Is Justice Anton Scalia Dead/Just heard it on the TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
This is, IMO, the heart of the problem. The sole objective of the publicly-traded company is ROI. It's not greed, because it's not emotional. And it won't change unless and until we decide that the purpose of the economic system of a democracy is to enable better lives for the people that democracy represents, instead of just creating a good business environment in which to build shareholder equity. And I'm not holding my breath.

Tim

First you'll need to throw out the governmental system we have and establish a democracy.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
This is, IMO, the heart of the problem. The sole objective of the publicly-traded company is ROI. It's not greed, because it's not emotional. And it won't change unless and until we decide that the purpose of the economic system of a democracy is to enable better lives for the people that democracy represents, instead of just creating a good business environment in which to build shareholder equity. And I'm not holding my breath.

Tim

Agree, but disagree. Executives are insanely compensated with stock options. Their self interest is in increasing shareholder value since it benefits them. They will blabber how great they are for society, and incompetent politicians will agree, and take their campaign contributions.

Make a law that no individual can be given any extra compensation (stocks, anything other than cash) in regard to their corporate employment then I can live with that. Cash only for everyone.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Yup, the campaign finance laws the SCOTUS approved are disgusting. I am empathetic for Scalia's family and friends but I thank god he's gone. Citizens United was irresponsible and an obviously bad decision.

The GOP is rupturing and their fear-based policies are being dragged into the light. The support for Trump is embarrassing, it's sad that many people support such a disgusting person... he stands for and campaigns on fear and hate.

My guess is people aren't going to put up with the GOP's current obstructionist tactics for much longer and soon the GOP will be a memory. IMO, the way they have approached their job in the Legislative branch is approaching treason.

I completely agree.

Yes, but paid vacation is not a legal requirement. Many people have to work for years to get a couple weeks of paid vacation.

The stats for Denmark are wrong, they also get quite a few paid holidays on top of paid vacation leave. Basically, they get about 6 weeks off per year, paid. Workers in the US are guaranteed nothing at all.

Obviously, American workers are getting screwed big time and appear to take a certain pride in this witnessed by the conviction with which they sing their national anthem and say their pledge of allegiance and continue to declare the place the greatest nation on earth. I'm a little puzzled by the statistic though, because I get about 20 days of paid vacation, as do many many other american workers.

Why should anyone get paid not to work? You work, you get paid, you don't work, you don't get paid. I can accept giving a few sick days per year as a perk or a courtesy, but beyond that, people should carry their own insurance if they desire. Nobody pays me if I don't work.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
cartoon.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

You do understand, I hope, that using all of the tools available to the Senate to push back against what you think is an unacceptable nominee, is a completely different thing than announcing, before the Supreme corpse is even cool, that you will block and stall any nominee, that it is pointless to even nominate, that you wish to circumvent a president's constitutional obligation to nominate and fail to meet your own constitutional obligation to review that nominee, even if the review process leads to a filibuster?

You do get the difference, I hope?

Tim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Why should anyone get paid not to work? You work, you get paid, you don't work, you don't get paid. I can accept giving a few sick days per year as a perk or a courtesy, but beyond that, people should carry their own insurance if they desire. Nobody pays me if I don't work.

You are self employed. Different proposition.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
The Right loves to tout the BoR's or other parts of the Constitution, while circumventing it, under the guise of States Rights or some clever sound bite or phrase.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
my least favorite is that all powers not expressly granted to the feds belong to the states.Where is that written?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The Right loves to tout the BoR's or other parts of the Constitution, while circumventing it, under the guise of States Rights or some clever sound bite or phrase.

They are clowns. Like Scalia, they reject the living and breathing constitution doctrine, and then cite a (fictitious) 80 year tradition to justify not fulfilling their constitutional obligation to have a hearing for a candidate (I.e. Make the case tradition trumps constitutional text). They are playing the public for complete idiots, which is regrettably a pretty safe bet in politics.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
They are clowns. Like Scalia, they reject the living and breathing constitution doctrine, and then cite a (fictitious) 80 year tradition to justify not fulfilling their constitutional obligation to have a hearing for a candidate (I.e. Make the case tradition trumps constitutional text). They are playing the public for complete idiots, which is regrettably a pretty safe bet in politics.

Yup, it would be nice if our elected officials actually cared about the people who elected them rather than playing partisan games and pandering to wall street.

But yes, "complete idiots" is a good description for people that vote for candidates that obviously don't have their own best interests in mind. It's like someone who stays in an abusive relationship hoping things will get better. Now it's time to wake up and kick that crap to the curb and move on to elect people who will have some respect for us and work for our best interests with much less regard for multinational corporations and financial institutions.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
You do get the difference, I hope?
Tim

I know that if the shoe was on the other foot, the Democrats would be doing exactly the same thing.

Whatever you’re political persuasion, for the past 80 years, lame duck presidents don’t get to make successful nominations for lifetime appointments in an election year.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I know that if the shoe was on the other foot, the Democrats would be doing exactly the same thing.

Whatever you’re political persuasion, for the past 80 years, lame duck presidents don’t get to make successful nominations for lifetime appointments in an election year.

So 80 year "tradition" (historical coincidence in fact, there were only two occasions during these 80 years. Both got hearings), now trumps constitution? The other side might do the same in the current poisoned political climate, but has no such track record.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
So 80 year "tradition" (historical coincidence in fact, there were only two occasions during these 80 years. Both got hearings), now trumps constitution? The other side might do the same in the current poisoned political climate, but has no such track record.

HR.jpg

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
This is another perfect example of what is absolutely wrong with the country. Legal or not, it is wrong, and the law needs to change, and make these parasitic companies pay.

"On Friday, Reuters reported that in 2014 the tech giant—which now falls under parent company Alphabet—transferred 11.7 billion Euros (approximately $13 billion) to Bermuda in an effort to minimize the taxes it had to pay on its income through a little tax maneuver that has been dubbed a “Double Irish with a Dutch Sandwich.” "

http://www.forbes.com/sites/abigail...to-bermuda-to-avoid-taxes-again/#35441b7422a2

Additionally, there is a Federal airport in Silicon Valley next to Google's headquarters. Federal means tax payer built and owned. The government has leased it to Google which has effectively made this public airport a private, Google only, airport.

This BS of letting the rich do whatever they want has to stop.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_27823009/google-takes-over-aging-moffett-field-and-its

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

That's factually incoreect. In addition the constitution allows a president to serve with full power for four years. Nowhere in the constituion is there a term"lame duck." Try Justice Kennedy and Justice Cardozo. http://www.politifact.com/florida/s...exaggerates-sayig-its-been-80-years-lame-duc/

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Harry was wrong. They have a duty to advise and consent. They took an oath to faithfully discharge those duties. The congress will end before the new president is sworn in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing