Is Gravity An Illusion? | Space Time | PBS Digital Studios

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I've got a fun puzzle for you, based on this video.

If you have two grapefruits in space, you placed both perfectly so they have no motion what-so-ever and are 1cm apart. Why then will they eventually come together? (not within out life)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Decaffeinated coffee.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've got a fun puzzle for you, based on this video.

If you have two grapefruits in space, you placed both perfectly so they have no motion what-so-ever and are 1cm apart. Why then will they eventually come together? (not within out life)

We could explain that either using Newton's universal law of gravity which shows a force proportional to the masses of the two particles, and inversely to their distance. That force will pull them together.

That law of course is an approximation and simplification for slow moving objects of Einstein's general relativity and curvature of space/time around earth.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You're on track Amir. What the video seems to be getting at is that objects aren't attracted to each other. They're sent towards because of acceleration and growth. That energy appears like "gravity" between them. For the same reason the earth comes to objects that drop, in concept. Basically the earth displaces more distance so smaller objects can't escape it without significant force to overcome the acceleration of growth. This would mean gravity is a measurement of force being exerted to prevent objects from coming together due to acceleration growth, not because they want to come together.

Unless I missed something... and of course it all gets real complicated when we apply our own accelerations of sorts, such as the car moving.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You're on track Amir. What the video seems to be getting at is that objects aren't attracted to each other. They're sent towards because of acceleration and growth. That energy appears like "gravity" between them. For the same reason the earth comes to objects that drop, in concept. Basically the earth displaces more distance so smaller objects can't escape it without significant force to overcome the acceleration of growth. This would mean gravity is a measurement of force being exerted to prevent objects from coming together due to acceleration growth, not because they want to come together.

Unless I missed something... and of course it all gets real complicated when we apply our own accelerations of sorts, such as the car moving.

My physics friend says I'm way off, but isn't familiar with new theories. There might be some serious holes in these videos, or at least they're painting some pictures with some new, out there theories.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Its likely from the Canadian engineer's book named the Final Theory...based on the Expansion theory...that all matter is in a constant state of expansion. McCutcheon is his name.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Too much grant money.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Too much grant money.

None of these videos imply that it would be easy, even if possible, for other beings to travel to earth or to another planet that can sustain life. Yet Hawking's and others claim aliens are basically on their way to rape and pillage - so obviously there work is paramount.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
None of these videos imply that it would be easy, even if possible, for other beings to travel to earth or to another planet that can sustain life. Yet Hawking's and others claim aliens are basically on their way to rape and pillage - so obviously there work is paramount.

Why are we sure beings capable of interplanetary travel are so interested in our meager possessions and having sex with us?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
"We"? I think Hawkins and such just like to say it to get people scared, so they get funding. That's what I was saying.

I believe very different. If anyone achieved the ability to somehow get here, what are the odds they didn't solve their problems on their planet first? As in they wouldn't need to take resources to survive, they likely achieved a balance before they could achieve interstellar travel.

That is unless beings that are that way gave tech to immature beings that didn't find peace in their world, so they search for resources to take.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk

can't wait, sounds exciting. space travel will be ok, we just have gone about it all wrong. we invested too much trying to protect the human body when really if you want to go anywhere you need to ditch that. if aliens are coming they would of done this,so no reason they could not pass off as us. transporting their conscious minds and taking human form. so they might already be here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing