Is there a diet not devised by a Quack?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
OK, here is where I put on my fire breathing objectivist hat :)

It just so happens that there is a coroner's case in Australia at the moment for a woman who died of rectal cancer. Why? Because her husband is a noted "Professor" of "environmental toxicology" (in other words, he studies things around you that are poisoning you, e.g. your diet, your occupation, etc etc) who is a noted opponent of conventional medicine. The woman was diagnosed with rectal cancer at an early stage. Curative surgical resection was recommended. She spurned treatment and went on a course of homeopathic treatment. Of course, the inevitable happened and she died in excruciating pain. Link to article here: http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/...mments/column_our_deadly_culture_of_unreason/

So, there are certainly consequences of ignoring medical advice.

HOWEVER, not all cancers are the same. The treatment of thyroid cancers is somewhat controversial, because many thyroid cancers are low grade and detected early. There are four types of thyroid cancer - papillary, medullary, follicular, and anaplastic. Anaplastic thyroid cancer is the most deadly, with a 5% chance of being alive in 5 years. The most common is papillary - in early stage disease, your chance of survival in 5 years is about 98-99%. Even in stage IV disease, you have a 50% chance of being alive in 5 years. Doctors are somewhat divided as to what to do for early stage disease - some would suggest observation, some would suggest surgical resection. There is also some difficulty using size of the tumour to estimate your cancer load.

Having said all that by way of background information, let us revisit Mark's wife. I would like to know what type and what stage of thyroid cancer she had. Then, I would like to know if Dr. Joanna Budwig has published any trials comparing survival of thyroid cancer on her diet compared to a normal diet, and what type of thyroid cancers her patients had. Like I said - the survival of Stage I Papillary Thyroid cancer is close to 100% even with no treatment. If indeed Dr. Budwig has come across some kind of diet based miracle cure, I would like to learn more about it, because I want to give it.

The first reaction of doctors who have discovered something is to rush to publish in a journal. I can tell you that if I found something, the first thing I would want to do is tell my colleagues about it. Because I want my cancer curing discovery to spread, I would meticulously collect a series of cases, demonstrate that it works statistically, and publish - because that is the only thing that will convince my colleagues and benefit even more patients. The last thing that I would do is write books and market myself directly to patients. Given that the journals seem to be disturbingly silent about her diet, chances are - she either has not published, or published in an obscure journal and her work is undiscovered, in which case even greater fame awaits.

I should also say this. People here get upset about audio tweaks. Well, I get ten times more upset by irresponsible alternative medical practitioners claiming their hocus-pocus can cure cancer. If you spurn treatment for most cancers, you will die. In horrible pain. Just ask Steve Jobs! Compared to this type of outcome, arguing about how many picoseconds of jitter is audible is laughably insignificant.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Well, as the surviving family of a dead chemotherapy-treated father, I have little cause to believe in conventional cancer 'treatment'. All but one of my friends who's had chemo, are DEAD within weeks to months of their treatments. Another of my friends had chemo last year. She was pronounced 'cured'. This year, her cancer is back and she is going for more chemo treatments. I really had a laugh back in '74 when a bleeding ulcer patient was told to seek psychotherapy, instead of treatment for the bleeding. Some doctors think that your illness is in your head and refused to even verify or prove negative, the condition the patient entered the hospital for!

Regarding my wife's cancer, the doctor said that it was 'already too late for the surgery and that she would probably lose her voice as a result of the surgery, because the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes. I'm not sure what stage this was, but it's probably past stage one. And then there were his warning words: "You're gonna' DIE if you don't have this surgery." He was angry, almost belligerent about it. That turned us both right off to the idea and that's when we decided to look at alternatives.

Granted, my wife had some reason to believe that diet worked, because her mom had this cancer 20 years ago and she, living in the Philippines, had easy access to affordable organically-grown vegetables and was eating certain vegetables during that period. She became cancer-free and is to this day. Since moving to America in 2009 (she's living with us), she has developed diabetes from eating our processed food poison diet, but is managing it nicely, now that she understands what's wrong with our food here and is making a conscious effort to avoid it and eat mostly raw foods.

Seeing her mom's success with beating thyroid cancer (in the Philippines they call it goiter), she was more willing to try eliminating the foods that nurture cancer growth and go heavy on vitamins and some rather exotic supplements in addition to the Budwig diet. Her approach is multipronged, and I don't know whether Budwig or the vitamin supplements, or the getting out of the chemical division of her employment did it. Perhaps a combination. What I do know is that the tumor shrunk to nothing, her body has returned to normal function and it appears her thyroid is working properly again as the symptoms she had last year that were getting worse, have ceased.

While I have the greatest respect for modern medicine, especially in the realm of helping trauma victims, I do have to remind myself that this is a money-driven industry and that pharmaceuticals are one of the most powerful lobbies in the nation and are hard at work trying to make it illegal to obtain raw, healthy foods. The industry wants obese, sick people, because they can't sell drugs to healthy people. It's common sense to follow the money and the motives become obvious. There is no money in a 'natural' cure for anything. The whole medical industry is based on managing illness through drugs, rather than curing people. Sick people are cash cows. It's blunt to say that, but there is overwhelming evidence of it.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
If your wife has thyroid cancer in her lymph nodes, it is either Stage III or IV. The actual prognosis depends on the histological type of cancer.

Cancer is my specialty. You might think I am in the pocket of big pharma and I have an agenda to keep you sick, but I beg to disagree.

If I am going to give you advice, i'll do it now: make sure that someone who knows what they are doing is monitoring your wife's condition. I can tell you that many of my patients choose not to have treatment, even for early stage cancers. I say "OK" but at least please let me continue to monitor you so that you will have early warning of whether your attempts at DIY cancer treatment are failing or not. Saying this to you from thousands of miles away, I have no motive to profit from your wife's suffering. I only care about what's best for the patient.

I will also say this, from "the other side" of the patient-doctor relationship. Quite often my patients decide not to follow through on my advice, and I ask myself why. It is my job to collect data, analyse it, and come up with treatment options based on the most current research. Sometimes, when something is futile, I will tell them that all treatment options are optional. But if we are going for a cure, I try my best to persuade them to have treatment. If they then choose not to have treatment, I wonder if it was a failing on my part. Did I not communicate effectively? Was there something about the patient that I did not know about? Did I fail to establish the trust of my patient?

I am fully aware that although I try my best, I do not communicate well with everybody. I try to avoid using language they won't understand, or confusing them, or making things complex - but at the same time I supply answers to every question they might want to ask as honestly as I can. Despite that, they might be put off by something - perhaps the garlic I had for lunch, or my accent, or my appearance, or my manner.

Many doctors are not good communicators, which is a shame - because our job is to make the science of medicine accessible to people without medical training. Instead, when they sense that patients do not understand, some might become belligerent and blame the patient, instead of asking themselves if they have communicated properly.

So once again - please, even if your wife does not want treatment, at least please make sure she is monitored properly. By someone who has time for you.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
My first concern with 'going it solo' with her treatment regimen, was that she have medical imaging to monitor the results. The original screening was a sonogram of her throat area. I'm trying to figure out how to get access to that data so that when we have another imaging done (at another facility because she doesn't want to go back to that doctor) so that the results can be compared. I presume there must be some blood tests that would also provide useful markers for the presence or absence of the cancer. Much of this we have to do on our own, using a lab and ordering the tests, because we do not have a cooperative doctor. It's also expensive when there's no insurance covering said tests. I took in about $7,000 in gross receipts last year as a practitioner of the world's most unimportant trade: videographer, so we live on a thin thread, financially. Tests and natural foods cost a lot of money. I used to live on Ramen noodles (10 cents a pack) because it was all I could afford in 1998, after my graphic design business went tits-up. But the cost in health negated the benefits of eating vs. starving totally, to some extent. I'm not dead, but I'm not as alive as I should be. Oh well. In ten thousand years, this will all be moot anyway.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Mark I am genuinely sorry to hear that. I know that universal healthcare is a controversial topic in the USA, but we have it and it's great. It means that when you get sick and lose your income, you are not slugged with an expensive medical bill on top of it. But that is another conversation.

Any good medical professional should be more than happy to send your test results and correspondence to your new doctor. Good luck.

Lorrie

Nov 14, 2012
Consistent exercise, drinking plenty of water along with healthy food decisions and portions. Key words being consistent and exercise.

Damn straight! Water is a key component. If you mention this to people, many will say there is no medicinal benefits to drinking water but you avoid dehydration, thirst, lethargy etc if your water intake is sufficient. Consistency is key. You can treat yourself occasionally as its impossible to live like a monk (unless you are a monk!). Moderate your alcohol intake and high fat foods where possible. If you can sleep better, fantastic. Sleep replaces hormones which indicate when we are full up (ghrelin) which means a decent kip will help you lose weight. A cheap mattress topper will help you do this, and more you sleep the less time you have to eat. The rub is, there is no magic cure. Any diet will come to an end and be a temporary fix. If you're willing to work and adjust, you'll get healthy results. If you're not, you won't. Simple!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Another place they use transglutaminase is packaged "chicken breast" and "turkey breast."

The junctions are not visible, but the giveaway is that the slices are about the size of a 5x8 index card and all the slices are the same. I've never carved the meat off a chicken and seen a slice anywhere near that large and even on a turkey, the individual muscles of the breast are not present.

If you eat real food, food that isn't packaged in a box from a processing plant (fresh-frozen food is the exception) you will generally do well.

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
I disagree on the "consistent exercise" as a key part of a diet (losing body fat). It is certainly important as an element of a healthy lifestyle but it is not required to loose weight. For me, I find it much easier to lose weight when I'm NOT (intensively) exercising. Hard exercise makes me very hungry and it's harder for me to control portions & my diet.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I disagree on the "consistent exercise" as a key part of a diet (losing body fat). It is certainly important as an element of a healthy lifestyle but it is not required to loose weight. For me, I find it much easier to lose weight when I'm NOT (intensively) exercising. Hard exercise makes me very hungry and it's harder for me to control portions & my diet.

Sure you can but at the same time you destroy your metabolism. Go back to eating and you balloon up like a blimp.

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
Sure you can but at the same time you destroy your metabolism. Go back to eating and you balloon up like a blimp.

I think you're assuming I started with a high metabolism :) IMO, people need to find _their_ easiest way to burn more calories then they consume (in a safe & healthy manner). For the average person it's that simple. For athletes or for people with specific health issues it gets more complex...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think you're assuming I started with a high metabolism :) IMO, people need to find _their_ easiest way to burn more calories then they consume (in a safe & healthy manner). For the average person it's that simple. For athletes or for people with specific health issues it gets more complex...

The problem with this approach is it leads to yo-yo-ing weight :(

That also assumes that calories are calories which clearly isn't true. Somewhere here I posted a link to a Harvard study showing the differences between diets on inflammation eg. Heart disease and a host of other diseases.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Greg_R. One has to find a way of burning the intake to the body off. If you have issues with eating more with intensive exercise, perhaps an aerobic training schedule versus an anaerobic would be more beneficial to you. Adding a fiber drink to make your body "think" that it is full or provide a feeling of fullness would help as well. A great example of this that I personally use would be https://www.advocare.com/products/well/W4062.aspx and just to let you know in advance, I have no affiliation.

I guess my point is that exercise is a vaguely important part of the diet. I personally don't see how it couldn't be. There is no magic pill. Only exercise or physical activity to burn off what has been put in. If there are specific health issues, I don't really know what to say but I would advise talking to your doctor or a professional health nutritionist or personal trainer recommended by him/her to see what the best option may be for your particular scenario.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing