How to best mitigate generator transfer switch issues

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Recently in Stereophile there were articles by Michael Fremer about how adding a generator transfer switch degraded sonics. The article included commentary by Garth Powell around some of the causal reasons. Fremmer "solved" this with a PS Audio regenerator.

I have two transfer switches. There is one for the primary whole house generator that kicks in 15 minutes following a power failure. There is a second smaller hospital-grade 240v 200kva regenerator unit that powers my critical automation systems, audio, and theater gear. The second unit is a battery based "always on" inline regenerator that bridges the whole house unit. There is a second transfer switch to take this unit offline if the whole house generator fails (this prevents the unit from going into permanent alarm status).

Downstream of this is a large 240v isolation transformer that provides 120v balanced power to all my critical systems, and that feeds a Shunyata Triton/Hydra setup. Less critial digital power supplies, etc. are further isolated with a Sound Application unit.

What additional steps might I take to avoid or mitigate the issues Fremmer experienced?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing