Jitter we all have it playing , how does it sound when made better ?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
As I have to products that improve audio over USB with dacs. I have recently had a little more time then usual to play with toys I own .
I did the following tests. Just how much and what parts does jitter effect our music. I will say what I hear but I would very much like to know others opinions as well. One of the dacs I own is in a hdvd800 by sennheiser . It's a combo dac headphone amp. The amp is very good with the hd800. But the dac gets ripped apart in reviews at least the honest ones. So I played one of my reference tracks to try and here just what changes. Well the change is jaw dropping to say the least. But I noticed it's not so much with vocals it's more with horns and most defiantly cymbals . Big time with them. It also effects the base details but also the amount. One of my songs has the cymbals with the rivets they tend to give them more air around them. Well without the AP1/PP they sounded terrible . Like they were just hissing. When I added the unit the level of clarity was amazing . But as it improved the entire sound of the song it clearly effected some more than others. Does anyone here have any thoughts on this .
Al

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think Steve Nugent of Empirical has some pretty strong views on this based on [pardon the pun] empirical evidence...his own live experiments with jitter.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I own his products and audiophileo too. I do not sell any products, but I do use them and they make great improvements .
It I find it interesting how no one tAlks about them. We all buy USB cables , power cables , magnets on wires . He'll I own about 10 k in power just for my office rig alone. I also own a 30 k or so msb platinum sac with a galaxy clock Nd diamond power supply . I also own a msb UMT plus with it's own dual transport power base. . My point to say this I know how good the music we have can sound . Do I am just trying to see how people feel about this topic.

Al

esldude

I use an AP2. I think (though I haven't measured the result vs others) as well as being very low in jitter it does a much nicer job of isolating the DAC from any electrical noise on the USB itself. It does not use xfmrs to have galvanic isolation. It uses balanced TDK Lambda power regeneration chips.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
My offramp has the ISO transformers as well. For both spidif coax and optical. Now the HDMI and rj 45 are i2s and I do not know what they do to isolate those.

Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing