Is it "whats best forum" , or what's more expensive

My dear man, does hi-end, ultra hi-end, have worse specifications than the commercial gear used to record all the stuff in the first place....I dont know honestly.

I would say one can assemble a system, from the source to the output of the pre-amp, if used, on specification. The standard test of power into an 8 ohm load is misleading for most speaker real world loads, so for the power amp, the more watts, and better specs, should be better. Then, choose the speaker that your ear likes best and settle down for a decade or more of not fiddling around with your gear.

Tom,

The more and better should be better! Thanks for such an useful advice ...
What are the specifications you consider relevant? Just the famous four?

Tom,

The more and better should be better! Thanks for such an useful advice ...
What are the specifications you consider relevant? Just the famous four?

The discussion is smoothly but steadily moving toward measurements. I , for one, don't think the "Famous four" as aptly microstrip calls them tell us much. THD is one notoriously unreliable metric for sound quality as we easily accept more than 50% THD under certain coniditions, according to Dr Geddes. I know we get our ration of high THD out of most woofers and subwofer system where 10% is the norm. So let's leave measurements aside for the moment. We can always open up or re-open threads on the matter...

Back to the point:Is it the best or the more expensive? I have in another thread asked a question of what makes a gear SOTA. We skirted around the issue but let me take an example. A $5,000 turntable and a shiny, glitzy $200,000 contraption , both without arm; which one do you believe will get the epithet "SOTA"? In a review the $5,000 may even get the unflattering good for its price... the $200,000 TT will get the nod toward SOTA without one sound coming out of it. Their is already a disposition toward it being the best for most audiophiles. Of that I am certain, if the gear is said to have bearing made of adamantium and an atomic clock-controlled oscillator for the motor... Instantly , more SOTA creeds... It will only be compared only to those in its "price Range" ...

We deny the that the price equates in our mind SOTA. We write around it but I suspect we all know it is more the norm than the exception regardless of our means and systems total costs.

( ...) We deny the that the price equates in our mind SOTA. We write around it but I suspect we all know it is more the norm than the exception regardless of our means and systems total costs.

We should separate waters - one thing is what our minds equate, the other is what is really happening. You are correct you say that when we see a high price we expect high performance - I think it is what you mean by SOTA. But IMHO the point is not our expectation - it is if our expectation describes the reality or not. My opinion is that most of the time an higher price product can lead to a better sound reproduction in an appropriate system. I accept that at some point, as a consequence of the law of diminishing returns, the gains can easily be overcome or hidden by other factors.

The use of the word SOTA in this debate is dangerous and can introduce confusion in a debate that relies on comparisons. How do we call a product that is better than a SOTA one?

The discussion is smoothly but steadily moving toward measurements. I , for one, don't think the "Famous four" as aptly microstrip calls them tell us much. THD is one notoriously unreliable metric for sound quality as we easily accept more than 50% THD under certain coniditions, according to Dr Geddes. I know we get our ration of high THD out of most woofers and subwofer system where 10% is the norm. So let's leave measurements aside for the moment. We can always open up or re-open threads on the matter...

Back to the point:Is it the best or the more expensive? I have in another thread asked a question of what makes a gear SOTA. We skirted around the issue but let me take an example. A $5,000 turntable and a shiny, glitzy $200,000 contraption , both without arm; which one do you believe will get the epithet "SOTA"? In a review the $5,000 may even get the unflattering good for its price... the $200,000 TT will get the nod toward SOTA without one sound coming out of it. Their is already a disposition toward it being the best for most audiophiles. Of that I am certain, if the gear is said to have bearing made of adamantium and an atomic clock-controlled oscillator for the motor... Instantly , more SOTA creeds... It will only be compared only to those in its "price Range" ...

We deny the that the price equates in our mind SOTA. We write around it but I suspect we all know it is more the norm than the exception regardless of our means and systems total costs.

Frantz, you have summarized the problem with using measurements to guide high end audio purchases: with the exception of price, there seems to be no consensus about which measurements are important, even amongst the proponents of using them.

As to using price as a guidepost of quality, I would submit that all shoppers work within price parameters for the majority of their purchases. While a higher price may provide a patina of quality, it simultaneously creates a higher expectation for performance. A poor dining experience at your local "Chili's" restaurant is far less disappointing and simultaneously more readily forgotten and forgiven than a bad meal at your more expensive, four star establishment.

Originally Posted by tomelex (Mikes comments bolded)
Seriously, how many components have you gone through in your system over the last 30 years? Very few, IME, stick with the stuff they purchased thirty years ago. And that is not a put down at all. If measurements don't matter, then how do you know when its time to upgrade? Or, what is an upgrade? If you want more power....well, thats a measurment. If you system just does not "sound" like the other guys system you heard, how do you know what to change to "get" that sound...other than the most obvious thing, the speakers. If you have a TT, how do you choose what cartridge to get....etc.
seriously?? 30 years......thirty.

with all due respect Tom.....why would i even respond to that?

No, component swap out is reduced if you believe in specifications, and understand the inaudibility of which way your orient a fuse and stuff like that. Audiophiles do a lot of serching.

This is how I do it. I have a plain old stereo system, plenty of power, low distortions up to the speakers, and I enjoy the "tone" o the speakers "most" of the time...but the California sound is well, a sound. I have a SET system, along with the required high efficieny, well, smooth response, speakers (modified). I have several headphones. I have serveral outboard processors.....I have a world of preferences, and choose according to the music or my mood. So, I actually, in a way, very regularily, swap components so to speak.
i respect you have your own process.

i was responding to your 'swapping gear' comment, where you threw out that label. can you come up with more evidence to support that besides a request for a list of 30 years of gear?

Toms response to Mikes bold above:

Mike, what I was driving at, and it related to measurments vs hearing as far as picking equipment, is that if one belives in measurments, one is less likely to upgrade without an upgrade in measurments. If one believe in their hearing and not measurments, they will upgrade based on what their ears tell them, and as I pointed out, if I have added a boost in the midrange, the guy whoo purchased on hearing thinking he heard more flesh on the bones is going to forever be hearing more flesh on the bones and eventually swap components....if he had looked at measured performance, and understood it or asked what it meant, he might have determined that long term, after all, these speakers although sound good would not be an upgrade.

respectfully; there are dozens of 'measurment threads' already on WBF, all of which i generally have avoided. i'll exit this one now i guess if we are going down that rat-hole.

Yeah , thats it, something innovative , no one has failed when they did , it worked well for Tesla ..:)
How much money did the US taxpayer give Tesla?

I'd like to see where ANYONE has EVER said that expensive = the best.

It seems to me words are being put in people's mouths.

Conversely, it seems that people who can't afford this equipment are always trashing it.

No, but it pays your rent.

Since there is no proper measurement to cover the whole audio reproduction and put a mark to it , its hardly of any use to prove your point that you upgrade only by better measurment numbers of your next piece of gear.
In " high end" audio anybody can claim anything and get away with it , simply because no one can bring forth proper evidence to prove he is wrong / right, its a useless debate in my opinion
I suggest buy what you like most :D

Last edited:
The thing here is, folks who are conditioned to think money equals best, just can not "downgrade", its some emotional thing.....in other words, reality does not intervene in their decisions. I have been involved in quite a few blind tests, informal, like what you guys did, and let me tell you, when comparing same type circuits and proper normal specifications, it always ends up like that, no certainty, the ears lose...they do have limits....

I can and have made audio gear sound different by changing components, etc, and its not magic, its simple electronics, and SQ is easy to change, oh so easy to change.

If your ears lose, what do you listen with?

a different view

More seriously, why do you think they feel disturbed?

I commented on the tone of the posts I've seen in such threads. How people feel is not determined by your logic about the validity of high prices (or mine). I believe that the "hijacked" idea may be behind some of the rather passionate posts I see.

> The high-end high prices were created by the economics, better knowledge of the audio science ...

I don't see much “audio science” R&D from high-end companies with the exception of Harmon and perhaps one or two others. Not many audiophiles seem interested in the science behind the products either. Here are some assertions about high-end audio that I find plausible:

- Distribution is inefficient (expensive) compared to consumer electronics or pro-audio markets.
- Equipment is produced in too low numbers by companies that are too small to afford much investment.
- No innovation in terms of functionality or price/performance. So the market is stagnant or declining.
- The middle of the audio market shriveled during the recession. High-end audio companies moved further up market rather than down market.
- Dealers have been telling manufacturers that higher prices make equipment seem more valuable and salable.
- Some audiophiles have big money to spend on audio gear and they want to spend it. Over and over. They are the core customer base now.

Proof by assertion (yours or mine) is not proof at all.

> They created state of the art very expensive equipment and now internet marketing techniques excessively expose these products,

Gotta keep the conspicuous consumption discreetly hidden from the unwashed masses.:b Hard to pass up such an opportunity for humor.

> hiding that behind them the traditional market of value for money has better offers than ever.

Few of those better values are from the high-end companies that are discussed here. I'll be buying from the companies that offer real advances in function and price/performance.

> Is the creation of a forum called WhatsBestForum a signal that the hobby has been hijacked?

I think the hobby was hijacked some time ago. This forum reflects the way the high-end audio industry has gone and the way its customer base has narrowed.

I am disappointed in this forum. Steve stated his intention to bring in experts to lead discussions about real knowledge. There is very little of that left. What interests me is talking about real knowledge about audio, reasoning from that knowledge, reading about experiments and measurements from them. In a recent post tomelex said

“So, we have no lists, no specifics, we just enjoy audio. What the hell are we going to talk about? What is there to learn.”

I agree.

Bill

As far as equipment turnover, during the last 25years I've owned:

a. Two turntables: Linn Sondek and Galibier Stelvio
b. Four tonearms: Linn Ittok, Triplanar, and Durand Telos/Tale (both are currently in use)
c. Three preamps: Classe DR 6, BAT VK 50 and Experience Music Kahn (I know --churning!).
d. Two phono stages: Linn Linto and Experience Music Kahn
e. Two Amplfiers: Krell KST 100 and Einstein Light In Dark
f. Two Speakers: Wislon WATT/Puppy and Daedalus Ulysses.
g. Two CD Players: Wadia 6 and SimMoon Andromeda.

OK, I"ll admit two owning 5 or 6 cartridges during the past 25 years....

I made such a list last year in my blog

http://carsmusicandnature.blogspot.com/2012/04/audio-gear-ive-owned.html

The list isn't quite complete. I didn't list phono cartridges and I forgot a reel-to-reel tape deck I owned early on. I've re-implemented the MusicPC last fall.

I started over 45 years ago. After a couple of steps upward early on, I have kept using audio gear until it breaks or gets stolen.

I think the people who swap gear frequently have more to say about "hearing differences" than those who keep gear a long time. Of course, if you are a reviewer, you get to hear more gear without cost.

Bill

IMO, we really need to get away from the thinking that price has to do with ability. One thing that I have always done is to listen for myself as to how any piece of gear sounds. To assume that the highest price gear has to sound better is a fallacy, again IMO.
BTW, affording the best has nothing to do with making a purchase decision, IME those that can afford the best are NOT indiscriminate.

Hi Dave,

I agree, but in reality I do believe that sonic value & price has, over-time, changed.

As an example, my amplifiers were around $5K ($10K mono) new in the mid 90's. They were considered "very expensive", $10k is a lot of bread for amplification even today, although unlike yesteryear, today $10K amps are more prevalent.

Do current amps sound better, well that's a matter of perspective, however I incorporated a few expensive amps before the DR3s, and although they would have sufficed quite nicely, they didn't quite have the synergy, grip, control, dynamic power, flow, and perhaps the biggest difference which surprised me, the frequency extension (esp up top).

The same can be said for my Alphason HR100s, a titanium built tonearm with tight carbide bearings and a smart decoupled counterweight, which built today would cost considerably more (hell it cost me more to buy used than it did brand new). It replaced an arm (G2.0) at well over 3 times that value.

We all understand why cost has always been a guide to potential performance, but I think the exuberant prices of audio these days is not nearly as indicative of quality. I say that based on experience, and because I've witnessed far too many mega buck systems fail to get even the basic aspects of musical reproduction correct, never mind justifying their ludicrous overall cost.

Although I believe value has diminished over time, and continues to do so ... the positive is that it's been offset by availability ... just consider how much quality gear is on the market these days at much better value.

tb1

The issue is we now have a bunch of one-off shops who are trying to sell to Asia, who apparently will buy gear at these disgusting prices. In the past few weeks we have heard about 35k tonearms, 50k RACKS, etc. We now have 100k+ digital--which is extinct in 3-4 years. Speakers are gravitating to 250k in the next year or two and I feel 500k isn't far behind. All one needs to look is to the used market to see how poorly the resale is on these items. We are talking 60%+ off on much of this stuff. That means manufacturers are pricing things too high for a few suckers.

I was going to start a thread soon that I am going to buy a BMW M3 over a pair of D'Agostinos. Stew on that before people try and sell me $7,000 bloody power cords like in the most recent TAS.

oh and how could I forget the latest expensive craze---$50,000 phono stages! today's SOTA vinyl setup runs a cool $300k. For a source component!

The issue is we now have a bunch of one-off shops who are trying to sell to Asia, who apparently will buy gear at these disgusting prices.

Funny you mention this. I once did a search for amplifiers on eBay and sorted price high to low. Up came a bunch of $100K+ amps, directly marketed to Chinese (and I believe Arabic) audience by a guy in NYC. It literally said to be taken seriously as a "noveau riche" you have to own one of these - we ship to China fully insured. I believe it was Boulder stuff. Not sure if it had the black anodized finish option....

I don't have any objections to audio jewelry. I bought my tone arm, expensive, just because I loved the way it looked and I wanted to look at it whenever I played a record.

The newly minted raft of Asian millionaires are obviously chasing expensive dreams that make the affluent American audiophiles pale in comparison.

Some of the Accuphase products I have opened up are absolutely gorgeous, they seem to be an impossible implementation of precision audio construction. They also sound good, I can see how having them on the rack would inspire confidence in one's audio choices, and with the art of both design and construction, the prices seem justifiable.

However, I think most audiophiles who have been in the hobby for a while will necessarily develop a PHILOSOPHY of sound. If they haven't, and they just like the gadgets, then they will churn gadgets and there is nothing necessarily wrong with that, either. I don't usually think I would follow their path or recommendations, though, it strikes me as a case of nerves more than hobby. I listen more often when guys espouse their developed philosophies, rather than equipment lusting.

I also see the expensive setups that look like Intel clean rooms with massive, expensive monoliths of audio architecture. I also don't see anything wrong with that, if you can afford it and it gives you musical peace and fulfillment, or even just a sense of status and prestige. It's hard for me to imagine a lot of actual listening getting done when the tweako stuff and dust mops become so time consuming, though. It looks like high maintenance and low listening time. Listening becomes like an occasional tea ceremony, with some prized recording eventually consumed on the audio alter, rather than an integrated part of life. Music designed for dirty, crowded, smokey rooms played in Intel clean rooms is a bit too contrarian for me.

My own prejudice is that the best sound in America is probably in some guy's basement in a backwash of Ohio. He has a soldering station, access the a woodworking and machine shop, and his family thinks he is crazy. He probably listens to tubes. Maybe he and a friend or two ever hear his system.

Yep its the what cost more forum, but then again, some people feel if it cost more, it's got to be the best. But it's a hobby and who cares what one spends on their hobby. I got some awful expense Nikon photo equipment and lens, that cost a lot more than any of my "audio hobby, hell my fishing boats cost more than my audio hobby. I say enjoy the music regardless how you get there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing