In The Court Of The Crimson King

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
I just got the reissue of this album yesterday, it is one of my all time favorites and has been out of print on vinyl for 20 years now. I have been searching for a "clean" copy of this album for over 5 years and refused to pay $300 for a sealed copy. I would recommend this reissue available through elusive disc and the others for $30 to anyone who enjoys King Crimson tunes, the 200 gram vinyl is dead quite with zero surface noise on my copy and sounds superb, finally my search is over for this one.

Dan

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sweet! My orginal copy is in VG++ condition, but I may have to get this.....thanks!:)

John

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The CD remaster from a few years back was excellent as well. My favorite Crimso period came a few years later with Larks' Tongues, Starless and Red, but ITCOTCK is a classic.

Tim

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
There is a 3 CD + DVD-A set that has 24/96 high-rez of both the original mix as well as a 2009 re-master. I still prefer the original mix. Does anyone know which mix the new vinyl re-issue is off? I'll definitely buy one to replace my worn-out original, but if it's the 2009 remaster, I'll stick to the digital - which is fabulous.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I just got the reissue of this album yesterday, it is one of my all time favorites and has been out of print on vinyl for 20 years now. I have been searching for a "clean" copy of this album for over 5 years and refused to pay $300 for a sealed copy. I would recommend this reissue available through elusive disc and the others for $30 to anyone who enjoys King Crimson tunes, the 200 gram vinyl is dead quite with zero surface noise on my copy and sounds superb, finally my search is over for this one.

Dan

Problem with many of these rock reissues is that they're sourced from questionable digital copies (? of what master tape????). One never knows and I've been reluctant to try many of them. The last rock album tried was a Yes album and the reissue was horrible. The biggest tipoff whether the LP reissue is digital or analog sourced are the dynamics. Many of the rock LPs from digital sources are severely compressed.

BTW, the original LP that is the best sounding is the George Piros mastered KC. It will say AT/GP in the deadwax.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Hi Myles, this lp is advertised as being cut from the "original studio master" and that would be from 1969. So I don't know how that could be a digital copy. I have many copies of this recording on both cd and vinyl and this latest one is the best sounding one I have. FWIW I have found a lot of the Yes albums to sound lets just say less than stellar, a lot of people will probably disagree with that but thats how I hear them.

Dan

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi Myles, this lp is advertised as being cut from the "original studio master" and that would be from 1969. So I don't know how that could be a digital copy. I have many copies of this recording on both cd and vinyl and this latest one is the best sounding one I have. FWIW I have found a lot of the Yes albums to sound lets just say less than stellar, a lot of people will probably disagree with that but thats how I hear them.

Dan

Dan,

Don't forget that there can be a lot of variability in copy to copy and pressing to pressing. No 2 copies of the same LP sound quite the same. So, your pressings may not be as good as some others. From my understanding even different copies of the same CD pressings will sound a little different from copy to copy.

Rich

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Dan

Dan:

Does it say who remastered the King Crimson?

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
True, but all I am saying is that I have three copies of this album on vinyl on two different labels including the Atlantic release, plus 2 copies on cd along with a dvd-a and the new release that just came out sounds much better than any of those, thats all I was saying.

Dan

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles it was John Dent at Loud Mastering......myself I have never heard of him.

Dan

John Dent is quite well known and has a great rep in the industry. He worked with Tim de { for a while maybe a decade or so ago at The Exchange in London. Think he was involved in remastering some good rock albums back in the '80s such as Grace Jones, Cat Stevens, and a few others. John still uses Tim's modded gear as well as it seems as Manley and other electronics. So he will do a great job remastering-but the source of course is still always in question. Too many record companies just want to make a crappy digital copy rather than send the original master tape (some don't even know where the original master is and may send 2nd or 3 rd gen tapes for remastering. Ugh....

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Myles, I believe what you are saying is quite true, there are some really poor sounding rock "remasters" out there thats why it is so refreshing to find a real good sounding one for a change. As of late I have been purchasing used MFSL vinyl, a lot of their stuff sounds pretty good, I just picked up a copy of Supertramp Crime of the Century a very clean recording and I am a big Supertramp fan, I also picked up a MFSL Muddy Waters Folk Singer still waiting to receive that one.

Dan

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Myles, I believe what you are saying is quite true, there are some really poor sounding rock "remasters" out there thats why it is so refreshing to find a real good sounding one for a change. As of late I have been purchasing used MFSL vinyl, a lot of their stuff sounds pretty good, I just picked up a copy of Supertramp Crime of the Century a very clean recording and I am a big Supertramp fan, I also picked up a MFSL Muddy Waters Folk Singer still waiting to receive that one.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Big Supertramp fan as well here! :). Although I should say they lost me when Breakfast In America was released. Crisis? What Crisis? is my fave album by them. Like you, I'm looking into buying some of the MFSL recordings from various artists, including Alan Parsons' I, Robot.

John

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Hi Dan,

Big Supertramp fan as well here! :). Although I should say they lost me when Breakfast In America was released.

John
Me too, John. That album was released toward the end of the disco era and I always thought some of the songs on that album were Supertramp's version of disco. I saw them in concert a couple of times in the late 70s, though, and boy were they great.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Me too, John. That album was released toward the end of the disco era and I always thought some of the songs on that album were Supertramp's version of disco. I saw them in concert a couple of times in the late 70s, though, and boy were they great.

Got my TT spinning (old habit... I'll turn on my system and let it warm up for about 15-30 minutes...have no idea if it really helps, but I think it does (?))......feel like some Fool's Overture from Even In The Quiestest's Moments.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I was lucky enough to work for Polydor Records when I was 18 and got freebie tickets to some amazing concerts. After I left (why oh why did I do that?) I kept in touch with the guys in their Promo and A&R depts and kept getting tickets....saw Supertramp twice as a result and loved it.

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing