installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

From what I've read the tourmaline dust in the plastic would have an piezoelectric response that might dissipate/convert em field and static energy into negative ions. This is similar to piezo filtering employed in grounding boxes and power conditioners by some manufacturers. This gives me an idea to mix potting compound with tourmaline (and carbon) powder and fill connectors with it.

That's a particularly interesting subject for me (been studying this to build my own AC Filter box). Dave, do you know of the details or names of such compounds or the band/models of the manufacturered boxes?

Additionally, you speak of conversion to static energy and negative ions. Do you think there could be or there are solutions where the conversion instead or also occurs into heat loss through kinetic energy?

Cheers.

to come up with the NCP material, Furutech researched and engineered combining carbon fiber with tourmaline crystals. and then tested multiple approaches to find what worked.

Very interesting.

I'd made a number of significant positive changes and the visit was to hear those.

on last Sunday morning my drug dealer/audio dealer Joe Pittman had installed 7 sets of the new FI-50 NCP male and IEC plugs on all my power cords except on the dart monos.

so this morning i was finally able to see what happened and enjoy it.

I'm blown away by this final step. I'd heard raves all weekend but as they had not heard the progression of other things I'd done it was hard for me to judge this last step. but this is a big deal.

the amps love those plugs.

Congrats on doing all these experiments, Mike. You'll find great benefits with clean power and those outlets.

One thing to keep it mind though, and I have been through this while working on my AC Filter box as well as a few other twekas like chassis-grounding + signal-grounding and vibration control, is that when you have new outlets, they take a really, really long time to break in. Presumably, the break-in has as cause the mechanical changes in the material used, which in turn have electrical results.

So, do take that in consideration because if you change other variables before the outlets are settled, you can hear a lot of variations and it will be difficult to pin-point why the changes are occuring.

IIRC it can take several weeks for things to settle with new outlets.

Congrats on doing all these experiments, Mike. You'll find great benefits with clean power and those outlets.

One thing to keep it mind though, and I have been through this while working on my AC Filter box as well as a few other twekas like chassis-grounding + signal-grounding and vibration control, is that when you have new outlets, they take a really, really long time to break in. Presumably, the break-in has as cause the mechanical changes in the material used, which in turn have electrical results.

So, do take that in consideration because if you change other variables before the outlets are settled, you can hear a lot of variations and it will be difficult to pin-point why the changes are occuring.

IIRC it can take several weeks for things to settle with new outlets.

At least a month if you use your system every day for rhodium plated GTX receptacles... I break them in on the cable cooker for several days, this helps a lot.

The sound changes back and forth from normal to dark/closed in during break in, it's really annoying.

On the brands using piezo filtering... Entreq, Tripoint, Shunyata and probably more. I really don't know a ton on the subject though.

to come up with the NCP material, Furutech researched and engineered combining carbon fiber with tourmaline crystals. and then tested multiple approaches to find what worked. and then applied that formula across a number of products....spreading the cost.

good luck on hitting the lottery first try. I wonder what the odds are to get it to work first time?

Carbon powder, not fiber I think... Carbon fiber is used for damping externally. Carbon powder is basically graphite and it is conductive, but when mixed with plastic there's limited contact between carbon particles... otherwise it would cause a short circuit.

I don't think it would take a lot of experimentation to get a good mix, you could use cheap connectors and cable for testing. I think a potting compound with piezo properties could work out pretty well.

I totally understand. I still do take it "somewhat" seriously but nowhere near the way I used to.

Maybe I'm getting lazy or more protective of my mental health but self induced stress, needless to say, does have its impacts and none of them are good.

Question sir. I just installed one of Joe's used Furutech AC outlets. The one, I guess, that was the top of the line before the newest version that Joe installed for you.

Did with great inner anxiety because AC scares the hell out of me. Joe provided great instructions and the house, including the audio system, hasn't burned down yet so I guess I did it correctly. :D

Thank you Joe.

Can you provide your observations on break in period and what you hear during the process?

Also, assuming there is a break in period, what can I do the speed up the process?

Thanks for your help.

Best.

I had your same outlets in my system prior to these new ones; the Furutech GTX-D (R). I do recall that when those outlets were first installed in 2011 I had to turn up my tweeter on my speakers since the Oyaide R-1's they replaced had so much high frequency hash I had the tweeters turned down.

so the first thing to watch for would be that your system may sound a bit closed in assuming you have an adjustable tweeter (which were adjusted for less smooth high frequencies). it is quite likely that the one you just installed is way more smooth on the top end than whatever it replaced.

beyond that possible tonal shift it is just a matter of settling in; since that outlet has been run for years already. my description of the settling in process is simply that you will find a gradual increase in nuance, micro-dynamic life and bass definition over time. depends on how hard and how much you run it as far as the speed at which it attains optimal point.

there is no 'cable cooker' for outlets other than running a space heater at high heat....1500 watts ought to be about right.

Last edited:
Carbon powder, not fiber I think... Carbon fiber is used for damping externally. Carbon powder is basically graphite and it is conductive, but when mixed with plastic there's limited contact between carbon particles... otherwise it would cause a short circuit.

I don't think it would take a lot of experimentation to get a good mix, you could use cheap connectors and cable for testing. I think a potting compound with piezo properties could work out pretty well.

from the Furutech website

NCF.PNG

not carbon fiber per se.

but not trivial to duplicate either.

It's fiber. I actually bought one of their IEC carbon fiber ones a couple of years ago but that was 20a, and then I sold that 20a amp so not used it. Their carbon fiber plugs and IEC are much more costlier than their gold and schuko

it is quite likely that the one you just installed is way more smooth on the top end than whatever it replaced.

Thank you. That was my first impression. Might balance out with replacing the Telefunken ECC88 tube with the EAT equivalent in my CJET5 pre last weekend.

Best.

notice to alfa100; the system will not allow me to respond to your PM since you have exceeded your storage quota.

you need to delete some or all of your inbox. then I will send the response I have drafted.

best regards,

Mike

i installed the furutech fi 50 ncf and fi 50m ncf on the mains lead feeding my preamp today, replacing a oyaide p 079 and c 079.

nothing bad has happened, its not nasty or bright. cleaner, better definition of notes and a little more forward. all good things for me and more the way i like my sound.

listening to ane brun ' all starts with one' , there seems to be extra resolution in respect to her pronunciation, her s'es are elongated and you're more aware of the start and finish of words, basically a more revealing presentation. with better defined bass notes a welcome surprise.

to go further would be futile, as i could of course be imagining this and am open to that possibility.

if you have cash to burn and want the aforementioned qualities then by all means give them a go.. if you're already using high quality connectors and are happy with the presentation of your music don't bother. there are certainly other areas one can play with, like room acoustics and speaker placement that have more undeniable benefits.
that said, this is a hobby and if you can afford it, then fill your boots.. for those that don't want to spend this kind of coin on a connector, i would say your not suffering as a consequence musically speaking. i would concentrate on areas with more universally recognized benefits. we are in the land of the nutjob with these for sure.

as always these improvements imagined or otherwise will soon be got used to and my emotional connection with the music will remain as it was before spending £500 on two plugs.

still waiting for my ac inlets and sockets, will report back when they are in, i may well end up with another set of ncf plugs on my CDP, though beer would be a better investment.

Thanks for the above post Spaz.
Where did you get them from?

japan, though got the rest (ac inlets and sockets from canada, being burnt in for me.. those nice canadians!)

i am not one for pages and pages of audiophile indulgence, its a waste of every ones time imo and also is more open to delusional influence. however i hope this short overview is of use to someone, i could of course wax on and get all my reference recordings out but like i said i believe this approach to be flawed, or at least lead to the credibility of the experience being more vulnerable, without really being genuinely more informative. i seek to inform not brain wash :D

japan, though got the rest (ac inlets and sockets from canada, being burnt in for me.. those nice canadians!)

i am not one for pages and pages of audiophile indulgence, its a waste of every ones time imo and also is more open to delusional influence. however i hope this short overview is of use to someone, i could of course wax on and get all my reference recordings out but like i said i believe this approach to be flawed, or at least lead to the credibility of the experience being more vulnerable, without really being genuinely more informative. i seek to inform not brain wash :D[/QUOTE

Thanks Spaz. Do you know if they are yet available in the UK with UK outlets?

i don't believe so dude, i use us sockets other than the main wall socket that feeds my mains conditioner/distribution block.

best ask dave (MCRU) he seems the best guy in the uk for power and getting hold of new things imo.

Most interesting Spaz, For my part I am waiting on David/MCRU to stock NCF Schuko's for Pre and Mono Blocks, unfortunately Furutech have yet to release an NCF'd 16 amp IEC to replace my current FI 52's. I have had mixed results with Oyade on Pre / Power.
My prefered weapon of choice on source equipment being the solid silver IEC and Schuko's from IeGO , above even FI 50!

Most interesting Spaz, For my part I am waiting on David/MCRU to stock NCF Schuko's for Pre and Mono Blocks, unfortunately Furutech have yet to release an NCF'd 16 amp IEC to replace my current FI 52's. I have had mixed results with Oyade on Pre / Power.
My prefered weapon of choice on source equipment being the solid silver IEC and Schuko's from IeGO , above even FI 50!

yea this is no surprise, its all a balancing act imo change one bit and things can shift disproportionately depending on a million other factors. some time less is more, some times if for argument sake you have 100 issues in your system, they can all be hiding each other and fairly unnoticeable but if you then remove 70, the problems that remain can seem louder and more affecting to the end result. laurence dickie was talking to me the other day about speaker resonance and how when designing the neutralis he had ISSUES when they started eliminating nasties the few that remain seemed louder and more noticeable. if you go after it you better get them all was his take but that obviously speakers not mains but it rings true in other areas imo.

either that or we are just bonkers... not fussed either way. ;)

the oyaide are softer, i use exclusively digital and the belles pre and power can be bright so that's why they were being used... its all about taste rather than quality imo but these NCF jobs do seem better overall. i cant detect a negative, and believe me i do try.

you can source the schuko version from over the pond i think. those helpful canadians do them..

the gold plated solid silver jobs you speak of have got to be good, makes sense but have not tried them.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing