Just bought a 1980s SPU

denonfans

Mar 29, 2024
London
SPU has been on my mind for over 1 year. Due to its higher price and so many variations. I have missed chances to buy one. A few days ago I revisited the SPU offering on the net and still not decided. Until I read a blog that has same image of one of the offer. It was an early SPU in 1979-1988 they called Harman era. So I decided not bidding but take its buy it now price. SPU GE of 1980s.
It will go on my Micro seiki BL-51X with upgraded 4.5kg platter. I read somewhere SPU may not suit belt drive of lighter mass but due to my two direct drive turntables are occupied by other satisfied cartridges it will temporarily sit on my Micro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynnot and foxtan

foxtan

Mar 29, 2024
Hong Kong
I do own a few vintage SPU, and listened some variation, the SPU Gold GE/AE and SPU Synergy impress me most. All SPU produced before 80's are much better than those in latter production.......

With no offense, your BL-51X tonearm is not a good match with the SPU, it a at most a mid mass tonearm, you cannot fully reveal the potential of SPU with this tonearm........ besides, SPU prefer mate with Step Up Transformer to Phono amp MC input......

Reactions: denonfans

denonfans

Mar 29, 2024
London
I do own a few vintage SPU, and listened some variation, the SPU Gold GE/AE and SPU Synergy impress me most. All SPU produced before 80's are much better than those in latter production.......

With no offense, your BL-51X tonearm is not a good match with the SPU, it a at most a mid mass tonearm, you cannot fully reveal the potential of SPU with this tonearm........ besides, SPU prefer mate with Step Up Transformer to Phono amp MC input......
Yes, I worried. So I added an tonearm stand and prepared Denon DA-305 which is native arm for DL-103 cartridge and also ordered a Fidelity research FR-54 which I read is 16gram mass and quite similar to Ortofon 9inch arm design.

denonfans

Mar 29, 2024
London

For the step up transformer I have the 10/40 times AU-320 to try. If it doesn’t match I think I will let it direct into my MC phono which is spec to take as low as 0.05mV MC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing