Ideon Absolute E and Time Demo

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Yes, I have and I purchased the Vitus MP which is incoming (maybe three weeks out).

I’ve demoed many DACs in the last few months —->>> Aqua HiFi Formula xHD, CH Precision C1.2, dCS Vivaldi, EMM DA2V2 [which I presently own], Ideon Absolute E + Time, Kalista DreamPlayX + DAC, MSB Select II, MSB Ref., Playback Designs MPD-8, Thrax Libra, etc. and we were immediately memorized by the analogue sound of the Vitus MP DAC!

While others may disagree with our selection, to us we have purchased the most musical DAC available. The coming months will tell the rest of the story!
Joe how did you like the MPD-8 compared to other top dogs as it is on the musical camp ? and is it really far behind the Vitus MP DAC ?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Joe how did you like the MPD-8 compared to other top dogs as it is on the musical camp ? and is it really far behind the Vitus MP DAC ?

The MPD-8 is a good DAC - a friend of mine owns one and he brought it over for a week long listen. I’d say it’s just below the MSB Ref DAC in its sound presentation. It sounded too digital for me personally - too analytical for my taste. But it’s still good.

The Vitus MP DAC is analogue sounding. On most albums it literally sounds like our TT in its presentation.

As for being “far behind” I prefer to say that all these upper end DACs sound good. I was looking for the most analogue sounding one I could locate. With that in mind, if I were doing this on a percentage basis and considered the Vitus a 99, then I’d say the MPD was about an 80 “in our system.”

This said, IMO one really needs to hear a DAC in their own system before they purchase one. We all hear differently and we have different systems. The rest of the system influences what a DAC sounds like.

Reactions: Thieliste

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Congrats Joe on your purchase. May I ask how does the Vitus compare with the Ideon, especially in terms of natural timbres and detail recovery? Is the Vitus ahead in terms of timbres but Ideon ahead in terms of detail recovery....just my guess as I haven't heard either DAC yet? Many thanks

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Congrats Joe on your purchase. May I ask how does the Vitus compare with the Ideon, especially in terms of natural timbres and detail recovery? Is the Vitus ahead in terms of timbres but Ideon ahead in terms of detail recovery....just my guess as I haven't heard either DAC yet? Many thanks
Thanks. On the Ideon Absolute E + Time I found the timbres to be smooth and breezy. I really liked the sound. Excellent! On the Vitus I sense the same but they are even better balanced. There’s more of an organic natural sound with the Vitus (in part due I’m sure to the synergy with Vitus Line Stage).

The Ideon does sound more detailed than the Vitus, but IMO the Vitus sounds more natural. However, the Vitus reveals all the right detail - it doesn’t go overboard. For instance, when a note is played on the piano you are not just hearing that note, but also a series of successively higher frequencies. You have to get use to listening for this, but the Vitus is superior here and the sound is utterly captivating. IMO there’s a better flow - a better smoothness - to the overall music with Vitus.

The choice between the two for us was a no brainer per se. The Ideon is excellent and I’d highly recommend it, but the Vitus sounds better to my ears, is more economical, and then there’s the synergy with the rest of our Vitus system. This said, if I had a different Line Stage I may have chosen the Ideon. These two DACs are very close!

Both DACs surpassed the other DACs I mentioned above. IMO the are #1 and # 2 on the list.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@Audire said,

“For instance, when a note is played on the piano you are not just hearing that note, but also a series of successively higher frequencies. You have to get use to listening for this, but the Vitus is superior here and the sound is utterly captivating. IMO there’s a better flow - a better smoothness - to the overall music with Vitus.”

If the Vitus is able to render this as described, that’s natural and realistic. Just what one would presumably want. This is genuine music reproduction. How can the the Ideon Absolute be the more “detailed “ DAC? No, the Vitus is the more detailed as it’s natural rather than artificial.
Charles

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
@Audire said,

“For instance, when a note is played on the piano you are not just hearing that note, but also a series of successively higher frequencies. You have to get use to listening for this, but the Vitus is superior here and the sound is utterly captivating. IMO there’s a better flow - a better smoothness - to the overall music with Vitus.”

If the Vitus is able to render this as described, that’s natural and realistic. Just what one would presumably want. This is genuine reproduction. How can the the Ideiln be the more “detailed “ DAC? No, the Vitus is the more detailed as it’s natural rather than artificial.
Charles
I agree. The Ideon Absolute + Time is overly detailed IMO but still excellent! So, I referred to it as more detailed. IMO, the Vitus just does a better presentation as a whole. It’s more balanced IMO. However, with a different Line Stage (i.e. Pre) I may have chosen the Ideon. It’s the synergy of the entire system that produces the sound.…

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@Audire
I think that I’m confused by “over detailed “ with regard to the Ideon. Is it really providing more musical detail/ information or just altering the presentation?

If it doesn’t reproduce the piano as truthfully as you described the Vitus, then what is it doing with the piano notes alternatively? If it was really more detail than the Vitus you’d here information from it that the Vitus is missing or obscuring.

This doesn’t seem to be occurring. Thus my suspicion that the Ideon isn’t presenting more detail but perhaps an artificial/contrived rendering of recordings.

Based on what you wrote, The Vitus DAC is the one getting it right. Authentic detail should by default be the most natural sounding.
Charles

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
@Audire
I think that I’m confused by “over detailed “ with regard to the Ideon. Is it really providing more musical detail/ information or just altering the presentation?

If it doesn’t reproduce the piano as truthfully as you described the Vitus, then what is it doing with the piano notes alternatively? If it was really more detail than the Vitus you’d here information from it that the Vitus is missing or obscuring.

This doesn’t seem to be occurring. Thus my suspicion that the Ideon isn’t presenting more detail but perhaps an artificial/contrived rendering of recordings.

Based on what you wrote, The Vitus DAC is the one getting it right. Authentic detail should by default be the most natural sounding.
Charles
As I have done home audition of Ideon Absolute for one week, it is very excellent Dac.

At that level, choice of Dac is dependent on system and personal taste.

I never got the impression that it is over detailed.

But after doing side by side demonstration of Wadax and Ideon at dealer's showroom, Wadax sound more natural and analog although Absolute did not need to get ashamed.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
As I have done home audition of Ideon Absolute for one week, it is very excellent Dac.

At that level, choice of Dac is dependent on system and personal taste.

I never got the impression that it is over detailed.

But after doing side by side demonstration of Wadax and Ideon at dealer's showroom, Wadax sound more natural and analog although Absolute did not need to get ashamed.
Understood and no question that individual taste and audio system set-up are major factors. My only observation is that when people say “natural “ versus “detailed “ the former description is the the one that seems to get the music reproduction right. There’s strong connotation to the term natural.
Charles

Reactions: lordcloud

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
@Audire

Charles
Yes, that’s what I’m attempting to state. Sorry for any confusion because of my wording …

Reactions: charles1dad

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Thanks. On the Ideon Absolute E + Time I found the timbres to be smooth and breezy. I really liked the sound. Excellent! On the Vitus I sense the same but they are even better balanced. There’s more of an organic natural sound with the Vitus (in part due I’m sure to the synergy with Vitus Line Stage).

The Ideon does sound more detailed than the Vitus, but IMO the Vitus sounds more natural. However, the Vitus reveals all the right detail - it doesn’t go overboard. For instance, when a note is played on the piano you are not just hearing that note, but also a series of successively higher frequencies. You have to get use to listening for this, but the Vitus is superior here and the sound is utterly captivating. IMO there’s a better flow - a better smoothness - to the overall music with Vitus.

The choice between the two for us was a no brainer per se. The Ideon is excellent and I’d highly recommend it, but the Vitus sounds better to my ears, is more economical, and then there’s the synergy with the rest of our Vitus system. This said, if I had a different Line Stage I may have chosen the Ideon. These two DACs are very close!

Both DACs surpassed the other DACs I mentioned above. IMO the are #1 and # 2 on the list.
Hello Joe, many thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed and helpful feedback. Really appreciate it. Happy listening.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Understood and no question that individual taste and audio system set-up are major factors. My only observation is that when people say “natural “ versus “detailed “ the former description is the the one that seems to get the music reproduction right. There’s strong connotation to the term natural.
Charles
Hi there, I am now listening to the Bruno Walter 1956 recording of Mozart's Requiem (NY Philharmonic) and I think I can elucidate Audire's reference to "detail": I am hearing a lot of musical detail despite the vintage recording (remember, this is a mono recording from 1956!).

For example, the choir (Dies Irae, Rex tremendae) comes across as several people singing -- and one can differentiate, to an extent, between the singers -- rather than a vocal mishmash. It certainly does not sound (to me) "analytical" in the sense of deviating from musical reality.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Hi there, I am now listening to the Bruno Walter 1956 recording of Mozart's Requiem (NY Philharmonic) and I think I can elucidate Audire's reference to "detail": I am hearing a lot of musical detail despite the vintage recording (remember, this is a mono recording from 1956!).

For example, the choir (Dies Irae, Rex tremendae) comes across as several people singing -- and one can differentiate, to an extent, between the singers -- rather than a vocal mishmash. It certainly does not sound (to me) "analytical" in the sense of deviating from musical reality.
Yes, I understand and appreciate your example of musical detail retention. Better resolution resulting in improved delineation of individual singers within a group of singers. This is legitimate/real audio/music detail.

I believe that the Vitus would achieve this based on @Audire description of its successfully reproducing piano overtones. It appears that the Ideon (In his audio system anyway) did not match this performance with the same piano recording. It instead did something else.

Is this something else the “over detailed “ (Hyper detail) that Audire referenced? Why couldn’t it reproduce the piano overtones if it’s so capable of again “over detailed “ renderings?
Charles

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Yes, I understand and appreciate your example of musical detail retention. Better resolution resulting in improved delineation of individual singers within a group of singers. This is legitimate/real audio/music detail.

I believe that the Vitus would achieve this based on @Audire description of its successfully reproducing piano overtones. It appears that the Ideon (In his audio system anyway) did not match this performance with the same piano recording. It instead did something else.

Is this something else the “over detailed “ (Hyper detail) that Audire referenced? Why couldn’t it reproduce the piano overtones if it’s so capable of again “over detailed “ renderings?
Charles

I need to re-clarify what I meant. Both DACs probably produced the same amount of detail, but the Vitus handled the detail better to my ears and in my particular system. Since IMO the Vitus handled the sound better, I stated the Ideon sounded over detailed. But please don‘t elevate this as it was only “slightly” - and this is in my system and to my ears. Someone else may have different results in their system and actually prefer the Ideon over the Vitus.

But as I already stated both are excellent DACs. And they hands down beat everything else we heard.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
At this level the nuance is very difficult to separate. A friend of mine has the Ideon and Horizon. He has mediocre at best tubes in the Horizon. He gives a slight nod to the Horizon but said he could live quite easily with the Ideon. If he used a better tube selection perhaps the margin would widen. I don't know as I have never heard the Ideon. The synergy in @Audire rig can make up for a lot of ground. As noted we are talking sonic nuances at this level...BTW I like listening to a piece of music like Ballad Essentials: Gene Harris. A well recorded piece like that can really shine some light....

geoli

Sep 6, 2021
Athens, Greece
Hello everyone.
this is George from Ideon Audio.
For those going to High-End Munich 23 next week, we will be very happy to meet you in person.
Ideon Audio is Hall 4 T17.
Thanks
George

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
WADAX isn’t in the picture as it’s butt-ugly - looks like a boom box from the 80s... IMO they may engineer good sound, but really missed it in the looks department. Aesthetics matter.
Putting a paper bag over it's head is always an option /s

But realy, yah. Wadax looks realy don't do it for me (same with the old all gold Pacific's). Would love to experience one though

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Putting a paper bag over it's head is always an option /s

But realy, yah. Wadax looks realy don't do it for me (same with the old all gold Pacific's). Would love to experience one though
Paper bags distort any sound...

Last edited:

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
The MPD-8 is a good DAC - a friend of mine owns one and he brought it over for a week long listen. I’d say it’s just below the MSB Ref DAC in its sound presentation. It sounded too digital for me personally - too analytical for my taste. But it’s still good.

The Vitus MP DAC is analogue sounding. On most albums it literally sounds like our TT in its presentation.

As for being “far behind” I prefer to say that all these upper end DACs sound good. I was looking for the most analogue sounding one I could locate. With that in mind, if I were doing this on a percentage basis and considered the Vitus a 99, then I’d say the MPD was about an 80 “in our system.”

This said, IMO one really needs to hear a DAC in their own system before they purchase one. We all hear differently and we have different systems. The rest of the system influences what a DAC sounds like.
Did you use it with the Playback Designs transport?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing