iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Can you use the i2S output to connect to a DAC and bypass the on-board DAC? If so, will it connect to a PSAudio DirectStream? Also, it looks like there is no built-in support as an LMS endpoint, e.g., "SqueezeLite." Has anyone tested it as an LMS endpoint in DLNA mode?
1. Yes, you can use I2S (and all of the other digital outs) to byspass the integrated DAC
2. I couldn't see the pinout for the I2S connector in the manual of the PS audio DAC, so I think you might need to ask them about it. Ours is described in the specification part: https://ifi-audio.com/products/neo-stream/
3. We do not provide that for this unit.

AJD

Mar 6, 2023
Hello, this is my first post here. I purchased a Zen Stream a couple months ago and am impressed with the sound quality, but find it a bit lacking in support for Qobuz, my preferred streaming service. I have tried playing Qobuz via AirPlay, Mconnect, Audirvana, and BubbleUPnP, but I would certainly welcome the addition of Chromecast, as it would allow me to stream straight from the Qobuz app in hi-res up to 96kHz and it’s the closest thing Qobuz currently offers to a Connect feature.

@AMR / iFi audio How is the Chromecast situation currently looking? Is there any chance this feature could be added in the not-too-distant future? If so, any idea of what the time frame might be? I see a post from October (#230) stating that “the issue is not on our side of the playing field.” What exactly is the issue, if I may ask? Is Google just not being cooperative? If that’s the case, I wonder if it would be possible for iFi to implement a Chromecast platform with little to no assistance from them by using existing code?

On a related note, I’ve heard that Qobuz is working on their own Connect feature (like Spotify or Tidal Connect). If/when Qobuz comes out with this feature, would iFi consider working with them to add Qobuz Connect to the Zen Stream? If that could happen, I think it would be the best solution of all for Qobuz users.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello, this is my first post here. I purchased a Zen Stream a couple months ago and am impressed with the sound quality, but find it a bit lacking in support for Qobuz, my preferred streaming service. I have tried playing Qobuz via AirPlay, Mconnect, Audirvana, and BubbleUPnP, but I would certainly welcome the addition of Chromecast, as it would allow me to stream straight from the Qobuz app in hi-res up to 96kHz and it’s the closest thing Qobuz currently offers to a Connect feature.

@AMR / iFi audio How is the Chromecast situation currently looking? Is there any chance this feature could be added in the not-too-distant future? If so, any idea of what the time frame might be? I see a post from October (#230) stating that “the issue is not on our side of the playing field.” What exactly is the issue, if I may ask? Is Google just not being cooperative? If that’s the case, I wonder if it would be possible for iFi to implement a Chromecast platform with little to no assistance from them by using existing code?

On a related note, I’ve heard that Qobuz is working on their own Connect feature (like Spotify or Tidal Connect). If/when Qobuz comes out with this feature, would iFi consider working with them to add Qobuz Connect to the Zen Stream? If that could happen, I think it would be the best solution of all for Qobuz users.
Hello! I'm glad you've been enjoying the ZEN Stream. Unfortunately, there isn't any news regarding the Chromecast functionality, but we're still not dropping it. Currently, it's in progress. Regarding Qobuz - right now it's being considered, once there is any news regarding that, we will keep giving updates. :)

alebc74

Apr 29, 2023
Hi, I just bought the ifi Zen Stream and I have it connected to a Chord Mojo in the micro usb port (which allows DSD 256). I have tried all the configurations on the zen stream but I can't play DSD 252 or 128 files, connected to an external hard drive. I restarted the streamer to factory settings and it says that "the souncard is not ready", when i update the software and try to play DSD it says "format nor supported"
I play DSD 256 from Hiby R5 Saber to the Mojo and it plays just fine.
Can you help me?

Regards

Alex

Northgraves

Oct 21, 2021
Hi, I just bought the ifi Zen Stream and I have it connected to a Chord Mojo in the micro usb port (which allows DSD 256). I have tried all the configurations on the zen stream but I can't play DSD 252 or 128 files, connected to an external hard drive. I restarted the streamer to factory settings and it says that "the souncard is not ready", when i update the software and try to play DSD it says "format nor supported"
Can you help me?

Regards

Alex
Are your settings similar to the attached?
Just checking if something very simple to fix here.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 10

alebc74

Apr 29, 2023
Can you help me?

Regards

Alex
Let me correct, when I try to play DSD 256 or 128, it says: "error: simple rate not supported"

Northgraves

Oct 21, 2021
Let me correct, when I try to play DSD 256 or 128, it says: "error: simple rate not supported"
Understood, so with the setup above, on the latest official (non-beta) firmware, it plays DSD 256 fine.

If the settings match, then possibly (likely) the compatibility of your specific DAC with Zen Stream's USB out.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Understood, so with the setup above, on the latest official (non-beta) firmware, it plays DSD 256 fine.

If the settings match, then possibly (likely) the compatibility of your specific DAC with Zen Stream's USB out.
Hello! Have you taken this issue up with the Customer Support?

alebc74

Apr 29, 2023
I have received the answer from iFi Customer Support, I told them that maybe the Zen Stream does not recognize the DAC (Chord Mojo) and they told me this:
Reply To Your Support Ticket​
Hello alebc74@gmail.com:

An agent just replied to your ticket: 131244.​
Hey Alejandro,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your ZEN Stream.
Unfortunately, you are correct - this issue tends to happen when the ZEN Stream does not recognise the VID/PID of the DAC connected to it.
There is a ZEN Stream update currently in the works that will be released in the future - but I cannot confirm whether this will fix your exact issue.
I can only apologise for not being able to help more with this situation. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.
Best
Nathan
Technical Support Advisor

I have tried with a Chord Qutest and the Zen Stream didn´t recognize that to play DSD files.

Thanks for your support Northgraves.​

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have received the answer from iFi Customer Support, I told them that maybe the Zen Stream does not recognize the DAC (Chord Mojo) and they told me this:
Reply To Your Support Ticket​
Hello alebc74@gmail.com:

An agent just replied to your ticket: 131244.​
Hey Alejandro,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your ZEN Stream.
Unfortunately, you are correct - this issue tends to happen when the ZEN Stream does not recognise the VID/PID of the DAC connected to it.
There is a ZEN Stream update currently in the works that will be released in the future - but I cannot confirm whether this will fix your exact issue.
I can only apologise for not being able to help more with this situation. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.
Best
Nathan
Technical Support Advisor

I have tried with a Chord Qutest and the Zen Stream didn´t recognize that to play DSD files.

Thanks for your support Northgraves.​
I'm sorry that your issue persists. I can only hope that the upcoming update resolves this issue so you can enjoy your music as intended. Please remember - should anything happen, do not hesitate to contact Customer Support.

bladeraptor

May 19, 2023
Hi

Thought I would post here in case anyone had some experience with using Foobar2000 with the Zen Stream

I have logged a case with iFi support as I can't get Foobar2000 - either the 32bit or 64 bit version using the 'UPnP MediaRenderer Output 1.4' plugin to push Audio files reliably from my Windows 10 PC to the Zen Stream

Foobar2000 will fairly consistently push FLAC at 24bit 192kh / 96khz but flat out refuses to push 24bit 41Kh files (Home encoded or Qubuz bought). Won't play out AAC/MP3 or any encoded format to the Zen Stream and is limited to DSD64 as far as I can see

The annoying thing is my Audirvana install plays everything out to the Zen Stream and I would use that if it weren't how configurearble Foobar2000 is, the cost of Audirvana and the fact that there are some strange audio artefacts or 'chirps' as Audirvana transitions between tracks on a playlist

Has anyone got Foobar2000 working with the Zen Stream?

bladeraptor

May 19, 2023
Why does the iFi Zen Stream as a UPnP / DLNA device have two entries (or in some cases 4) in the list of UPnP devices seen by the audio software?

I have enclosed some images from Audirvana where on the PC output choices the Zen Stream (which I have as 'IFi') has two entries (Exhibit A), as does the remote Audirvana App (Exhibit B) it has two entries and in Foobar2000 on my Windows 10 desktop it has 4 entries (Exhibit C) and finally in the UPnP Renderer .dll.cfg file it has a massive block of config text compared to the equivalent entry for my Pioneer Amp (Exhibit D).

I am sure there is a reason for this and I would be very intrigued to understand whether because the Zen Stream is so capable its UPnP 'footprint' is bigger?

Attachments

• Exhibit D.JPG
    Exhibit D.JPG
    888.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Exhibit B.png
    Exhibit B.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Exhibit C.JPG
    Exhibit C.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Exhibit A.jpg
    Exhibit A.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Why does the iFi Zen Stream as a UPnP / DLNA device have two entries (or in some cases 4) in the list of UPnP devices seen by the audio software?

I have enclosed some images from Audirvana where on the PC output choices the Zen Stream (which I have as 'IFi') has two entries (Exhibit A), as does the remote Audirvana App (Exhibit B) it has two entries and in Foobar2000 on my Windows 10 desktop it has 4 entries (Exhibit C) and finally in the UPnP Renderer .dll.cfg file it has a massive block of config text compared to the equivalent entry for my Pioneer Amp (Exhibit D).

I am sure there is a reason for this and I would be very intrigued to understand whether because the Zen Stream is so capable its UPnP 'footprint' is bigger?
Hi,
I know about your issue from the other forum. Please respond to a message there :)

If anybody with a greater experience with DLNA can contribute, please do.

bladeraptor

May 19, 2023
Hi,
I know about your issue from the other forum. Please respond to a message there :)

If anybody with a greater experience with DLNA can contribute, please do.
And this issue of the multiple UPnP profiles is less related to my existing ticket with iFi support (which is about Foobar2000 being unable to play supported file types out to the Zen Stream via UPnP) and more of just interest why does the Zen Stream manifest multiple UPnP profiles? Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
And this issue of the multiple UPnP profiles is less related to my existing ticket with iFi support (which is about Foobar2000 being unable to play supported file types out to the Zen Stream via UPnP) and more of just interest why does the Zen Stream manifest multiple UPnP profiles? Has anyone else seen this?
I'm terribly sorry, but I don't know how to help you at this point. Please contact our support, they are much wiser than me :)

bladeraptor

May 19, 2023
@ifi - thanks for the update. Another user on a different forum pointed out what I think is the truth. When a 32bit Foobar2000 installation has the UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Media Server, Control Point plug-in installed then the iFi registration with Foobar2000 changes and this is because "foo_out_upnp supports OpenHome renderers as well standard UPnP/DLNA renderers. So what I can see from consulting the foo_out_upnp dll cfg file that iFi does indeed register an OpenHome renderer as well as a standard UPnP one so we then have two entries I am seeing in the UI. However ideally iFi would register the two entries differently so we could be distinguished in the Foobar UI element dealing with outputs as two distinct types of output registrations (which apparently other stream / DAC products do "my upmpdclis have got a (slightly) different name for the two types of renderer. .... it looks like iFi have decided to give them the exact same name in the Zen Stream (at least by default), so you won't be able to tell which one you are using with the foo_out_upnp plugin." When you have the UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Media Server, Control Point plug-in installed (sadly only works with the 32 bit version of Foobar) it provides different names for the iFI UPnP entries - but ideally that should work with the UPnP MediaRenderer Output plug-in as well

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing