Innuos Pulsar ????

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
I am interested in this streamer. It was scheduled to be released some months ago but still hasn't been
Does anyone with some "insider" knowledge know what the delay is and or when it will finally be released?
Perhaps at AXPONA?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Mr. Nuno Vitorino, the Director of Innuos brought a Pulsar streamer to visit Volent HK, the Innuos dealer in Hong Kong. Mr. Vitorino spoke in English in the following youtube clip :​

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
we finally have one the way. I expect it early next week. I will put it side by side with the Grimm MU1 both feeding to T+A HV DAC

***Dealer***

Last edited:

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021

Mr. Nuno Vitorino, the Director of Innuos brought a Pulsar streamer to visit Volent HK, the Innuos dealer in Hong Kong. Mr. Vitorino spoke in English in the following youtube clip :​

Thank you for the heads up!
This has been extremely illuminating, to say the least.
I was on the fence whether to upgrade to the Pulsar or not, since I've gradually grown weary of USB solutions and the USB only output of the Pulsar was really the one thing holding me back.
However, upon hearing this piece of news and thus becoming aware of the fact they plan to release more D to D modules, -other than USB- (including I2s no less) makes this quite an effortless decision, since all I have to do now is just wait a bit for the right module to be released and then jump on board.
BTW, that's a very smart move on Innuos' part, as so many "competitive" products have suddenly just lost their appeal (for me at least).:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

b345t

May 10, 2020
we finally have one the way. I expect it early next week. I will put it side by side with the Grimm MU1 both feeding to T+A HV DAC

***Dealer***
Any chance you can explain the differences you hear from Grimm MU1 vs Innuos (Statement?) ? I'm going to upgrade server soon, looking for as much information as possible. Cheers

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
Any chance you can explain the differences you hear from Grimm MU1 vs Innuos (Statement?) ? I'm going to upgrade server soon, looking for as much information as possible. Cheers
message sent

Reactions: b345t

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
Stating to break in my new Pulsar. First impressions are pretty strong. I still have my old Zenith MKIIse and Phoenix USB that I’m comparing it to. The bass now has a far broader tonal palette with way more grip and a more visceral control. It’s has a pretty elaborate new power supply, so beyond the bass improvement, I’m going wait a couple weeks to create a firm opinion, at least until after it has a couple hundred hours of play.

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
Received my Pulsar on Friday and have been playing the heck out of it.
I previously have been using an Aurender N200.
In initial notes of comparison, the Pulsar plays Bigger, fuller & denser.
The presentation is more of "bottom up".
Not shrill or bright.
So far very enjoyable.
The pulsar is very responsive to cables and network feed.
Cleaning up the network feed via Fiber optic was very noticeable and a great improvement.
Substituting a Sablon 2020 USB for my previous cable was icing on the cake.
Will see if anything changes with more break in time.
But so far, so (very) good.

Pello1

Oct 14, 2021
Not shrill or bright.
So far very enjoyable.
Cleaning up the network feed via Fiber optic was very noticeable and a great improvement.
Hi jadedavid,

this is Eric. I am on the way to Pulsar and want to ask you about your break expertinence. Do you swap the Aurender 200? What power chord are you using with the Innuos? Do you stream Tidal or Qubuz or do you play files from a server. Thankx for your reply ! Best regards Eric

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
I only stream and use both Tidal and Qobuz.
I am waiting until this weekend, when I have 300+ hours on the Pulsar before I do any direct head to head, cable to cable comparison between the Pulsar and the Aurender.
Will provide my opinion then.

Pello1

Oct 14, 2021
Not shrill or bright.
So far very enjoyable.

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
OK, this is my (and a friends) opinion on the comparison between the Pulsar and the N200.
this is not a scientific comparison. This was done in my room and using my equipment, see signature below, YMMV.
I tried to keep things as equal as possible. My streaming set up comes over on a fiber optic cable which then goes to a Sonore optical converter which then, using all blue Jean RJ 45 cables, proceeds To a Netgear switch and from there to the two streamers. The power cables are identical on both as are the USB cables. I played pink noise through each streamer and verified the volume output to be within .1 Db of each other.
Overall impressions of the units themselves.
Both appear to be well made.
The Pulsar is rather plain, with the exception of the faceted front plate. However it is very substantial in weight and feels very solid.
The N 200 is decent in appearance and in build but with no outstanding features except for a screen for viewing the musical selection.However I have it turned off and do not use it.
Operating systems.
I am not overly familiar with many of the operating systems out there. I have only briefly used Roon. I previously had a LUMIN and used their app.
But between the Aurender “Conductor “ app and the Innuos “Sense” app, there is no comparison.
The Sense app is fabulous. My friend commented that with this app there is no need to have Roon.
The Sound
Starting with the treble the nod would be to the Pulsar. While both were good the Pulsar had elements that stood out and placed it ahead of the N 200.
In the midrange the Pulsar had more detail and was cleaner.
In the mid-bass, the N200 Holds a slight lead in being ever so slightly warmer.
In the bass the Pulsar comes through on top.
We both preferred the soundstage width and depth of the Pulsar.
Furthermore the Pulsar presents as having better PRAT.
Having said all of this. They were far more similar than different. And the differences were small even though noticeable. We both concluded that we could live with either one of them.
In the end though the winner of this shoot out is the Pulsar.
However even if they were identical in performance, the sense app would push things in favor of the Pulsar.

b345t

May 10, 2020
OK, this is my (and a friends) opinion on the comparison between the Pulsar and the N200.
this is not a scientific comparison. This was done in my room and using my equipment, see signature below, YMMV.
I tried to keep things as equal as possible. My streaming set up comes over on a fiber optic cable which then goes to a Sonore optical converter which then, using all blue Jean RJ 45 cables, proceeds To a Netgear switch and from there to the two streamers. The power cables are identical on both as are the USB cables. I played pink noise through each streamer and verified the volume output to be within .1 Db of each other.
Overall impressions of the units themselves.
Both appear to be well made.
The Pulsar is rather plain, with the exception of the faceted front plate. However it is very substantial in weight and feels very solid.
The N 200 is decent in appearance and in build but with no outstanding features except for a screen for viewing the musical selection.However I have it turned off and do not use it.
Operating systems.
I am not overly familiar with many of the operating systems out there. I have only briefly used Roon. I previously had a LUMIN and used their app.
But between the Aurender “Conductor “ app and the Innuos “Sense” app, there is no comparison.
The Sense app is fabulous. My friend commented that with this app there is no need to have Roon.
The Sound
Starting with the treble the nod would be to the Pulsar. While both were good the Pulsar had elements that stood out and placed it ahead of the N 200.
In the midrange the Pulsar had more detail and was cleaner.
In the mid-bass, the N200 Holds a slight lead in being ever so slightly warmer.
In the bass the Pulsar comes through on top.
We both preferred the soundstage width and depth of the Pulsar.
Furthermore the Pulsar presents as having better PRAT.
Having said all of this. They were far more similar than different. And the differences were small even though noticeable. We both concluded that we could live with either one of them.
In the end though the winner of this shoot out is the Pulsar.
However even if they were identical in performance, the sense app would push things in favor of the Pulsar.
Nice review. I believe the Sean Jacobs power supply will need at least a month longer to break in (possibly more), maybe you will feel the mid-bass will get better. I have always tried to tell people that the Sense app is incredible and that the Innuos they remember from the past has nothing to do with the sound quality you get when using their app. If you are a Roon-only / diehard user, then Innuos is not the server to go for.

Reactions: kennyb123

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
b345t Thank you.
Yes, the general consensus is that the Mundorf capacitors used in the power supply do take a very long time to fully break in and I look forward to any further improvements.
I am a cable "believer" as I hear differences in cables.
In my A-B, I used matching cables connected to both streamers and was able to unplug one USB cable and insert the other USB cable at the DAC. Thereby allowing a rather quick change, without disturbing too many cables/connections.
The USB cables were decent, WW Starlight 8, and any sonic signature from them should have either handicapped or helped both streamers.
Changing the WW USB for a Sablon USB is one of those "wow" moments, enhancing and complimenting the qualities of the Pulsar. Filling in and fleshing out the sound. Creating a "you are there" dimensionality.
(it also provided an improvement to the N200 but not to the same degree)
The Pulsar , IMO, is a true bargain in mid priced server options, Punching WAY above it's price point.
Thank you Innuos.

Terrycwk

Sep 14, 2020

***Dealer***
Hello PaulB, may I ask how the comparison between the Pulsar and the Grimm MU1 went? Together with the Aqua Linq I’m trying see which one I should target. Many thanks in advance!

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
Can Pulsar be used as an Upnp endpoint?
If you mean streaming via Upnp to the Pulsar and controlled by an outside app (like Bubble upnp for example), then NO.
Pulsar can only stream to another Upnp endpoint.
Streaming to the Pulsar can be done either by its own dedicated app (Sense), Roon, HQPlayer or LMS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing