Home Video: Where it has been and where it is going

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I had mentioned last year, I wrote an article for the Widescreen Review Magazine regarding future of home video. I just finished updating it and am making it available for all to read.

The article starts with a business intro with little known industry facts that drove the evolution of formats from VHS to DVD, Blu-ray and now, online streaming. The second half gets technical, contrasting how video is created for Blu-ray relative to the Internet and challenges it creates regarding video fidelity. It ends with a hopeful recommendation to the industry on a way to sharply increase the quality of movies going even past Blu-ray.

Enjoy and do let me know what you think of it, including any spelling errors :). http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/FutureHomeVideoDistribution.html

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
I just replaced my dedicated BDP with a HTPC and a external RAID 5 storage unit. It works for me as it’s on PAR for video & audio playback as my BDP.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I also did away with my stand-alone Blu-ray player and use by media center for both. That nicely simplified my set up as it is just a PC going to my AVR. Better yet, I can control the PC using the network with my automation system whereas controlling the PS3 that I was using for BD playback was a pain as it has a Bluetooth remote, and not IR or serial.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Sweet setup Amir!

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Thanks for a very informative article Amir.

I hope the video industry ultimately decides to use the download business model instead of streaming as you suggest. But I am concerned video content may follow the current path of audio content by focusing on cost and portability rather than quality. I realize I may be in the minority, but I don't want to watch low resolution video anymore than I want to listen to low resolution audio.

I canceled my NetFlix streaming and opted for DVD (blu-ray) content only awhile back. The streaming never worked well for me probably because of the inevitable buffering interruptions in the movie due to either ISP bandwidth and/or the wireless connection to the blu-ray player. The enemic availability of newly released video content was also a huge turnoff.

I would be very content to download video content to some type of HTPC device overnight. While the movie storyline is vital, PQ and SQ are also a very important part of the immerse video experience.

I suspect this new video content business model may significantly increase the cost/movie over my current NetFlix plan. We're able to watch on average 2 movies/week for a cost of $16/month - a real bargain! I am willing to pay for content, but if the cost increases dramatically for the comparable content I'm now watching, I will be even more careful about not only wasting my time, but money as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
... I'm still waiting for 48 frames per second (much more important and beneficial than 4K).
...Till then Blu-ray is still a low quality medium with a major flaw.

And streaming is way behind Blu-ray.

That's just my own

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing