Interesting Article About Research on Tinnitus

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I guess I'll get bombs for this post. Please be easy and correct me if (and what) I'm wrong. Also, this is my experience and your experience is probably different.

I've been research for the relationship between Tinnitus and the hi-fi audio sound. The Assyrians wrote on clay tablets around 700 B.C. about three different kinds of tinnitus: whispering,” “speaking,” and “singing” of the ears. So, human has been with Tinnitus for long time before the electronic sound.

I asked my wife, who don't have Tinnitus, if she hears anything when things are quiet, and she said she hears slight hiss like electronic wave sounds always. And it doesn't bother her and she doesn't concern about it. Here, I notice the difference hiss (or ringing sound) nowadays and whispering,” “speaking,” and “singing” sound from old days. So, hiss/ringing sounds are added sound which is electronic sounds in modern time. So, there can be a relationship between T and audio sounds.

I was in Air-Force army (1981~1984) and I had pretty strong ear ringing sounds until 2022. My ears ringing sounds were so strong sometimes that it gave me some ear pain (strong noisy motor running) and headaches that I couldn't sleep well (especially after listening certain music if I want to relate... strong sound-image music? loud volume music? large scale or wall of sound music?) I don't remember exactly. I didn't think about it then.

Nowadays, I still have some mild ringing sounds almost always. Usually, I don't notice ringing sound when I am listening a music, in conversation, or doing something. Many times I notice my ringing sounds but it doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't hurt/bother me and I accept it as a part of my life.

I believe the un-natural audio sounds (from churches, your cars, Disneyland, every audio systems) are the cause of part of Tinnitus. My T is cured with my natural sound audio system. I know how harsh un-natural sound is since I know what cause the un-natural sound.

This harsh un-natural sound (Left speaker) can't be good whether we hear or not. *All audio systems in the world (except mine) behave/sound like left speaker.

The article (this thread) says "Cells with tiny hairs that are buffeted by this fluid turn sound waves into electrical impulses that travel along nerves to the brain." This makes me think what the natural sound is and below.

A big part of my natural sound speakers is "blowing out sounds". Almost natural sounds are blowing out. Singers blow out sounds from their mouths. The things break and make sounds out. There are some situations that suck-in sounds such as explosion of a bomb or back-draft in building fire, etc. which they don't make a sound. The big sound comes next to those suck-in times. There are some speakers (blow off sounds) like Peter A's speaker and mine which sound comfortable and relax (natural) to listen.

Almost speakers (if not all) suck-in sounds toward speakers. The speaker should blow sounds from a speaker to the listener. The un-natural sound speakers suck in sounds and hairs in our ears like bomb explosion or back-draft suck-in times always. We call that Immersive sounds.

I believe that the electronic audio influences the Tinnitus some degree. We can lower T problem with the natural sound.
Please just laugh if you disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur
Not to get off topic but
Using headphones be it to lower noise or for audio effect is
So does ear buds
I use them often it can take hours to again retain a normal natural sound again
has anyone gone to an audio show and feel tense at one room and an ease in the next ?

I believe the un-natural audio sounds (from churches, your cars, Disneyland, every audio systems) are the cause of part of Tinnitus.
Generally accepted cause is exposure to loud sounds over a period of time. Do not believe it has anything to do with "unnatural" sounds, whatever they may be. There are published time / db level charts that provide some general guidelines as to how long you can listen to something at a certain loudness level before you risk hearing damage.

The 80 db'ish level appears to be safe for extended time periods (depending on age) although some may disagree with that number. Have no idea about very sudden occurrences at very loud (+100db) for very short time durations.

Do not understand your comments about speakers that suck vs blow. Could be a tough one to discuss and stay on topic. :)

Last edited:
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I have tinnitus and had an MRI scan arranged by my employer to get to the bottom of it. The consultant who reviewed the test results told me that there is a vein that runs close to the 'listeny bits' has a loop in it. The blood that rushes through it causes the ringing sound in my ear.
It is only mild; either that or I've been able to ignore it pretty well. The consultant told me that the loop could be dealt with but there would be a bit of surgery needed behind the lower part of my skull - I told him I'd live with it!

Thanks Ron! Seems promising!

I imagine listening to low quality digital sources can permanently damage your hearing. I've tried 20 usb c dongles with my phone, they all hurt my ears. Now the folks who are using such devices may not have as sensitive (golden) ears as me but long term it can't be doing them any good.

Do not understand your comments about speakers that suck vs blow. Could be a tough one to discuss and stay on topic. :)
Right. It is a hard topic to discuss because no one talks about it.

ex.) When a singer is singing, the singer push away the voice which travels from a mouth to a listener and is a natural sound. In real life, almost all sounds are pushed away sounds.

However, hi-fi speakers don't make a sound like human mouth or things. Hi-fi speakers push/pull a cone to make sounds and a large part of pulled-in sounds (a sound travels from a listener to a sound source) is an un-natural sound.

There are situations in real life that pull-in sounds happen such as an explosion of a bomb or back-draft in building fire, etc. In those situations, the sound and air physically suck in toward the sound source initially and then burst out next.

Almost speakers have pull-in sounds problem. These speakers pull in sounds like situations of bomb explosion or back-draft right before the burst which is unhealthy to our ears.

I believe that the electronic audio influences the Tinnitus some degree. We can lower Tinnitus problem with the natural sound.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing