Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson: Thick As A Brick 2

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just received my copy of Ian Anderson: TAAB2.

I am a big believer that once a certain amount of time passes, sequels are rather
a sad joke.

However, I was more than pleasantly surprised by how good Thick As A Brick 2 is.

Anderson is is superb form vocally and his flute and guitar are as good as ever.

Recommend for all Jethro Tull fans

TAAB2.jpg

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Just received my copy of Ian Anderson: TAAB2.

I am a big believer that once a certain amount of time passes, sequels are rather
a sad joke.

However, I was more than pleasantly surprised by how good Thick As A Brick 2 is.

Anderson is is superb form vocally and his flute and guitar are as good as ever.

Recommend for all Jethro Tull fans

View attachment 6728

Is this all new music or a re-make?

Tim

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Being a tremendous fan of Jethro Tull and especially TAAB since it came out in 1972, which is a real statement piece, I bought this several moths ago.

The all-new music is good but not great. They re-use many recognizable motifs from the original and the idea behind it is clever, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original which has excellent music and incredible lyrics.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have been trying to get a good LP copy of this album-the original that is. If anyone has a really nice extra copy they are willing to part with, please PM me.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Being a tremendous fan of Jethro Tull and especially TAAB since it came out in 1972, which is a real statement piece, I bought this several moths ago.

The all-new music is good but not great. They re-use many recognizable motifs from the original and the idea behind it is clever, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original which has excellent music and incredible lyrics.

Of course, it won't match the dizzying heights of the original.

I guess I had very low expectations and found my self thoroughly enjoying it.

Another good one to get is Ian Anderson Plays the Orchestral Jethro Tull.

Really well done.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Andre, I actually had the opposite problem. I had extremely high expectations for this recording.

While certainly being acceptable, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
For those interested in the vinyl, this record is a part of today's Popmarket special - popmarket.com

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, I actually had the opposite problem. I had extremely high expectations for this recording.

While certainly being acceptable, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Interesting how expectations play a huge part in one's enjoyment!

I guess the same applies to HiFi.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Funny, but the 'concept' albums from that era didn't do it for me- yes, Aqualung had some brilliant songs and playing, but go back to Benefit or Stand-Up. Those guys were amazing. I don't think Martin Barre came into the band until Benefit,* but I found his guitar playing memorable, less for pyrotechnics than for the tone. And the guy that played piano with them back in the AquaLung era was truly gifted.
I saw them live once, back in the day; if memory serves, Mountain opened.

*Just checked, Barre was on Stand-Up as well.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Funny, but the 'concept' albums from that era didn't do it for me- yes, Aqualung had some brilliant songs and playing, but go back to Benefit or Stand-Up. Those guys were amazing. I don't think Martin Barre came into the band until Benefit,* but I found his guitar playing memorable, less for pyrotechnics than for the tone. And the guy that played piano with them back in the AquaLung era was truly gifted.
I saw them live once, back in the day; if memory serves, Mountain opened.

*Just checked, Barre was on Stand-Up as well.

Wholly ****. I just spun Benefit today. What an amazing record. What craft. This album, IMO, was the starting
point of Anderson's rise and the building blocks of his great run through the late 70's.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Postscript on older Tull: I listened to Stand-Up tonight, a very clean UK pressing that I bought some years ago. Stand out on Stand-up: 'We Used to Know.' There's all that other good stuff going on in the album but cue this one up if you haven't in a while. Sonically, the album is closed in sounding but the music is incredible.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
So did you notice the similarity of "We Used To Know" to "Hotel California"?

in addition to the obvious stand-outs Stand Up, Benefit and Aqualung, Songs From the Wood and Broadsword and the Beast are outstanding albums. Once you get past those 5, though, you usually only find a couple of songs (or in the case of TAAB and APP, a few minutes here and there) that are memorable.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
So did you notice the similarity of "We Used To Know" to "Hotel California"?

in addition to the obvious stand-outs Stand Up, Benefit and Aqualung, Songs From the Wood and Broadsword and the Beast are outstanding albums. Once you get past those 5, though, you usually only find a couple of songs (or in the case of TAAB and APP, a few minutes here and there) that are memorable.
Yep, chord changes are pretty obvious, no joe walsh though. I don't really know the catalog well beyond Aqualung, when I stopped paying attention to them. I know MEP had that Chris Matthews feeling about Thick, but that's kinda where I turned the corner; I can give the ones you mention a try, though.
I'm now trying to figure out what's what after LZ 1 and II which are the only ones I really listened to- III is now appealing to me in a way it didn't when it came out. I may have to bit the bullet and buy a Classic reissue of that; although I gather Pagey is reissuing everything as boxed sets next year, I'm not very confident about audio quality on vinyl.
thanks for the heads-up on those other Tulls.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yep, chord changes are pretty obvious, no joe walsh though. I don't really know the catalog well beyond Aqualung, when I stopped paying attention to them. I know MEP had that Chris Matthews feeling about Thick, but that's kinda where I turned the corner; I can give the ones you mention a try, though.
I'm now trying to figure out what's what after LZ 1 and II which are the only ones I really listened to- III is now appealing to me in a way it didn't when it came out. I may have to bit the bullet and buy a Classic reissue of that; although I gather Pagey is reissuing everything as boxed sets next year, I'm not very confident about audio quality on vinyl.
thanks for the heads-up on those other Tulls.

Stand Up..wonderful album..and a big step up from the debut album..I have put it in the que!!!

i would not write off the later output so quickly..I highly recommend War Child, Songs From The Wood, Too Old To Rock N Roll, A Passion Play, and especially Minstrel in the Gallery.

The 80's and early 90's were in my opinion rather embarrassing. However, Ian Anderson's solo albums were quite good, especially The Secret Language of Birds.

One Tull exception from that period..Roots To Branches...recaptures the old magic.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Stand Up..wonderful album..and a big step up from the debut album..I have put it in the que!!!

i would not write off the later output so quickly..I highly recommend War Child, Songs From The Wood, Too Old To Rock N Roll, A Passion Play, and especially Minstrel in the Gallery.

The 80's and early 90's were in my opinion rather embarrassing. However, Ian Anderson's solo albums were quite good, especially The Secret Language of Birds.

One Tull exception from that period..Roots To Branches...recaptures the old magic.
Fair enough. I'll start a separate thread on vinyl pressings of LZ III.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing