If YouTube recordings sound good, why do commercial digital releases sound so bad.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Here's an example, compare this to the sound of the version of this track on on Tidal/Qobuz.

I think there are too much electronic instruments sounds (hi-fi sound, un-natural sound) for a small space which overwhelming the singer's voice. Usually, human ears filter for the more human voice (natural sound). But the singer's voice is vague to compare to much hi-fi sounds for this small room.

Different case (larger room, little hi-fi) with this video. In the beginning of video, the electric organ sound drives my ears to hi-fi sound mode. When the singer starts signing (sound bad, bright!) and (because) my ears stay in hi-fi mode. If I concentrate for her voice, then my ears change to natural sound mode and her voice is nice and brightness gone (small hi-fi sound is controlled, organ sounds bad now but it don't matter. Singer's voice is important).

I think there are too much electronic instruments sounds (hi-fi sound, un-natural sound) for a small space which overwhelming the singer's voice. Usually, human ears filter for the more human voice (natural sound). But the singer's voice is vague to compare to much hi-fi sounds for this small room.

Different case (larger room, little hi-fi) with this video. In the beginning of video, the electric organ sound drives my ears to hi-fi sound mode. When the singer starts signing (sound bad, bright!) and (because) my ears stay in hi-fi mode. If I concentrate for her voice, then my ears change to natural sound mode and her voice is nice and brightness gone (small hi-fi sound is controlled, organ sounds bad now but it don't matter. Singer's voice is important).

This thread is a bit of a rant about the poor quality of sound on Tidal/Qobuz, did you manage to compare the Norah Jones track?

Last edited:
Because most of the youtube videos contain less processing. Unfortunately mixing and mastering involves a lot of processing in order to make a recording sound good but it kills the lifelike character. And I mean both digital and analog processing. That’s one of the many reasons why direct to disc recordings sound more lifelike.

Here's another one,
personally sampled and uploaded to YouTube:

For my ears the youtube upload sounds better than what is available on Tidal.

The version on Tidal sounds as if you raised the colors on your TV to maximum saturation.
What is the audiophile term "bright"?

Because most of the youtube videos contain less processing. Unfortunately mixing and mastering involves a lot of processing in order to make a recording sound good but it kills the lifelike character. And I mean both digital and analog processing. That’s one of the many reasons why direct to disc recordings sound more lifelike.
Yes, what I don't get is why the artists don't insist on more realistic recording quality, we know it's possible with a simple set up, like this recorded with Tascam X6:

Here's another one,
personally sampled and uploaded to YouTube:

For my ears the youtube upload sounds better than what is available on Tidal.

The version on Tidal sounds as if you raised the colors on your TV to maximum saturation.
What is the audiophile term "bright"?

Yes, assume it's a vinyl rip, sounds great! Blows the Tidal version away. So this is your YouTube channel?

Reactions: Rexp
Yes, what I don't get is why the artists don't insist on more realistic recording quality, we know it's possible with a simple set up, like this recorded with Tascam X6:

Do you think artists are audiophiles or care about sound quality? Do you think an average artist would ask better quality than mp3 at home? Additionally when recording and mastering engineers confidently talk about how they will make the recording sound better while sitting in front of mountain of gear it’s very convincing. Creators and consumers of art are two different groups. An artist may not always appreciate a work of art.

Reactions: wil
This is interesting.

It had never occurred to me that Youtube might offer good sounding recordings until I heard an interview with someone talking about it. I'll see if I can find the link.

I agree it can be depressing how the dynamics is drained from the music on many recordings.

Are you comparing the Tidal/Qobuz and YouTube versions through your 2 channel system or through headphones from a laptop?

I'd be curious to hear an apples to apples comparison, but have no idea how I'd listen to YouTube through my system which streams either through Taiko's Xdms player or Roon....

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur
This is interesting.

It had never occurred to me that Youtube might offer good sounding recordings until I heard an interview with someone talking about it. I'll see if I can find the link.

I agree it can be depressing how the dynamics is drained from the music on many recordings.

Are you comparing the Tidal/Qobuz and YouTube versions through your 2 channel system or through headphones from a laptop?

I'd be curious to hear an apples to apples comparison, but have no idea how I'd listen to YouTube through my system which streams either through Taiko's Xdms player or Roon....
Yeah, laptop>DAC>headphones. Can't you just connect your laptop to your DAC?

Do you think artists are audiophiles or care about sound quality? Do you think an average artist would ask better quality than mp3 at home? Additionally when recording and mastering engineers confidently talk about how they will make the recording sound better while sitting in front of mountain of gear it’s very convincing. Creators and consumers of art are two different groups. An artist may not always appreciate a work of art.
I would guess most artists want their music to be heard as they intended it to be heard. This guy is certainly not happy with digital recording of his work produced in this session :

Here's one I posted elsewhere, sounds way better than the streaming version :

Yes,
that's strange effect that you can hear better SQ from a mic recording of speakers or a vinyl/cd rip uploaded to youtube, then playing i source.

examples:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing