Keith's food album

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I thought I would start a thread to ... ahem ... show off some of my creations :)

Stuffed quail with lentils. It's a bit more complex than it appears. The quail was tunnel boned - meaning the entire skeleton was removed with the skin and meat intact. I stuffed the cavity with mushroom duxelles and herbs then sowed up the incision with 5-0 surgical suture. 5-0 suture is thinner than hair, and once it is sown using interrupted sutures it is indistinguishable from meat. The quail was then glazed and smoked. What you see on the plate looks like an intact bird, but when you cut into it ... it is boneless :)

Keith's Fried Chicken. Not much technical skill involved, it's just my take on a classic Southern Fried Chicken.

Soft cooked nest egg. The egg was cooked so that the white was set and the yolk still runny. It was placed on a "nest" made from fried corn silk and flavoured with paprika, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, pepper, and salt. Here it is cut open to prove that the yolk was runny :)

Soft cooked egg yolk ravioli with mushroom and truffle. Again, cut open to show the runny yolk.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I thought I would start a thread to ... ahem ... show off some of my creations :)

Stuffed quail with lentils. It's a bit more complex than it appears. The quail was tunnel boned - meaning the entire skeleton was removed with the skin and meat intact. I stuffed the cavity with mushroom duxelles and herbs then sowed up the incision with 5-0 surgical suture. 5-0 suture is thinner than hair, and once it is sown using interrupted sutures it is indistinguishable from meat. The quail was then glazed and smoked. What you see on the plate looks like an intact bird, but when you cut into it ... it is boneless :)

Keith's Fried Chicken. Not much technical skill involved, it's just my take on a classic Southern Fried Chicken.

Soft cooked nest egg. The egg was cooked so that the white was set and the yolk still runny. It was placed on a "nest" made from fried corn silk and flavoured with paprika, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, pepper, and salt. Here it is cut open to prove that the yolk was runny :)

Soft cooked egg yolk ravioli with mushroom and truffle. Again, cut open to show the runny yolk.

Beautiful!

professional Chef?
If simple Amateur , I am utterly impressed and just invited myself to hear your system for a week-end ... Wherever you are :D

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm still scratching my head as to how Keith got an egg yolk into a ravioli!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Hi Frantz, amateur here! Actually I know quite a few audiophiles who take their other hobbies as seriously as audio. I mean, anyone who takes audio seriously has a degree of nerdiness about them. That nerdiness also infests other aspects of life ... in my case, food.

Here are a couple more :)

Stuffed lamb cutlets. To do this, I made a mince mixture with hot paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, and lamb mince. The mince was pressed against the cutlet and wrapped tightly with caul fat. It was then browned in a pan, allowed to cool, then smoked with hickory until perfectly cooked (i.e. my thermometer probe registered 52C). It was topped with a salsa verde then served. The mince protects the lamb from overcooking and locks all the juices in. Take a bite and your mouth is filled with succulent lamb juice.

Grilled hanger steak. Hanger steak is a flavourful cut of meat and nearly as tender as premium cuts. It can be a little gamey (like oxtail). If you do what I did - dry age it in the fridge, followed by a reverse sear on the grill - the gaminess is amplified. I served it with a red wine jus (not pictured) which does tone it down somewhat. Garnishes here - deep fried cauliflower, deep fried enoki mushrooms, asparagus, fava beans, and borlotti beans.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I'm still scratching my head as to how Keith got an egg yolk into a ravioli!

Quite simple :) Make a mixture of ricotta and parmesan and put it in a piping bag. Pipe out a circle on some pasta, then pipe another circle on top so it looks like a stadium. Carefully slide an egg yolk into the center. Brush egg white on the rest of the pasta, and lay a second sheet on top, pressing out all air bubbles. Press hard to seal, then cut with a circle cutter. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the pasta floats. Note that the pasta sheet has to be very thin otherwise it won't cook in time.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You are my new amateur chef foodie idol.

Funny you mentioned the nerdy-ness factor. My friend's wife, also an uber amateur chef, is a molecular biologist.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing