Hi, I'm a "newbie" ...

Jun 26, 2013
Hello, "I'm new here" ....

I was amazed to find this "place", and more amazed their are "Pioneer Guy's" (I was once) out there. That being said I'll start by saying that I was a HUGE Audiophile back in the 1970's.
When it was all said and done, I lined 5 JA-R2S Racks with equipment, I supported the floor (in my house) with "basement jacks" as the shear weight of the thing started to warp the floor ! The system was comprised of 8 Altec Lansing Model 19 Speakers, with 4 more HPM-150's as "Satellites". Later for "Sub's" I bought 2 Peavey FH-2's with 18" Black Widows !! .. "crazy". *** I suffer with "the ringing" still too this day *** "lol".

"Told you I had it bad" !!!

I LOVED the "SPEC Series" and back in that time I'd "smoke" any (and all) whom dare made challenge ... AGAIN: "I had it bad" ! Now, "much older and wiser" I can't really stand loud music much !
I think it's GREAT that their are / were other "me's" out there, ... and I'll enjoy reading thread after thread HERE !

Most People I've run into long ago parted ways with their equipment ... ME ? I still come across some once in awhile (or see something). In the end you do it for YOU. It was a GREAT Ride
for me personally and one I'd do all over again were I given the choice. Back then, their WAS a difference in "brand Wars" ! Sui, Marantz, Phase Linier, Sony, JBL, ... "I even remember "project one" equipment ! "lol" ...

Anyway, It's great to be so entertained, and I'll look forward to reading even more here.
Thanks for reading from an "old geezer" ... "all those years ago".

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum. I hung on to some of my 1970s systems which I use in secondary spaces. Sadly, did throw out a lot of it including my Reel-to-Reel tape deck :(.

Something about 1970s version of the hobby that was more fun to me. Maybe it wasn't better but the fact was that I didn't have much money so anything I bought was a true gift???

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
because the music matters, Welcome! :b

* The late sixties and early seventies were a great era to be into the music; turntables, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, John Coltrane, and all that jazz.

Jun 26, 2013
Welcome to the forum. I hung on to some of my 1970s systems which I use in secondary spaces. Sadly, did throw out a lot of it including my Reel-to-Reel tape deck :(.

Something about 1970s version of the hobby that was more fun to me. Maybe it wasn't better but the fact was that I didn't have much money so anything I bought was a true gift???

OH NO !! "yikes" ! *I still have all my stuff, and once in awhile I'll have a laugh and have a sit in the ole "Body-Sonic Chair".

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Living-breathing system

Are those spare tubes on the rack near your foot?

Did your system begin to take over your body functions?

Best to you & a great living-breathing system,
zz

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Dat's a LOT of fookin' cheet, mon.

Your younger self looks so much like my brother's younger self, it is a bit uncanny.

Jun 26, 2013
Are those spare tubes on the rack near your foot?

Did your system begin to take over your body functions?

Best to you & a great living-breathing system,
zz

No, no Tubes. Aside of some Stromberg Carlson equip., (I never got into tubes).

Things did take alot of power, I can recall the memory on the clocks needing too
be reset a few times ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing