How loud do you listen?

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hi Amir, you said, "I play movies very loud. I like the dynamics to be there so usually -6 to -10 db relative to reference. For music, it depends on the setting. In our living room, I never have it that loud. The books would fall off the shelf otherwise . But while in the dedicated space, I have been known to have it past 12:00."

I recently read your article on Low Freq Optimizitaton. So I assume that you have a meter.
I have a few questions for you. You said that you listen at -6 to -10 db to reference. What are you referencing this against? I would like a reference, is this something that audio engineers or mastering engineers use? Also you said that you listen past 12:00 on your volume control. My volume control is only 3 clicks from wide open (around 4:00) so if you have a meter how loud do you listen according to the meter? How come the books would fall of of the shelves?
Thanks,
Wendell

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hi JPV, You said that you listen at 83db reference volume. So am I missing something here? Amir said he listens at a reference volume also, actually he said he listens 10db less than reference, so that would be 73db (or half as loud) . What is a reference volume? REference to what?

I am not so sure about listening to everything at the same volume control stetting. Dont you just want to crank something up one in a while? Even Northstar said the he cranks it up to 120db, now thats loud! Northstar what albums do you listen to that loud? How long can you tolerate that for and does it hurt your ears?
Thanks,
Wendell

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
RonParty said, "I turn it up tp 11. Stated another way, one tick below clipping".
Now thats just juvenile and I gather you have no idea what you are talking about. I will discount your answers. Or mayby thats why your name is ronPARTY:)
Thanks,
Wendell

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Wendell, not all of us routinely pull out an SPL meter when listening/watching. Ron's comment was meant to be humorous. He's one of the most adamant members here about solid science in audio.

Lee

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Interesting thread guys.

I personally determine the "optimal" volume level for each recording for my ears and note in the individual CD. My CJ preamp volume control has 0.7db increments. Range of volumes go from 35 to 65 depending on the recording. Most fall in the 40 range.

This equates to a nominal 85 to 90db "C" weighted level, which averages the peaks.

FWIW, there are tables out there that indicate volume levels and duration of time that can lead to hearing damage. Average 85 to 90db range is fine for two to three hours at a time. Rock concert levels (110+db) can cause permanent damage if listened to for more than 15 minutes or so.

PS: Goggle "hearing damage decibels" for further information

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
What is a reference volume?

That would be 0db in an HT set-up. That can get real loud depending on the effects especially in the LFE.
I usually don't go above -6db for movies. Music I am in the mid 80's with a C weighted meter.

Rob:)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'm -10 to -12 Db for HT

For music -75 to -80db

It seems that most of us listen at quite comparable levels, with avg. SPL 75-80 and peaks ~20dB or so more.

Some folks may be volume-limited by their room's ability to handle higher SPLs (or their neighbors!) or late-night limitations, but this range seems to be where most all comments here and elsewhere fall.

Lee

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi JPV, You said that you listen at 83db reference volume. So am I missing something here? Amir said he listens at a reference volume also, actually he said he listens 10db less than reference, so that would be 73db (or half as loud) . What is a reference volume? REference to what?

I am not so sure about listening to everything at the same volume control stetting. Dont you just want to crank something up one in a while? Even Northstar said the he cranks it up to 120db, now thats loud! Northstar what albums do you listen to that loud? How long can you tolerate that for and does it hurt your ears?
Thanks,
Wendell

Hi Wendell,

1. Reference level is too superfluous to be truly useful (all recordings are not the same).
...Music and Movies wise.

2. When I mentioned 120dB on peaks; it is more for the fun of it and for very very very short times (few minutes). ...The longest, perhaps 30 minutes (up to an hour) of intensive 'audio experimentation' (with roughly 2/3-minute lapses separated by few seconds between); and to measure more than to listen (and these 120dB peaks are only with Movies: DVDs & Blu-rays, and not with Music; like LPs, CDs, SACDs, ... but with multichannel DVD-Audio, I went quite high before).
And my gear wasn't made to sustain this kind of beating for the entire running time of a movie (my gear, meaning my ears). :b
*** But I know which movies that you can hit 120 decibels on peaks from certain scenes.
They have extreme sound pressure (of course), and not necessarily the lowest bass extension (like below 25 Hz for example), but more in the 40 to 60 Hz (audio bass range) area.

===> And if you wanna know some of the most powerful movies in very high sound level (from specific scenes), just ask me. :b
I am very big on discovering and experimenting these type of attributes in my main setup.
And I know that I ain't alone on this either. ...But I am certainly one of the true 'sound pressure' experimenter; I always have been. ...And my electronica plus loudspeakers plus subwoofers are extremely modest (read cheap), and perhaps it's good in a certain way because with a true high-end setup it would be much more costly to repair the electrical system, and to replace drivers in my speakers, and also to replace burned amplifiers! :D ...I'm that type of person, definitively!
...Or I was more before; and now that I know my gear's limits (including my set of ears),
I kind of have more respect for this side of life.

BUT! I will always experiment whenever I feel like it! I feel totally free,
and I am in total control of my own destiny. ...I think. :b

Bests,
Bob

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For truly serious Music listening: 90 decibels or so on peaks (with sometimes the odd 100dB).
...And the genre of music, plus the recording from the recordist have an influence fo sur.
{On my pre/pro*, that is roughly between -20 and -10dB.} ...Other times it is around -25dB or so.

For truly serious Movie watching: 105 decibels on peaks.
...On my THX certified pre/pro*; that represents -3dB on certain movies (others it's -6dB),
from the THX Reference Master volume level of 0dB.
[But you know as I know that not all movies are created equal as far as volume levels & dynamics go.] ...And sometimes my pre/pro is roughly set at between -20 and -10dB (same as in the Music listening overall levels).

**** This is the Relative volume level display on my pre/pro;
and not the 'Absolute' volume level, which is totally irrelevant for meaningful values.

BUT! I am not always serious (half & half). ...In one direction or the other. :b

...And I use two very modest 15 incher subs.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last: when I work on my computer with background music (for much better concentration, and with Classical music playing), I am at a much lower volume level (very easy for anyone to appreciate, and for your ears, heart, and soul). :b

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
Lately the loudest music I've been listening to is the Boogie Monster CD that accompanies this book. My two year old knows which knob to turn and he cranks it. The musicianship is commendable.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Bob,

Please remember that volumes exceeding 110db can cause hearing damage (perhaps permanent) very quickly.

Gordon

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oh I am very well awared Gordon, thanx! :b

...That's why I said it was for short time durations as experimentations; measurements at the listening position; 10 feet from and between the two main flankers, and also analysing all the other room's positions. ...Subwoofer's ideal placements as well.

* Some young people are steady (regular) Rock and Heavy Metal live music concerts attendees.
They go out every weekend or so, and they rock their ears and bodies till extinction! :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think on average I listen at about -20/-18db as per my volume control. For movies I'm usually quite a bit louder than that, say -14 or so, but not much more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing