I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hello Christian,

Is this the ND23 you were taliking about thats priced around $5,000? What would the table top be made of.

Kind regards,
Tang

That may be the price for the nano damp workstation tables without active isolation modules.
http://www.herzan.com/products/passive-vibration-control/nanodamp-series.html

Right now the top plate is 3/4" aluminum plate. I am sure I could do steel too...maybe 1/2" to 3/4". I wonder what is a better choice...aluminum or steel ???
Seems that steel may have more ring than aluminum ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That's a great drawing. Thanks for posting and sharing. What are the details for those four footers? They appear to be able to move in some way. Perhaps they are rollers.

There are a variety of footer options...height adjustable/leveling feet and a caster/foot combo. You raise the feet to get the casters off the floor and level the table, lower them to potentially roll the TT around on casters.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
After going back and forth I finally settled on the best top plate material for this TT application...1/2” plain old carbon steel. Aluminum and Stainless are bad choices from a high frequency resonance ring standpoint from what I understand.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After going back and forth I finally settled on the best top plate material for this TT application...1/2” plain old carbon steel. Aluminum and Stainless are bad choices from a high frequency resonance ring standpoint from what I understand.

Ooohhh! I think I specified 1/2" stainless steel. I will change that!

For steel I think 1/2" is the thickest Herzan will make.

Does the carbon steel need to be painted or sealed in some way to avoid rusting?

I got the colour chart today and a lot of cool automotive-type colours are available. Different finishes -- crackled, textured, polished clearcoat -- are available.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There are a variety of footer options...height adjustable/leveling feet and a caster/foot combo. You raise the feet to get the casters off the floor and level the table, lower them to potentially roll the TT around on casters.

Do you understand how the castors work? Once the stand is moved into place somehow the castors retract, leaving the stand in place?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

That is not why Herzan has different materials... There is no way you'll get ringing from either because the coupling pressure from the turntable is too much, which effectively drops the resonating frequencies very low (why the turntable is heavy to begin with). Problems with coupling could be generated if the mating surface didn't match well, or the "feet" to the table have zero give, in which case carbon would be the most flexible but it won't matter at 1/2".

My point being, Ron, don't bother to make the change until less David tells you the feet for the table are flat machined surfaces on the bottom. If they are not, there is no point. The active portion of the table will certainly quell any "ringing" that could be possible in that low of a resonate frequency that the coupled weight will create. It's not a diminishing return factor, it is a no return factor without the situation where you need machined to machined surface tolerances tight enough to make suction... And yet still probably not possible.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Do you understand how the castors work? Once the stand is moved into place somehow the castors retract, leaving the stand in place?
This is how they were explained to me:

Essentially the foot is raised or lowered depending on the current need. During the design our engineers felt that our typical design of having the casters offset from the leveling feet may lead to some relatively easy tipping of the stand due to the height and relative narrowness of the stand, so they wanted me to run the combination caster leveling feet by you. Alternatively I believe we could have the casters installed where the leveling feet will eventually be put into place where you would then need to remove them and attach the leveling feet once the stand is in place.

I was originally offered the combo feet for my two other Herzan racks. Since I won't be moving the rack around and since I have carpet over my basement floor, I will most likely use this option from Herzan (pic below). A simple swivel hat type footer that raises and lowers using the nut on the footer and a wrench.

Attachments

• IMG_4086.JPG
    IMG_4086.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 122

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That is not why Herzan has different materials... There is no way you'll get ringing from either because the coupling pressure from the turntable is too much, which effectively drops the resonating frequencies very low (why the turntable is heavy to begin with). Problems with coupling could be generated if the mating surface didn't match well, or the "feet" to the table have zero give, in which case carbon would be the most flexible but it won't matter at 1/2".

My point being, Ron, don't bother to make the change until less David tells you the feet for the table are flat machined surfaces on the bottom. If they are not, there is no point. The active portion of the table will certainly quell any "ringing" that could be possible in that low of a resonate frequency that the coupled weight will create. It's not a diminishing return factor, it is a no return factor without the situation where you need machined to machined surface tolerances tight enough to make suction... And yet still probably not possible.

This could all be true...but I went with David's recommendation for a carbon steel plate top. Not aluminum, panerholtz, stainless or other material.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I wouldn't be the least surprised if he had a reason that was chemical related.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The 1/2” steel top plate weighs 125lbs. Hopefully it can be easily unscrewed from the AVI modules for easier movement into my house and down the basement steps...which I am reinforcing with 2x4’s just in case. They handled 350lb Wilson Alexandria woofer cabinets okay...not taking any chances :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 1/2” steel top plate weighs 125lbs. Hopefully it can be easily unscrewed from the AVI modules for easier movement into my house and down the basement steps...which I am reinforcing with 2x4’s just in case. They handled 350lb Wilson Alexandria woofer cabinets okay...not taking any chances :D

Wow this TT is heavier than the Alexandria? That is something, if you look at them visually

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wow this TT is heavier than the Alexandria? That is something, if you look at them visually

Christian was referring to X2 bass cabinets - the complete XLF weights 655 lbs each!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh ok. So close

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Is Herzan putting the blue rubber damping sheet on the bottom of the top plate?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Christian, for explaining the casters. I'm not sure what I want to do about the castors.

I understand the typical offset castors, but I don't really understand the castor/foot combination.

The CEO of Herzan explained to me one time that they are not averse to a thin cushiony layer below the isolation platform upon customer request to dampen frequencies above 1,000 Hz, but it is still more common for their stands not to have such a layer.

With the American Sound's massive weight I do see any worry about it being buffeted by floorborne or acoustic vibrations above 1,000 Hz. I do not think we need a visco-elastic layer on our AS stands.

Interestingly, David does employ a vibration absorbing layer below the American Sound turntable when he uses industrial rubber washers to separate the table top from his Kinetics Systems stand.

Mike, David -- what do you think?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing