Is your local high-end store still able to survive in this economy?

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Never, ever read this. Trust me.
But the movie version has one redeeming quality, 'She' is played by Ursala Andress...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
In LA, I enjoy going up to Weinhart Design---David is a good guy and since shuttering Ambrosia, is more focused on 2 channel. He is the big Magico dealer in Los Angeles.

Most of the good dealers in LA offer themselves up for LA Audio Society which is smart on their part---David is even on the board I believe.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Sure, but I could just pick up a 1965 Playboy for that action.
Dang! You're OLD. I remember that 'issue' quite well. She was lounging nekk'd in a stream, with the water, evidently quite happy and frothy, rolling over her.....

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Dang! You're OLD. I remember that 'issue' quite well. She was lounging nekk'd in a stream, with the water, evidently quite happy and frothy, rolling over her.....

Which was reprised by Bo Derek in the movie Tarzan the Ape Man.... the original was definitely better.

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
I haven't seen a B&M for nearly 25 years. The scourge known as "Home Theater" (IE: Bose 321 systems) wiped them out.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Dang! You're OLD.
I prefer "mature", though that may be a bit optimistic.

In LA, I enjoy going up to Weinhart Design---David is a good guy and since shuttering Ambrosia, is more focused on 2 channel. He is the big Magico dealer in Los Angeles.

Most of the good dealers in LA offer themselves up for LA Audio Society which is smart on their part---David is even on the board I believe.
He's a bit of a drive, for me, but I made the trek up there a few weeks ago to pick up a sub. Spent maybe half an hour listening to the Q5's while David took care of some other business. Yes, he does seem like a nice guy. Chris Hansen used to be "the" guy when I lived in west LA, but appears to have transformed into HT/Home automation/Security.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I prefer "mature", though that may be a bit optimistic.

He's a bit of a drive, for me, but I made the trek up there a few weeks ago to pick up a sub. Spent maybe half an hour listening to the Q5's while David took care of some other business. Yes, he does seem like a nice guy. Chris Hansen used to be "the" guy when I lived in west LA, but appears to have transformed into HT/Home automation/Security.

Hey, ultimately, age is about how you feel.

As a Logan owner, what did you think of the Q5's? What was the rest of the system?

caesar

May 30, 2010

Seems like a good survival strategy. But many dealers don't really get involved in their local audio societies. For high end speakers and heavy amps, you probably need to get some experienced movers involved.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
As a Logan owner, what did you think of the Q5's? What was the rest of the system?

It was simply idle time listening to music with which I'm not familiar, and the room acoustics were not such that I'd care to express an opinion on the speaker, itself. Clearaudio Statement, EAR pre, don't know what amp was used.

caesar

May 30, 2010
It was simply idle time listening to music with which I'm not familiar, and the room acoustics were not such that I'd care to express an opinion on the speaker, itself. Clearaudio Statement, EAR pre, don't know what amp was used.

Doesn't sound like your soul was grabbed and you were converted to what some call the greatest speaker on earth, huh?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That is an interesting system...did you get the impression that it was synergistic?:confused:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Raise your hand if you ever auditioned a piece of gear at a dealer and then bought it online solely because you could save some money. If you raised your hand and are now lamenting the disappearance of high-end audio stores, then you can partially blame yourself.

In an absolute sense, you are 100% correct. If you are getting great service, this is shameful behavior. But the interesting cases are not all black and white. What if the dealer is wishy / washy about setting up an auditioning session, and cancels or changes it a few times? What if the dealer doesn't really want to let you audition the gear in your home for whatever reason? What if you just don't connect with the dealer?

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
In an absolute sense, you are 100% correct. If you are getting great service, this is shameful behavior. But the interesting cases are not all black and white. What if the dealer is wishy / washy about setting up an auditioning session, and cancels or changes it a few times? What if the dealer doesn't really want to let you audition the gear in your home for whatever reason? What if you just don't connect with the dealer?

I agree completely and the cases that you mention, along with a host of others, are ones in which you are getting no support from your local dealer. If that dealer carries something you want, but doesn't appear to be very interested in actually selling it then there are always other options out there. Furthermore that dealer will likely be in a world of hurt if he isn't already.

I've witnessed first hand, on several occasions, customers who have done extensive demos of my dealer's equipment and then gone out and purchased it elsewhere. It seems that they were so proud of how much that they were going to save that they made some gloating comments to me about the great deal that they were going to get out of state.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I envision only the largest cities and smaller cities with large universities having dealers with retail locations. These dealers will only carry mostly well established brands such as ARC, CJ, Wilson, etc. The home dealers will carry the fringe brands and "flavors of the day" hyped up by magazine reviewers.

I also see a "traveling dealer" emerging. This guy will probably be a retired hobbyist driving around the country or a region in a large conversion van setting up speakers and amps in peoples home. This can be very effective for people who cannot hear many of the dozens of brands out there (that may be better or just different) from the main stream brands. And if someone comes over to your home, sets something up, gets it to sound good, it can become awfully hard to say "No thanks. Hit the road, Jack."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing