I Have A Tube Flash

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I bought a pair of short plate Mullard ECC83s a few weeks ago, and much to my surprise, they did not flash on start up as all my old Mullards did. Now that worried me a bit because I began to think something was wrong with these tubes. They tested good on a tester and sounded fine but the real pacifier was that I was able to find an old Mullard labelled as Philips in my old stash that had exactly the same physical make and appearance that also did not flash. Sometimes we all get worried for nothing. :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I bought a pair of short plate Mullard ECC83s a few weeks ago, and much to my surprise, they did not flash on start up as all my old Mullards did. Now that worried me a bit because I began to think something was wrong with these tubes. They tested good on a tester and sounded fine but the real pacifier was that I was able to find an old Mullard labelled as Philips in my old stash that had exactly the same physical make and appearance that also did not flash. Sometimes we all get worried for nothing. :D

Sure it's a real Mullard and not something else just relabeled?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sure it's a real Mullard and not something else just relabeled?

That had crossed my mind but the internal construction is virtually the same as my Philips Miniwatt which I am sure is the real thing and did not flash so probably they're from the same batch and reading some net forums there is someone who explained why some Mullards do not flash, had to do with some over extended wire or filament.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi to all ,

I had my first tube flash last week in one of my ARC Classic 150 . One of the 6550C made a tube flash then took out the line fuse of the unit. The tech is coming in today I hope to check my Amp

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi to all ,

I had my first tube flash last week in one of my ARC Classic 150 . One of the 6550C made a tube flash then took out the line fuse of the unit. The tech is coming in today I hope to check my Amp

That's a whole different kind of tube flash. Yours is what's known as the 'fatal flash.'

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
That's a whole different kind of tube flash. Yours is what's known as the 'fatal flash.'

I agree w/ you mep. There's always a first time unfortunately my experience was a fatal flash.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing