Isotech burn in disc

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Am purchasing a CDP that, per reviews and my dealer, needs 400 hours or so of "burn in" before it sounds near optimum. It can also be used on cables and other hardware.

I respectfully request that those who feel that "burn in" is voodo, has no scientific basis, ect. refrain from posting. We've been there, done that. No need for another food fight. :eek:

This disc was developed by Esoteric.

I would like comments from those who have used this, or other similar products, and its effect on "speeding up" the break in process.

Also, this and the "Ayre" disc have a track that supposedly addresses magnetic build up in an audio system. The claim is that it cleans up this residual effect resulting in better sound. FWIW, the Isotech disc was favorably reviewed by TAS.

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments / insights.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have the CD developed by Ayre, Irrational but Effervescence, and used it a few times. I don't know about the burn-in part, but I can't honestly say if I hear any difference in the system after using it. I just ripped it yesterday to my music server, and then played it. Again, no apparent difference.

There is one track where they use a signal generator to sweep from low to high, but I don't know what the range is. However, turned up the low can shake the house, and I can hear the upper end until almost the end of the track. So that was sort of interesting to me.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Am purchasing a CDP that, per reviews and my dealer, needs 400 hours or so of "burn in" before it sounds near optimum. It can also be used on cables and other hardware.
I respectfully request that those who feel that "burn in" is voodo, has no scientific basis, ect. refrain from posting. We've been there, done that. No need for another food fight. :eek:
I would like comments from those who have used this, or other similar products, and its effect on "speeding up" the break in process.

Also, this and the "Ayre" disc have a track that supposedly addresses magnetic build up in an audio system. The claim is that it cleans up this residual effect resulting in better sound. FWIW, the Isotech disc was favorably reviewed by TAS.

Both the Burn-in CDs of Esoteric and Monitor Audio employ technology from Isotek :
http://www.isoteksystems.com/cgi-bin/products.pl?id=17
http://www.elusivedisc.com/ESOTERIC...R-REJUVENATION-DISC-CD/productinfo/ESOBURNIN/
http://www.dougbradyhifi.com/p-1811-monitor-audio-detox-cd.aspx

The XLO burn-in may be the oldest, launched >10 yrs ago. I bought it and used it frequently.
Then Isotek launched its burn-in CD and the effect surpasses that of XLO.
Isotek oem the tracks to Esoteric & Monitor Audio during the recent few years.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Actually, the disc was not developed by Esoteric.

In CES 2008, Esoteric loaned me their "stack" comprising P05/D06 and they had their own room with the P01/D01/GR08. They were telling me that they were worried about running in their brand-new machines which need extended break-in. By the second day of set-up, they commented that the P05/D05 in my room sounded good already, whereas their own room was still green, raw and brittle. I loaned them the Isotek break-in disc and by the next day, their room was sounding good too. I introduced Isotek to them, and they licensed the burn-in disc from them.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Great story Gary.

Have any idea how much, on a percentage basis, this disc will reduce "break in" time?

Use 400 hours as your baseline.

Questioning how much I need to play this disc before I install in my system. I really hate this part of the "process". Want to avoid installing too early.

Is three days sufficient to get close (listen without cringing) or do I need more?

Thanks.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think that 3 days might get it close. Esoteric delivered brand new machines as they were just delivered from Japan (IIRC they launched that year) and after less than 24hrs the Japanese engineers thought that they were already sounding very good. Their recommendation was 300hrs before even listening to them. I still ran the disc every night after show hours, and after the first 48 hours, the improvement every night was slight.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Can the Isotek disc be used to burn in a phono stage? I'm trying to speed up burn in of an ARC Ref 10 line stage and Phono stage.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your insight. One question.

When I use the Isotech, does it burn in the "red book" as well as the SACD circuitry (chips, etc) simultaneously in the Esoteric K01 CDP or do I have to use a SACD to break in a different / separate portion of the circuitry dedicated exclusively to SA playback?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Can the Isotek disc be used to burn in a phono stage? I'm trying to speed up burn in of an ARC Ref 10 line stage and Phono stage.

No. The output of a CDP will be way too high to plug into the input of a phono stage. You're likely to damage something. Phono stages also require a different signal with RIAA emphasis.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your insight. One question.

When I use the Isotech, does it burn in the "red book" as well as the SACD circuitry (chips, etc) simultaneously in the Esoteric K01 CDP or do I have to use a SACD to break in a different / separate portion of the circuitry dedicated exclusively to SA playback?

I was told that the Esoteric has different circuitry for SACD and redbook - so the IsoTek burn-in disc does not burn in the SACD circuitry.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you Gary. That was my assumption.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing