Is There a need to change the resistors in one's speakers even if room sounds good

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Most manufacturers over-specify the power in resistors to have better power dissipation and achieve a lower temperature. Using this trick they can use cheaper resistors with higher temperature coefficients in their crossovers. Wilson uses external resistors in series with the speakers to tame FR but also having fuse functions in order to protect drivers for short bursts. For this purpose they need to have high precision very expensive resistors with a very low coefficient temperature, otherwise you would risk some compression when power increases. Submitting these resistors to systematic abuse can change their properties, even if does not damage them. It is why they wisely always change them when a repair is performed or recondition a speaker for a new user.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight Francisco. So the resistive value will remain the same, yet the properties will change [and potentially change the sonic signature], hence the added packs of resistors?

Tom

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Over-stressing a resistor will change its value, potentially its tempco, etc.

I have read endless debates about the merits, or lack of, various resistor types. Not sure I have ever read a study using DBT.

Certainly if people can hear differences among electrically equivalent wires, they will hear differences among resistors.

I do not claim to be one of those people.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think if wilson thought the resistors would degrade in sound over time, they would mention it in the manual. As such, I am of the firm belief they are simply spares.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have very expensive ex WW2 resistors i found in a barn in the himalaya mountains , they will change the system from being on a toyota prius level to a lexus with full options ......for only 100 $$ :D

On a more serious note i wouldnt take all the audiophile claims very seriously , just stick with the ones wilson provided , which are already one of the " better" ones , and if you want to change just try , they arent that expensive just stick with the same value and wattage

Anyway ,i dont know what you are trying to improve but another type of good quality tweeter resistor will not change the character of the titanium high freq dome much , but i am sure audiophiles will disagree

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing