It's Oscar Time-Predictions Anyone?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
well it's that time of year for Oscar presentation.

I usually go out on a limb and give my predictions in the top 6 categories. You may or may not agree so feel free to post your predictions

Best Picture

This is a difficult one as my sentimental favorite was Dallas Buyer's Club. In terms of who will win, I am going with 12 Years A Slave

there has been a huge marketing and media blitz by the producers of American Hustle. I remember when that happened last Shakespeare in Love won Best Picture beating out the favorite Saving Private Ryan. This could happen

Best Director

also a tough one as I have never understood how a director can win the oscar but not his film and vice versa. Difficult to ignore Steve McQueen for 12 Years A Slave but I am going with Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity. The work that he and his son did on this movie was for me the closest I will ever get to being in space. I was mesmeried by this film in iMax 3D

Best Actor

Hands down this should go to Mathew McConaughey as he was that good in the role. Certainly the dark horse is Leo in Wolf Of Wall Street but not for me

Best Supporting Actor

If Jared Leto doesn't win this it will be a huge travesty. It took me the first 20 minutes of the film to realize he was a guy in the role

Best Actress

No doubt in my mind that Cate Blanchett will win the Oscar

Best Supporting Actress

My sentimental favorite here was June Squibb in Nebraska but this year she will be eclipsed by the winner Lupita Nyongo in 12 Years A Slave

BTW, this is the second year in a row that David O Russell's film has been nominated in all 6 major awards

American Hustle was certainly good but no where close to Silver Linings Playbook from last year (which didn't win Best Picture)

so what do the rest of you think?

Feel free to post your predictions

My wife and I have had an Academy Awards party every year for the past 25 years so we are into it

God morning Steve! I love the passion you and your wife have for movies and I enjoy reading your movie threads a lot. I sometimes even act on them by going to see the movie. Although this winter I didn't partake in any as I was mostly hibernating from the bad weather and preferred to stay indoors. Most of these movies are likely no longer in theatres, but I do intend on getting the Blu-rays of 12 Years A Slave, Dallas Buyer's Club and Wolf of Wall Street. I just picked up Gravity and hope to watch it later today.

Have a blast at your Academy Awards party and enjoy the show! :D

Thanks John

This Oscar party of ours that we do annually now spans more than 25 years

All food is related in some way to the nominated films

When we send out invitations they include the list of nominees in each category. Those who RSVP to attend fill out their ballots and we tally those and put each winner in a separate envelope. When the result of each category is announced, we have an attendee read "our" results in that category.

Fun night all around

First year we did it, we served veal oscar

Tonight we are having a red carpet for when guests arrive

You are probably right on all of them but I would have one exception: Best Picture - Dallas Buyers Club.

You are probably right on all of them but I would have one exception: Best Picture - Dallas Buyers Club.

I agree

If I had a vote BEST Picture hands down was Dallas Buyers Club

I predict the Oscar show will be as exciting as watching grass grow. In fact, I would rather watch my grass grow than watch the Oscars. Since we are still in the dead of winter, it would really, really, be boring to even wait for my grass to start growing. Even so, I would still rather wait to watch my grass grow than watch a bunch of numb-nut actors make horrid little speeches.

We also have an Oscar Party. It's pot luck and Oscar themed. I won the ballot contest last year and my prize was a chocolate Oscar!

Best Picture - 12 Years A Slave

Best Actor - Matthew McConaughey (would prefer Chiwetel Ejiofor)

Best Actress - Cate Blanchett (Only mystery in this category is what will she say about Woody Allen)

Best Supporting Actor - Jared Leto

Best Supporting Actress - Lupita Nyong'o

Directing - Alfonso Cuaron

Best Foreign Language - The Great Beauty (although I wouldn't be shcoked if The Broken Circle Breakdown wins)

Adapted Screenplay - 12 Years a Slave

Original Screenplay - Her (going with my heart; I think American Hustle will win)

Animated Feature - Frozen (a weak year for animated film)

Production Design - American Hustle

Cinematography - Gravity

Documentary Feature - 20 Feet From Stardom

Documentary Short Subject - The Lady In Number 6: Music Saved My Life

Film Editing - Gravity

Makeup and Hairstyling - Dallas Buyers Club

Animated Short - Mr. Hublot (wild ass guess, I've only seen Get A Horse)

Live Action Short - The Voorman Problem (although wouldn't be shocked if Avant Que De Tout Peredre wins)

Visual Effects - Gravity

Production Design - American Hustle

Cinematography - Gravity

Sound Mixing - Gravity

Sound Editing - Gravity

Original Score - Gravity

Original Song - Let It Go

Costume Design - American Hustle

We also have an Oscar Party. It's pot luck and Oscar themed. I won the ballot contest last year and my prize was a chocolate Oscar!

Must be a west coast thing.

Well my prior analysis was clearly wrong. A depressing movie won as the serious subject matter overwraught the emotion. Congrats to McQueen.

Thought McConaughy delivered one of the most memorable speeches of our time- and didnt forget his roots, alright, alright, alright!

Bummed about zero surprises this year- wonder if the new social media world impacts voting?

The only shocker to me was 'Helium' winning the Live Action Short....I thought it was the weakest one in the group.

it was painful to see what the years, weight gain and many facial cosmetic surgeries have done to Liza Minelli and Kim Novak

I thought that Ellen's wise crack joke about Liza being a man dressed as Liza was horribly insulting

Anyone think Cate Blanchette insulted Sandra Bullock with the comment about her performance feeling like an eternity?

I really enjoyed the show; and yes, the joke about Minelli (especially the "well done, sir") I thought was unnecessary; ditto for Kate's "eternity" comment - uncalled for.

Anyone think Cate Blanchette insulted Sandra Bullock with the comment about her performance feeling like an eternity?

Blachett praised Bullock's performance, along with the performances of the other actresses nominated in her category. She strongly implied that sitting through the movie felt like an eternity.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing