Msan

Feb 19, 2023
Hello Guys,

I am pretty happy with my audio system containing the below:

Speakers: Spendor A7
Amp: Hegel H190
DAC: Topping D90SE
Sources: Nuprime CDT-8 Pto and Nuprime Stream 9

As I learned, the Topping DAC performes quite well as a preamp connected to the Hegel, using its HT bypass.

This made me think to replace my Hegel for some better sounding power amp or set of monoblocks.

I would like an airy, open, natural sound with well controlled and accurate bass. Also something pretty revealing, but not being on analytical side.

My budget is around 4K USD. I will try to audition Benchmark AHB2 and Nuprime ST10M monoblocks, as the reviews suggest something I might like.

Any other ideas will be much appreciated :)

Also, do you think I can get big improvement over my Hegel within my budget? Or is it better to save up?

Kind Regards

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
The benchmark amps you mention are good for the price, and in mono mode, they are excellent.

"do you think I can get big improvement over my Hegel within my budget?"
Frankly, no -- unless you buy used.

In which case I recommend an integrated -- and here there are many options for clear & airy sound (i.e. extended and correct high-frequency response, low distortion): Gryphon, ASR, anything Swiss within budget, an old Boulder (power), Spectral (power), or even Pass for more sexy sound (i.e. mid-bass friendly) without much loss of resolution!

Msan

Feb 19, 2023
The benchmark amps you mention are good for the price, and in mono mode, they are excellent.

"do you think I can get big improvement over my Hegel within my budget?"
Frankly, no -- unless you buy used.

In which case I recommend an integrated -- and here there are many options for clear & airy sound (i.e. extended and correct high-frequency response, low distortion): Gryphon, ASR, anything Swiss within budget, an old Boulder (power), Spectral (power), or even Pass for more sexy sound (i.e. mid-bass friendly) without much loss of resolution!
Thanks a lot for your suggestions! Unfortunately it's next to impossible to find brands you mentioned used in my country.

I found only Pass Labs INT-150, so probably I will give it a try.

If not, I will try the Benchmark as stereo amp and save up for the second one to have monoblocks mode :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing