How Reliable are Ferraris These Days?

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I had a 2007 430, then a 2012 458, and now have a 2015 F12 Berlinetta which I use a daily driver in summer here in Ohio (even when it rains) for about 3000 miles total per year.

The F12 is phenomenal ... comfortable, handles great, and (very) fast. I haven't had reliability issues with any of them, and I hear "garage queen" Ferraris with super low mileage have the most mechanical problems. Don't buy a 5 year old Ferrari with 400 miles. These cars need to be driven. Yes 7 years included maintenance.

I do exactly what you describe, buying each Ferrari a couple years old with 2-3k miles (I bought the F12 two years old with 900 miles and 100K off sticker) and then holding on to it for about 3-4 years. I've lost very little on each car, you just need to time it correctly. Let the new model come out and then buy the outgoing model after it falls in price a bit. Ignoring taxes, I lost $7k to own the 430 for 4 years and $8k to own the 458 for 4 years. So it almost comes down to the time value of money. The mid-engine 8 cylinder models seem to hold their value the best, with a steeper depreciation curve on the 12 cylinder models.

FWIW I think a lightly used F12 is best value high-end sports car right now, as it's depreciated into the low 200s (original sticker typically mid 300s to low 400s depending on options/factory carbon fiber) and is holding tight on value.

ferrarichat.com is the whatsbestforum of Ferrari news. Nice, helpful, passionate people who really care about their hobby. I would recommend posting this question there, and also reading up on all things Ferrari.

Attachments

• IMG_9201.jpg
    IMG_9201.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think that, at least with regard to eight cylinder models, every car after the F355 has been reliable — so from the 360 and on.

I would not have any concern at all with a car that’s only four or five years old.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Found one for ya

1578368409200.png

Reactions: NorthStar

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What does reliable mean? What are you doing; commuting to work; picking up the kids from day care?
Pick a mechanic and live with it.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hence my advice to stay away from 2010 & 2011 models. There were issues with the first two years of the DCT gear box the result in a very expensive out of warranty repair.

Thank you VERY much for that valuable info.
I will warn my friend about this fact, although I think he fancies the 488 more than the 458 :D

Do all 2010 and 2011 vintages have this issues? Also the FF?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you VERY much for that valuable info.
I will warn my friend about this fact, although I think he fancies the 488 more than the 458 :D

Do all 2010 and 2011 vintages have this issues? Also the FF?
Yes they do. I love the FF and now the GTC4 Lusso.
While the 488 and now the Tributo are amazing, the 13 and later 458 are just so damn dependable and to me sexier.
458 Speciale is the beez neez!

Reactions: christoph

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
What does reliable mean? What are you doing; commuting to work; picking up the kids from day care?
Pick a mechanic and live with it.
458 is pretty much a once a year visit for annual service car. Had a client that when I left WA had 80k on his 458, and we saw him every 12k miles, thats it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I never owned one. My friend had one like Tom Selleck(308GTS) drove. It never broke down. His wife knocked a hole in the oil pan.
Idling in traffic meant it wa in constant need of a tune up. It growled like a beast when he got the chance to wind it out.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The FF might have been highly collectible if they had took their time and released something better sorted that came close to the GTC4Lusso. Doubling down on that idea, it was the first production car with Apple CarPlay *cough* and (I'm almost sure) Ferrari was the first manufacturer to remove it.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa

drop dead gorgeous car, not my color, but drop dead gorgeous never the less !!

A few years back while attending the 6 hr IMSA race at the Glen my son and came upon one parked, all by it's lonesome on a side street in Downtown Corning. I starred and began to drool .............

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In black that car would suit me just fine.
Reliability? @ that price I would want that for sure...$3.7 million.
I don't want to waste money on an unreliable and expensive car, nobody.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
drop dead gorgeous car, not my color, but drop dead gorgeous never the less !!

A few years back while attending the 6 hr IMSA race at the Glen my son and came upon one parked, all by it's lonesome on a side street in Downtown Corning. I starred and began to drool .............
I saw TWO La Ferraris in a garage. One in the typical red and one in orange, that I liked even better :cool:

Reactions: DaveC and Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
In black that car would suit me just fine.
Reliability? @ that price I would want that for sure...$3.7 million.
I don't want to waste money on an unreliable and expensive car, nobody.
Just had one in black in this week, its stunning. Had a client in Seattle has two, one in blue and one white (aperta).
I have pictures but cant share them.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
F12 TDF is probably my favorite Ferrari right now, would take it over a new superfast.
Its a bad bad machine and makes the 812 look tame. It will make a man out of you in a second. Not for the faint of heart. I was hoping it would achieve GTO status but sadly the market is going soft on them at the moment. It is tied for first place with the Enzo for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Most modern F-cars are, well, not terribly attractive. I do think the 458 Speciale looked decent.

I'd take a 355 Spyder over most, but they are some of the scariest to own.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing