Inside Llewyn Davis

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Saw this film yesterday as it was the only one on all of the lists of nominees that we hadn't seen yet.

We looked forward to seeing it as it was after all a film by the Coen Brothers. How could it be anything but good. The film has been preceded by rave reviews as well as an MRQE.com metric score of 83 which should have made it a decent film.

What a disappointment.My wife and I left the theater scratching our heads wondering what we missed in this film that we disliked it so much. It was a film with essentially no beginning and certainly no ending. It had a slow meandering story.

The story line in one simple sentence.....

A week in the life of a young singer as he navigates the Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961.

The film did have a good ensemble cast in cameo roles including Carey Mulligan and John Goodman (who seems to be in everything these days)

Just under two hours

Just my $0.02

Thumbs down for us

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's funny, I loved it. Very different. The development of the characters was wonderful as was the acting.

Missed you buddy!

I'm in between. It was a let down because I expected a little more about the Village music scene back then and the Bohemian lifestyle. Loved the Columbia Sociology professor. But I thought it was interesting from the point of view that everyone thought they could be a star.

Steve Williams

Missed you buddy!

I'm in between. It was a let down because I expected a little more about the Village music scene back then and the Bohemian lifestyle. Loved the Columbia Sociology professor. But I thought it was interesting from the point of view that everyone thought they could be a star.

just a nice way of saying the movie sucked ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Thanks for the input- was about to take my family to see the movie with high expectations. Oh well, guess we'll have to stay home and listen to my daughter's favorite band, Animal Collective, on the stereo before she returns to college. Steve, it really wasn't worth a $4.99 Apple rental?

Steve Williams

Thanks for the input- was about to take my family to see the movie with high expectations. Oh well, guess we'll have to stay home and listen to my daughter's favorite band, Animal Collective, on the stereo before she returns to college. Steve, it really wasn't worth a $4.99 Apple rental?

well to say you saw the latest Coen Bros movie might be worth that

Look, the critics can't be all wrong as the reviews are all positive. I just didn't like it nor did my wife.
YMMV

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing