If you don't think physical appearance matters, watch this.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
A homeless man begs for a small amount of change, first dressed in a nice business jacket and then as he normally dresses.

Not a surprise but really unfortunate.

[video]http://www.godvine.com/How-People-Treated-This-Homeless-Man-Will-Surprise-You-But-Not-The-Way-You-Think-Shocking--5768.html?utm_source=GodVine%20Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=08/06/2014[/video]

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The results were not unexpected, but that was an eye-opening video to actually see the difference between the peoples' reactions.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
This is definitely an interesting experiment, but, in all honesty, I would had reacted differently.

If someone is begging for money, usually my first criterion to decide whether to give or not to, is if that person is young/senior and healthy/with a disability. I think I might have given more than $50 (divided in several donations) to a man on a wheelchair and a terrible thing going on with his ankles: he smokes, so he's wasting the money I give him, but I feel terrible for him.

If a man wearing a suit and using a cell phone asks me for few bucks, I'd tell him where the closest ATM is.

If someone old, or truly poor, asked me for money for food, I happened to directly buy food for them. IMHO, that's the best donation.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
The second case can definitely be shameful. Well, let's remove the can.

I have a couple of anecdotes about that, though. As a M.D., I offered my help in a number of cases, and, strangely, help was more frequently rejected than accepted (specially if the cause of a collapse is drugs).
But once I listened to something that made me furious: a couple was walking in the downtown center of my old town in Italy. Some fest was going on and the crowd was large. The girl tells the man "should I fall here?". They moved away fast, so I could not follow them and alert the surrounding people about the risks in stopping and offering help.
Since then, I considered that the appearance can truly be misleading!

Unfortunately, in Italy many cases of aggressions are reported in contexts of provision of help for fake situations: most cases occur with people stopping cars for "emergencies". And unfortunately, when people know about these threats, they stop offering help...

The first case (i.e., money request) has a more complex psychology behind.
Then, again, I would never give money to someone that looks like having money: ATM machines are the solution to some cash-need problems, if someone needs cash...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It is a surprise to me. I would more often give to a ragged homeless guy than some guy in a suit. Drugs/alcohol or not. The percentage of addicted homeless is quite high compared to sober homeless people.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ross Kemp did a great episode (Extreme World) relating to the homeless in Las Vegas showing just how "invisible" they are to society.
Of course it shows those on sadly caught in downward spirals whether from some type of addiction, but also those caused by truly infortunate situations and who really are trying to improve their life.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing