How big of a power supply should your digital gear have?

caesar

May 30, 2010
How big of a power supply should your digital gear have? Would you trust digital gear that weighs almost nothing?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How can people possibly answer that question other than to say "big enough to provide the needed voltage and current"?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have so many lines...........:D

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Yes
Another famous one by Abraham Lincoln
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."

:D

You're on a roll

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
How big of a power supply should your digital gear have? Would you trust digital gear that weighs almost nothing?

I would think more on quality, like a Paul Hynes LPSU.

Weight means nothing in a DAC, please look for SQ 'weight'. The additional 'weight' will be added by the LPSU.

Roch

caesar

May 30, 2010
I know guys love being smart alecks, but I guess we all have different ways to boost our fragile self esteem. But being helpful and sharing experiences does make many people feel better...

Anyways, here's Fremer on a Sim Audio 40-lb power supply upgrade for their already excellent sounding unit (his reference) : "Go to your dealer and get an 820S to take home and try. Put it on a credit card if the dealer doesn't trust you, but be prepared to drop $8000—I don't think you'll be returning that 820S to the store".

http://www.stereophile.com/content/simaudio-moon-evolution-820s-power-supply

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
When will caesar start a thread without a question in the title? :)

It depends on whether your digital gear has a linear power supply or an SMPS. A linear power supply will often have a multi-rail toroidal power transformer. This weights more than an SMPS.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I don't see a need for it with the reference gear here, but some other gear out there with lesser power supplies may benefit from it.

Vermin

Nov 4, 2014
Norway
This big!

10008587_10152279794020609_1108315752_n.jpg

(on the left, a Buffalo III dac with exasound USB. On the right, 60 pounds of power supply)
Built by Leif Christensen, it sounds about as good as it gets in the Digital world.

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012

Caesar,

This can be an interesting question. From a technical standpoint, and has been indicated by others, the power supply only need provide the power demanded by the load. For a CD player or DAC, that amount will be relatively small, perhaps less than 10 Watts. So long as the amount of power demanded is supplied, then the issue becomes the quality of that power. Is the resulting D.C. voltage(s) held tightly constant, and how tightly, and across how wide a band of of frequencies? Is that power free of noise and harmonics, both normal mode and common-mode? Is the supplied power reactive or resistive in source impedance, as delivered to the powered circuits? Most, but not all, of these concerns depend upon the voltage regulator circuits.

In addition, the commutation (switching) of the main rectifier diodes causes the power transformer to ring at high frequency, unless an RC snubber circuit has been implemented across the secondary winding. Unintended coupling from the supply to the powered circuits can be a problem when amplifying small signals, hence the not uncommon use of remote power supply boxes used with phono stages. Also, in my experience, common-mode noise is more of a problem than is often thought.

From the perspective of a non-technical consumer, power supply weight is, of course, a proxy for overall component quality. The problem is that what provides most of that weight is the iron used in the power supply magnetics, such as the main transformer and in any power chokes. It doesn't cost much per pound for manufactures to include massive amounts of such 'magnetic' iron in their products, and thereby, ride the consumer's equating of mass with quality. That applies to heavy chassis/enclosures as well. And yet, I think, there can be a kernal of consumer truth to the mass-quality assiociation. While gratuitous mass may not indicate much positive, too little mass can indicate something negative, especially for a power amp - switching supplies not withstanding.

The issue of component overpricing is a seperate one, I think. One which pervades high-end audio.

Last edited:

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
Looks to me like it's mostly there to mount the small solderable components (transistors, caps. resistors, etc.) in lieu of a PCB. I wouldn't be surprised if there is also some claim about the natural musical qualtities of wood mounting versus fiberglass mounting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing