Is the Absolute Sound still alive?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Just like Sphile is the Wilson Audio Standard?

I see the parallel, Keith, but don't quite wholly agree with it. I know the Wilson editors love Stereophile. Even Art Dudley loves Wilson now. For what it's worth, I started liking Wilson models other than Alexandria at the same time as Dudley. And although I like their latest generation, I do believe that there are better speakers that suit my preferences such as Vivid Giya and MBL for a lot less money than the Alexandria.

The Absolute Sound, however, is based on a reference of live music. The Magico standard, however, is to present everything on the recording. "Fidelity to master tapes" is how their promoter, Valin, calls it. I'm glad some people get off on it. A lot of these guys are reviewers who have forgotten what great music is all about. But it's their life.

To me personally, just because the detail is there and we hear it, doesn't mean we want to or need to focus on it. To me and to many non-Magico customers, our brain doesn't like that detail - as it distracts and diminishes the human experience by limiting our ability to transcend and connect with the music on a deeper level. Psychologists call this state of oneness with the music "a state of flow" which is the highest form of happiness humans can achieve.

However, Magico, to my ears, is the great flow destroyer. It's all about a "deeper understanding" of the music and the master tape. Instead, I want the gear designer to make design compromises to bring out the greatness in music. Here's a quote from Valin describing MBL before he took the job as the Magico rep (or something happened to his soul)

..."What made and makes the 101 Es such showstoppers is their uncanny ability to get the first step in enjoying music right. Before it does anything else (and it does many things else), music works on us physically. It excites us. Gets us moving. Starts our toes tapping and our butts wiggling and our arms and fingers waving like air-guitar players (or air conductors). When a performer or a hi-fi really allows us “into” the music and the music “into” us, we are always and only a half-step away from dancing and singing and sheer self-abandon. It’s one of the chief reasons why we listen..."

Great music thrills you. Puts a smile on your face. It moves you like nothing else. At the end, you don't remember how much money you had or how many bits you heard correctly. You remember the experiences that moved you and made you more human and made you appreciate life. I just don't get that feeling listening to Magicos. Neither did Valin at one point in his life, reviewing the 101 Xtremes:

...Sheer sonic excitement may not mean much to those joyless souls who want to hear a second-rate jazz vocalist or a third-rate performance of a Mahler symphony sound precisely as good or as bad as it did in the engineering booth on the day of a recording session; as for me, I still thrill to the thrill of getting goosebumps on my arms or feeling a chill run up my back when a stereo—a mere contraption playing back another mere contraption—captures the excitement of the real thing....

Again, nothing personal about Magico. I hope you enjoy every second of it if you own it, but it's not for everyone. It's not "The Best." It's just a different standard than the Absolute Sound.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The changes in TAS over the years have been profound. Beautiful artwork on the front, beautiful pictures on the back cover, no advertising, and some of the best audio writers ever assembled in one place. David Wilson used to review for TAS and I thought he was a brilliant writer. Back in those days, HP was King Kong and ruled the audio jungle with an iron fist (and mouth). After HP failed to keep TAS on sound financial footing for the umpteenth dozen time and TAS was sold, King Kong was neutered and confined to a cage where he could no longer menace manufacturers and subscribers that dared to speak up (or back) to ole Kong.

Not only true but very well written.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Well, in the newest TAS Harley (in the letters column) seems to now personally support the idea of WAV > FLAC > WAV conversion being permanently detrimental to sound quality. Meanwhile, in the music review section, very compressed releases are still given 4 bars for sound quality.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing