Is anyone interested in contemporary music?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Reminds me of opera. I hate opera. One thing I love about string quartets is no "singing". Don't forget Morton Feldman and Gloria Coates for modern music.
Just listening to Morton Feldman:

It is most excellent music! Soothing and enjoyable at the same time.

Schallfeldwebel

Nov 12, 2015
How scary will an Alfred Hitchcock movie be without modern (a-)tonal music? No one complains about modern music in movies and documentaries, or?

Last edited:

Amphissa

Dec 25, 2015
I'm not certain what is meant by the word "contemporary." Does it apply only to "currently living" composers, defining contemporary as living concurrently with us? Or is the term a sneaky way of referring to modernism, which would also include composers like Schoenberg, Berg, Stravinsky, Messiaen, and their kindred spirits? The video linked in the OP doesn't answer the question, as Boulez is still (last I heard) hanging on to life.

Contemporary, in the sense of living (or having lived during our lifetimes) is really a pretty broad concept. Boulez is hard core modernist. But there are composers working today whose music is much more palatable. John Adams, Jennifer Higdon and Rautavaara come to mind. And if we include composers who died during our lifetime, the music of Tubin, Atterberg, Hovhaness, Walton, Diamond and Arnold is much more accessible to the average audience.

I have a hard time with atonal vocals, no matter how well appointed the singer. I also have a difficult time with extreme dissonance and abrasiveness. I can cope better with atonality in orchestral or ensemble music, so long as there is some detectable pattern and development. I very much enjoy the music of Tubin, Atterberg and David Diamond, and some of the music of Hovhaness.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing