2019

Rest in peace, my Dear Friend.

Reactions: RogerD and Bodhi

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Spoke to Ken once at length. Saw him at many shows.

Sad. What happened i.e. what caused his demise?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I was sad to hear the news of Ken's passing. Ken is a true legend of this Industry and leaves an incredible legacy. His amazing passion, dedication and skill raised the bar & made Marantz the respected brand it is today. And such a beautiful soul. R.I.P.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sad to learn about his passing. Not long ago we had him in Lisbon at our local AudioShow . I had the pleasure of listening to him telling about the beginnings of the compact disk and narrating the unknown stories of the Sony/Philips collaboration to build the first CD players. RIP.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Spoke to Ken once at length. Saw him at many shows.

Sad. What happened i.e. what caused his demise?

AFAIK he had some health issues for some time.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
AFAIK he had some health issues for some time.

Now I think about it I have spoken to him a few times over cigarettes outside shows. Just brief chats but I do remember the long one we had about Apogees. He had some Scintillas at one stage. He was using Nautilus last time I asked.

Hope it wasn't the cigarettes.:(

Reactions: Rocoa

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Oh no! He was such a funny and nice guy. He wandered into a store more than 12 hrs ago in HK when I was listening to some music, plonked himself right next to me and chatted at length. I still remember it vividly, listening to Chie Ayado Tennessee Waltz...:(

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Truly sad and the passing of a very amiable gent. R.I.P

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
BTW - the above picture with a Marantz amp looking cake, was taken during Warsaw Audio Video Show back in 2018.

Together with Polish Marantz distributor, we gave him a special cake to commemorate his 40-years with Marantz. Lots of int'l press were present - people like Paul Miller, Ken Kessler, Paul Messanger, Alan Sircom, Doug Schneider etc. Ken Kessler gave a beautiful speach. I have such a fond memories of that evening.

Reactions: Zero000

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing