ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
-- ...Still a 16:9 aspect ratio (with black bars for 2.40:1 flicks).

What we truly want is large flat panels with a screen aspect ratio of 2.35:1-2.40:1

* For a 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio:

One or the other, you're going to have black lines hroizontally or vertically if the movie format isn't the same as the TV.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
What we truly want is large flat panels with a screen aspect ratio of 2.35:1-2.40:1
Looks like a nice TV for the mostly movie viewer. They don't go much into the LCD motion blur issue when they compare it to a Panasonic Plasma.

RE: The TV originally posted......................I could live with it.:cool:

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-84LM9600-led-tv
00_feature_LivRoom.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is LG's top-of-the-line LED Series (Edge-lit LCD; or even better, Zone-lit), the M9600 Series; very nice (84" too). ...And I luv the stand; much better than any other manufacturers (Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio, and all).

And nice Black level and shadow detail too. ...The LG 55LM8600 (a below model) was reviewed by Tom Norton at HomeTheater.com and Tom liked it very much.

EDIT: Tom made a mistake (instead of a 9, he typed an 8; from the January 2013 issue).
Here's the review of the LG 55LM9600: http://www.hometheater.com/content/lg-55lm9600-3d-lcd-hdtv

Now, check this one out: http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-xbr-55hx950-3d-lcd-hdtv

I know I know, they are not of the 80-90" size category.

* Do you know that after 60-65" HDTVs, it is harder to build larger screens and with the same quality picture as smaller ones? ...They cost way much more (in particular LCD LEDs) because the larger the set the more zones need to be lit. ...And Black level suffers, so is shadow detail inevitably.
And Plasmas from 70" to 150" are not common and very expensive as well.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing