Janis Ian 'Between the Lines' Remaster v Original Pressing

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I like this album. I have several copies from 1975, including one that i bought a few months ago, sealed. I also bought the recently remastered version.
Today, during a listening session with a few astute listeners assembled (and the TT had just been completely gone over, re-levelling, including arm (remember, I use a lateral tracker), azimuth using the fogozometer, VTF, VTA, etc), i first played the remaster. It sounded lifeless, flat and sterile. Pulled out one of the 1975 copies- the magic was there, much more alive, deep, warm. . . . .Not a rant against remasters in general, but this was surprising, because I thought the remaster was well-received.

That happens a lot, and not only with old vs new remastered LPs. Remastered CDs often suffer the same problem.

Newer is not always better.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That happens a lot, and not only with old vs new remastered LPs. Remastered CDs often suffer the same problem.

Newer is not always better.

And their are many reasons for it including tape aging (or how well the record label took care of the tape that is not a given by any means), which tape they used in remastering (ie was it the original master -- or in worst case scenario--a digital copy) and the remastering process (machine, alignment, cutting, plating, pressing, etc). Lot's of places where the remaster can be screwed up.

In the case of the Boxstar release, Bernie Grundman did the remastering IIRC and he usually does a good job. Now the one mistake that people often make is not adjusting/compensation for VTA/SRA for the significantly thicker 180/200 g reissues. Most of these original rock LPs were pressed on crappy, often recycled vinyl that rivaled Dynawarp. So unless you account for that difference, one can often reach an erroneous conclusion.

OTOH, and I'm notgoing to get into it, there are many other reasons to get reissued LPs.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Janis, Welcome to WBF. It's quite unusual for an artist to post to an audio forum. Thanks for the info and sorry to hear about not having control over your own work. It must be very frustrating.

I just got the new Analogue Productions reissue of Breaking Silence and am enjoying it very much. Do you plan on any performances on the west coast?

Sean

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hi Janis, Welcome to WBF. It's quite unusual for an artist to post to an audio forum. Thanks for the info and sorry to hear about not having control over your own work. It must be very frustrating.

I just got the new Analogue Productions reissue of Breaking Silence and am enjoying it very much. Do you plan on any performances on the west coast?

Sean
Sean, I very much doubt she is going to be an active poster here, would be happy to be wrong about that, but it was fabulous that she took the time to weigh in on the sonics of her records. Here's her tour schedule fwiw:

http://www.janisian.com/ontour.php

PS: I agree that Breaking Silence, at least the AP pressing, is a sonic spectacular.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Bill, thanks for the link. Looks like Janis is coming to Portland,OR. next April. That's a 2 1/2 hour drive from me. That might work if it's on a weekend.

Sean

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

janisian

Aug 15, 2012
Sean, I didn't realize there was a new reissue or Breaking Silence - do you have any other information? Vinyl, I assume? Please feel free to email me at janisianmail@earthlink.net, as that's a bit easier for me. (No offense to the forum.)

janisian

Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for the push, Myles - and I always stay after shows to meet people and sign things. Please remind me who you are when we meet!
Love "Vinyl Rules" btw. Wish it was a bumper sticker...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing