Is anyone interested in contemporary music?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well, I like the dress she's wearing.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Well, I like the dress she's wearing.

Totally agree. Great dress. Even better lungs underneath.
As far as the music, let's just get right down to it. Does anyone on the planet think this music will be played in 100 years? Contemporary music has been a virtual wasteland since Bartok. There may be a rare composer who might survive the ravages of time (Thomas Ades?, others? ) but sorry its just not my cup of tea.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Have to say, I'm a fan of (some) contemporary music, although admittedly that's born more from playing it than listening to it. I find that it often needs a HUGE amount of familiarity to be enjoyable to listen to, the first few exposures to a new piece are nearly always too challenging to be enjoyable. Still, I think some of it really will be played in 100 years, maybe only by parties with niche interests, but that's true of a lot of classical music now anyway. Obviously it will never have mainstream appeal, but I don't think that's a reason to assume it's without merit (not that anyone said that here). Some contemporary music can bring a strong emotional response from me, and that's always a good thing.

That said, I definitely preferred the visuals to the sonics in the link posted....

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not sure about the originality of the piece... I thought I was listening to La Mer. Her voice though was really nice, and so was the dress.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, I enjoyed watching the video. It is an unusual ensemble (to this newbie classical music listener) with no less than five Celos. And multiple harps. Should sound great on a real system as opposed to my laptop. The high frequency extension is something I enjoy when it makes its appearance in classical music. And this has a lot of it.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
The dog was not pleased, but the cat was!

Ian Moore

Aug 6, 2014
The video is slightly distracting but the music has generated a lot of interesting comments. Thank you.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I tend to take a more lenient view of Music composers in general .. An example, we must not forget that some compostions from one of the greatest composer of Western Classical Music ( and IME The greatest), J.S. Bah Vocal pieces .. let me repeat this VOCAL from J.S. Bach were entirely forgotten by the time of his death and it took Felix Mendelssohn to interpret the St Matthew's Passion to start the Bach Revival ... We are talking about Bach here, Bach vocal compositions ... His very large output in Vocal was mentioned only in passing in his obituary just to give you an idea...

We can't tell with any degree of accuracy what will survive our present tastes and whims .. I do however believe that a few of my favorite contemporary composers may survive ... Aarvo Part, John Cage, Philip Glass, Krzysztof Penderecki, Pierre Boulez, John Cage, output will likely survive .. I am sure that John Williams output although although he's not seen as a Serious Classical composer by many, will survive too .. His "Jaws" and "Star Wars" theme will likely endure and pass the test of time ...

[video]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQyCkwAGoVChMIvdTE04O4xwIVgjg-Ch1FSAmw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZvC I-gNK_y4&ei=PvnVVb29O4Lx-AHFkKWACw&usg=AFQjCNFzyFYpqleANEJqK0YA2_4HWt8ZhA&sig2=COf9hzVP33JkynSg3RQy-A[/video]

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am not a fan of atonal music despite the fact that my brother who has a PhD and my daughter who has a masters in music have both spent time explaining its attributes to me. There are rules to follow (just like in mixed martial arts where it looks like free for all) but I still don't enjoy it.

While this may sound very pedestrian, for me to really enjoy the music, there has to be parts I can hum.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi

I tend to take a more lenient view of Music composers in general .. An example, we must not forget that some compostions from one of the greatest composer of Western Classical Music ( and IME The greatest), J.S. Bah Vocal pieces .. let me repeat this VOCAL from J.S. Bach were entirely forgotten by the time of his death and it took Felix Mendelssohn to interpret the St Matthew's Passion to start the Bach Revival ... We are talking about Bach here, Bach vocal compositions ... His very large output in Vocal was mentioned only in passing in his obituary just to give you an idea...

We can't tell with any degree of accuracy what will survive our present tastes and whims .. I do however believe that a few of my favorite contemporary composers may survive ... Aarvo Part, John Cage, Philip Glass, Krzysztof Penderecki, Pierre Boulez, John Cage, output will likely survive .. I am sure that John Williams output although although he's not seen as a Serious Classical composer by many, will survive too .. His "Jaws" and "Star Wars" theme will likely endure and pass the test of time ...

[video]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQyCkwAGoVChMIvdTE04O4xwIVgjg-Ch1FSAmw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZvC I-gNK_y4&ei=PvnVVb29O4Lx-AHFkKWACw&usg=AFQjCNFzyFYpqleANEJqK0YA2_4HWt8ZhA&sig2=COf9hzVP33JkynSg3RQy-A[/video]

Interesting...i do like Copland, Penderecki, Philip Glass, Henryk Gorecki (I have 3 versions of his Symphony 3) and also John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore (LOTR soundtracks). I hope and think that Rodgers/Hammerstein, Lerner/Lowe, Gershwin, Bernstein etc will also endure.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Hi

I can tell you are sure John Cage will endure because you mentioned him twice!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What do you think of this?

[video]https://youtu.be/e9782tg1CEU[/video]

Huge fan of contemporary 'classical' music. Love Pli Selon Pli.

We've had a thread here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?13414-Classical-Avantgarde

I have a Stockhausen webpage:

http://home.earthlink.net/~almoritz/stockhausenreviews.htm

While I love a huge amount of classical music (just listened to Shostakovich's 14th symphony, a stunner), as well as jazz and rock, Stockhausen is one of the three composers of all time whom I admire most. The other two are Bach and Beethoven.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi

Well said, Frantz.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The video is slightly distracting but the music has generated a lot of interesting comments. Thank you.

That blue color of that dress is a splendid blue, and the design very elegant. And it is an attractive and sexy lady inside that dress, no doubt about that.

? The music...yes the music and her singing...just listening and not concentrating on that dress; it is an acquired taste...one that one has to get accustomed to before fully appreciating. And I am not a person accustomed to the full measure of that style to truly appreciate...it takes a special mood in my opinion. ...It's another musical dimension for sure...very contemporary, avant-garde classical. For the mind to venture on those partition's notes it is not a given to everyone.

...It's also similar with acid jazz music, progressive jazz; not to everyone's equal taste. Me, I can get some (dig) but not constantly.

But it's cool that you shared with us and that you asked our opinion. ...Welcome Ian.

* I was exclusively commenting on that particular music piece from that youtube music video, because others like Arvo Part, Philip Glass, the Kronos Quartet, etc., yes I like, am a fan.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'm hoping atonal music will die a quiet death so future generations don't realize how music has degenerated in the 20th century.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing