If you were to be a dealer, what lines would you like to carry and why?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
CAT for sure the whole line
LAMM may be
Gryphon power amps very likely .
Boulder pre amps may be .
With Dartzeel i d have to check out this battery powered pre amp first , if it is dynamically fine .
I had a very bad expirience with the battery powered Nagra plp .
And on lloyds request R Koda pre amps :)

Attachments

• CAT-LEGEND.jpeg
    CAT-LEGEND.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Gryphon_Audio_Mephisto_Solo.jpg
    Gryphon_Audio_Mephisto_Solo.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 4
  • dartzeel.jpg
    dartzeel.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 3
  • boulder.jpg
    boulder.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 02-Robert-Koda-Takumi-K10_test_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_com.jpg
    02-Robert-Koda-Takumi-K10_test_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_com.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I was given this advice as a youth -- "Never turn your hobby into a business". I think this is sound advice. It will turn your hobby into work and strip the enjoyment you get out of it. Also, you are emotionally attached to the stuff you are trying to sell thus inhibiting your ability to make good business decisions.
Stumbled on this old thread... and your comment above is one I have considered at length. I think it was Mark Twain, writing about becoming a river boat captain, said the magic and allure of the river was lost once he learned every sand bar and eddy.

I am hoping as I embark on hosting a “Rhapsody Listening Room” here in Portland I am able to enjoy playing with new gear and sharing with others. I already have done it quite a bit... though rather than appointments to audition it has been invitations on my part to have folks over to share the joys of the hobby. I am lucky I already have built-out a good sounding, aesthetically pleasing space. Hopefully over time I’ll make some new friends and expose some folks to gear they otherwise would not have heard or easily auditioned. My wife hopes it keeps me out of the pool hall and I stop spending our retirement on audio gear!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The same story. How to make a small fortune in the wine business. Start with a large fortune.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Difficult for a hobby to fail. It would have to be heavily subsidized. lol

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But the showroom should be the blast .
Trapezium shaped sidewalls and a sloped ceiling and acoustically sealed , nothing exists like that in the netherlands.
As mike lavigne already stated years ago , the room is the thing but most dealers skip on that.
If you wanna give your clients an exeptional experience that is

Last edited:
Reactions: astrotoy

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Trapezium shaped sidewalls and a sloped ceiling and acoustically sealed , nothing exists like that in the netherlands.
As mike lavigne already stated years ago , the room is the thing but most dealers skip on that
The ROOM!
As I stated, I am fortunate to have a good room already. It will make the whole RLR experience much better for those who come to audition. When I visited Magico just last week, to hear the M9s with the Pilium electronics, as soon as I and my guest walked into Alon's listening room we looked at each other and immediately acknowledged "this room feels just like my room at home". I think the Magico room is probably a bit more lively than my own, but it is also twice the size/volume.

with-ROMAs-2-.jpg
(A little Photoshop fun to drop a pair of Diesis Roma into the room.)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The ROOM!
As I stated, I am fortunate to have a good room already. It will make the whole RLR experience much better for those who come to audition. When I visited Magico just last week, to hear the M9s with the Pilium electronics, as soon as I and my guest walked into Alon's listening room we looked at each other and immediately acknowledged "this room feels just like my room at home". I think the Magico room is probably a bit more lively than my own, but it is also twice the size/volume.

View attachment 77676
(A little Photoshop fun to drop a pair of Diesis Roma into the room.)
You over photoshopped the toe-in on the left speaker Bob :)!

Nice scenery, I might be flying out to spend time in your room.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As mike lavigne already stated years ago , the room is the thing but most dealers skip on that.
If you wanna give your clients an exeptional experience that is
Exceptional dealer rooms can cause problems - the customer listens, enjoys, buys and carries home. Then finds that in his room sound is nothing he expects and returns goods ...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You over photoshopped the toe-in on the left speaker Bob :)!

Nice scenery, I might be flying out to spend time in your room.

david
You are welcome here anytime David. A little cooler in the summer months than S. Utah.

I only hope if isn’t natural enough you will still find it pleasing. I promise—it doesn’t suck!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You are welcome here anytime David. A little cooler in the summer months than S. Utah.

I only hope if isn’t natural enough you will still find it pleasing. I promise—it doesn’t suck!
I read somewhere that you have mood altering beverages to help with getting natural!:)! I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic space!

david

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Exceptional dealer rooms can cause problems - the customer listens, enjoys, buys and carries home. Then finds that in his room sound is nothing he expects and returns goods ...
I dont agree .
A dealer should sell an expirience , expose people to the best possible .
Good gear doesnt just fall apart when placed in a lesser room .
Plus if You re a dealer and you spend a good amount of time in the shop it might as well be worth it.
Plus i dont " tune " the system with cabling , the stuff is either good or not .
Plus i dont sell underpowered combinations.
Off course you can tell the customer the room matters a lot .

Ps but the dealer in NL with the best room went out of business 10 years ago so there is may be some thruth to what your re saying

Last edited:
Reactions: metaphacts

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Then finds that in his room sound is nothing he expects and returns goods ...
Most likely this has to do with crappy built speakers , freq responses that are badly designed /crappy cabinets/ crappy bass .
Those speakers you need to move around the whole day to get a bit of a good balance ..
Good gear should sound good from the start given it fits the room size.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Most likely this has to do with crappy built speakers , freq responses that are badly designed /crappy cabimets/ crappy bass .
Those speakers you need to move around the whole day to get a bit of a good balance ..
Good gear should sound good from the start given it fits the room size.
Why do you exclude a crappy room / speaker placement as main cause?
As far as I see it, most modern speakers are quite decent, only a minority deserve the epithet of "crappy".

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why do you exclude a crappy room / speaker placement as main cause?
You are talking about a person who wants to bring the stuff back to the store so i assume the dealer has already been to his house to check on the set up.

What s your idea then ?

Have 3 rooms in a dealer ship .

room 1 complete crap

2 neither good nor bad

3 excellent sounding room

Room 1 filled with cheap: crappy low margin gear

room 3 filled with excellent high margin gear :):cool:

Or do you prefer all simple average persons rooms?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You are talking about a person who wants to bring the stuff back to the store so i assume the dealer has already been to his house to check on the set up.

What s your idea then ?

Have 3 rooms in a dealer ship .

room 1 complete crap

2 neither good nor bad

3 excellent sounding room

Room 1 filled with cheap: crappy low margin gear

room 3 filled with excellent high margin gear :):cool:

Or do you prefer all simple average persons rooms?

Much more complicated than 1, 2 or 3. My own preference does not matter - as well as my definition of excellent room - perhaps very different from yours.

My points were simple - some dealers find that equipment should be demoed in rooms of similar sound quality as most people can have at home . this means good, not excellent for me, and most of the current speakers are not "crappy".

BTW, I do not carry demos and I am not a dealer, never thought seriously on what I should do if I wanted to become a dealer. But I appreciate dealers who have comfortable chairs - yes, I know that bonzo75 will soon say that this is the way I choose speakers to demo!

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
I dont agree .
A dealer should sell an expirience , expose people to the best possible .
Good gear doesnt just fall apart when placed in a lesser room .
Plus if You re a dealer and you spend a good amount of time in the shop it might as well be worth it.
Plus i dont " tune " the system with cabling , the stuff is either good or not .
Plus i dont sell underpowered combinations.
Off course you can tell the customer the room matters a lot .

Ps but the dealer in NL with the best room went out of business 10 years ago so there is may be some thruth to what your re saying
Anyone can set up speakers in a great room. The trick is to be able to get exceptional performance in a normal home environment. The better the dealer is at this, the less likely it is that any gear is coming back.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Anyone can set up speakers in a great room. The trick is to be able to get exceptional performance in a normal home environment. The better the dealer is at this, the less likely it is that any gear is coming back.
Sure , some dealers are very good at it indeed .
Same as show set ups , some are set up as a memorable experience others are nothing special or even worse .
I still can remember the nice demo peter mcgrath did back in 2005 in rotterdam on Maxx 2 : halcro /levinson / wadia and a small tape nagra tapedeck .

The question here was ; is it a good idea for the dealer to have an exceptional room in order to make the sale in the first place , i d say yes.
Micro thinks its risky .
I d say good gear deserves the best , because it sticks in people s minds

Reactions: metaphacts

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing