JackD201 - Almost Done

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Thanks so much John! I'm just happy the system is now sounding as good as it looks (to me anyway ;) ). All amps are up and running now where before I was just running the M1.2 References. M2.2s have taken over mid-bass duties leaving the 1.2s the easy task of driving the tweeters and the 100dB sensitive midrange units and the 1kW amps running the built in 15" sealed subs.

Hopefully I can finally move my turntable in this week. I got delayed when the painting that's supposed to be behind them had a hook that failed. The painting is up and well secured now so it's all systems go!

All that'll be left is the carpet. The designer should be presenting her patterns for approval soon.

Jack, carpet or an area rug between you and the speakers?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Dan,

Yes they are. They are bass traps clad with a material called Almute. It's compressed and sintered aluminum shavings 3mm of which is very similar to 4" of compressed fiberglass. It's a material commonly used for noise control in sports complexes, concert halls and mass transit areas in Japan. The material was originally developed for the automotive industry and is found inside mufflers. The wave on the ceiling is made of the same material. I just knocked off the exact design from Sony Studios, Tokyo for that one. I wanted a certain look for the bass traps so I sketched it out and had a 3-D CAD model made. The file was sent to the acoustical engineer in Japan for him to crunch the numbers. My acoustician worked around those numbers making adjustments in the more conventional ceiling bass traps in the rear of the room.

Lee,

You betcha!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Gavin,

The rug will extend from in front of the speakers all the way to the couches at the rear. It won't cover the walk ways to the equipment racks to the left and the bar to the right. :)

I guess you could call it a sasquatch area rug. :D

Jack

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Any plans for diffusion on the front wall?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes and No brother. If you look closely, the wood panels are diffusive so that's the yes. Our VS' like reflective center front walls hence the painting hanging there. It makes the use of our ambience tweeters more flexible by allowing us to calibrate stage depth. Ambience tweeters off makes for a deep stage, up moves the stage forward and adds corner fill. I believe Manny's room in LA is the same way.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Spectacular room Jack -- great choices in materials, color schemes, etc.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Steve!

Thanks Rich!

Hey Bob, Knut and I sealed the deal. I should get my hands on some Soulshines and A3.5s by mid February. Time to grab some TFK802S'!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
That Lao painting creates a lot of depth, like a portal in a science fiction film to another time and/or dimension.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wow!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's a guest bedroom waiting for you guys. My wife and I are handy around the kitchen so expect happy bellies too!

Mullard, my sched is light from tuesday to thursday. Just let me know if yours is as well. I want to see what you've been cooking up in your lab these days :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Jack if I remeber correctly ,as impressive as your system is ,it is the second best Von Schweikert setup in Manilla. Frightening!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes indeed Reg, and that one just took delivery of a VTL 7.5 Series III. Jim is in Osaka now. I hope he brings home some LPs for his kid brother! ;) ;) ;)

Jim, if you're lurking using the wife's iPad, buy doubles please!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Hi Dan,

Yes they are. They are bass traps clad with a material called Almute. It's compressed and sintered aluminum shavings 3mm of which is very similar to 4" of compressed fiberglass. It's a material commonly used for noise control in sports complexes, concert halls and mass transit areas in Japan. The material was originally developed for the automotive industry and is found inside mufflers. The wave on the ceiling is made of the same material. I just knocked off the exact design from Sony Studios, Tokyo for that one. I wanted a certain look for the bass traps so I sketched it out and had a 3-D CAD model made. The file was sent to the acoustical engineer in Japan for him to crunch the numbers. My acoustician worked around those numbers making adjustments in the more conventional ceiling bass traps in the rear of the room.

Lee,

You betcha!

Jack-

If they work as good as they look, I think you need to start a business.

I'll be your first customer. ;-)

Dan

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My supplier beat me to it! ;) ;) ;) The company is called PAD Inc. They are the distributors of Almute here. The cool thing is through them I got access to their acoustical engineers for just the price of the materials. I guess it helps that I went to school with the company's owner. Hehehe. I don't have the capability (nowhere near it) to run the simulations required for a custom design. They even gave me the option to buy the "Sony" wave ready made or have it built myself. They do suck up a lot of bass. Nothing a prism tower or cylinder of fiberglass can't do just as well and for pretty much the same costs but there's that coolness factor to the look I couldn't resist. It's that Superman fortress of solitude thing :)

PEER Inc. handles the US and Canada

Here's a link to their site.

http://www.almute.com/

I have a boisterous extended family. I have panels in our dining room as well glued to perforated gypsum boards on the ceiling. Our ears no longer bleed when all 14 of us are horsing around at the dinner table.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing