Just landed my dream amplifier....

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I haven't seen but one or two of these, long discontinued, Vac Phi Beta integrated amplifiers on the market. It retailed last for 22k- a "super" integrated, for sure.

Lo and behold today one showed up in Florida and I now own some pure audio jewelry! 100lb chassis made of aircraft aluminum with a separate 40lb power supply. It was discontinued due to cost of manufacture.

http://www.vac-amps.com/Phi_Beta.htm

KeithR

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Good for you. I know there are some folks that have raved about that piece. I wouldn't mind hearing his full on preamp either. Enjoy.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! That is surely a dream amplifier! I remain convinced that improvements of the 'latest latest' are not always improvements...and further that the rate of improvement is far outpaced by the rate of depreciation! No doubt, you've done well. Enjoy!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congrats! That is surely a dream amplifier! I remain convinced that improvements of the 'latest latest' are not always improvements...and further that the rate of improvement is far outpaced by the rate of depreciation! No doubt, you've done well. Enjoy!

Well said Lloyd :) Very true indeed.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It really is a beautiful piece of gear. And there is something to be said for not having more boxes, and cables to connect them. Integrated amps have come a long way......

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I haven't seen but one or two of these, long discontinued, Vac Phi Beta integrated amplifiers on the market. It retailed last for 22k- a "super" integrated, for sure.

Lo and behold today one showed up in Florida and I now own some pure audio jewelry! 100lb chassis made of aircraft aluminum with a separate 40lb power supply. It was discontinued due to cost of manufacture.

KeithR

Way to go Keith!

I know you have been coveting these for some time!!!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Nice looking integrated. From your profile it looks like you have Zu Def 4's. It should have plenty of power for those.:D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

KeithR

Awesome, them VAC pieces will give you many hours of musical listening! :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Keith, I do believe a big congratulations are in order! Nice score. Have you had a chance to sit down and listen to it hooked up in your rig yet and if you don't mind me asking, what tube compliment are you using?

Tom

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hello, Keith, I do believe a big congratulations are in order! Nice score. Have you had a chance to sit down and listen to it hooked up in your rig yet and if you don't mind me asking, what tube compliment are you using?

Tom

I am going to use Shuguang Black Treasure KT88s and NOS RCA clear dome 6NS7s. I have Psvane 12ax7s for the small stuff if need be.

I have heard it at a show long time ago (NYC- with VS VR4jrs), but not in my system.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Oh, man! I absolutely love both of those tubes [Shuguang Black Treasure KT88s and Psvane 12ax7s], they have sounded great to stellar in almost everything I have heard them in so far. How long until you finally get to hear this in your rig? I'm actually excited for you and can only imagine your anticipation.

Tom

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not sure- but really don't have any need for them. Black Treasure KT88s should sound better and I don't need the extra power.

I'm not sure Kevin is a proponent of the KT120?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How is this amp getting 110 watts out of a pair of KT-88 tubes? My ARC VS115 uses four KT-120s per channel and it has roughly the same output. 60-75 watts is more the norm with a pair of KT-88s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing