Hi from London at the moment.

barriophile

Nov 17, 2011
3 places in Europe
hi folks

just a quick hiya. I'm here chillin' in my girlfriends London pad.
I've been into music from a very very young age due mainly to my parents love for Jazz
(beetniks).

The system I now have I love. It does what i want it to do but like most audiophiles I'm always on the lookout.

The last bit of kit I bought was the Lyra which is excellent. It replaced an Ortofon Cadenza Black which is great. I don't read the mags much, maybe flick through at the shops. I'm not really a forum type user either so please excuse my ignorance if I use the wrong language/text/bold etc.

The best bits of my system: TW table, the Whest Special Edition phonostage and my record collection.
My worst purchases: ASR Basis Exclusive phonostage (overpriced), Origin Live table (not built properly), my 3 days with a pair of ART Deco loudspeakers.

What's next if you put a gun to my head: a new preamp and try out a different pair of poweramps.

have a nice day folks
barry

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
hi folks

just a quick hiya. I'm here chillin' in my girlfriends London pad.
I've been into music from a very very young age due mainly to my parents love for Jazz
(beetniks).

The system I now have I love. It does what i want it to do but like most audiophiles I'm always on the lookout.

The last bit of kit I bought was the Lyra which is excellent. It replaced an Ortofon Cadenza Black which is great. I don't read the mags much, maybe flick through at the shops. I'm not really a forum type user either so please excuse my ignorance if I use the wrong language/text/bold etc.

The best bits of my system: TW table, the Whest Special Edition phonostage and my record collection.
My worst purchases: ASR Basis Exclusive phonostage (overpriced), Origin Live table (not built properly), my 3 days with a pair of ART Deco loudspeakers.

What's next if you put a gun to my head: a new preamp and try out a different pair of poweramps.

have a nice day folks
barry

Welcome and nice introduction! :) Now have you considered therapy :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome to the Forum Barry. Nice to see another fellow TW owner on the board. Methinks you will like it here. :)

barriophile

Nov 17, 2011
3 places in Europe
Hey Jack...a fellow TW'errr, and from the Philippines :) I was recommended both the TW AC and Whest phonostage by a fellow Filipino I met at AES last year. Apparently there is a synergy between TW and Whest. I have met at least 6 or 7 at shows in Munich and the USA.... don't ask :) OK, so I have a fair amount of spare time and friends in the right cities.

So what is your TW front end setup and is there ANYTHING I should know about correct setup ? Like keep a candle burning nearby etc etc :))

b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ah! Would that be the nice Filipino, London based gent who used to have Watt Puppies driven by Boulder Gear now also using Utopias? :)

I've got an AC-3 with two Graham Phantom Arms and one TW 10.5. I'm a tube-o-phile so my Phonostages are a 4 Input Valvet Soulphono from Germany I loaded with Telefunken 803s' and 801s' and a Lamm LP2 with the 1:32 Step Up Option. I fell in love with the AC-3 when I got to play with it in CES back in '08 at the Lamm/Highwater Sound room. Jeff and Vladimir were kind enough to let me have a run of the system one lean lunchtime hour.

I've done zero maintenance since. Tomas made our tables pretty bullet proof. As long as the motor(s) and table are properly leveled, I guess that's it. :)

3 places in Europe.......now that is cool! I love Europe. Somehow I can chow down like crazy over there and not gain any weight!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
3 places in Europe.......now that is cool! I love Europe. Somehow I can chow down like crazy over there and not gain any weight!

I used to like you Jack!:p

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not gaining is very different from not having to lose any! Hahahaha! You'll still like me John. I'm about 45 lbs over!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not gaining is very different from not having to lose any! Hahahaha! You'll still like me John. I'm about 45 lbs over!

Very true, and I'm about 25 over myself.

barriophile

Nov 17, 2011
3 places in Europe
That is not me but I have met that Filipino - another Whest Special Edition user. The last I heard he was using a Transfiguration Orpheus/ Graham Phantom. The Boulder stuff is still there. See it's a very small world. He is in construction I think.

No, I'm not a Filipino at all but love the people. Anything Asia, East-Asian & South Pacific is my kind of lifestyle. I intend to buy a small pad somewhere between Cameron Highlands in Malaysia and Poipu beach in Hawaii. I just need a dart board and a blind fold :)

nice to know about the TW tables. I know that they are less-tweakie than most tables out there but didn't know by how much. Mine is all leveled and looking good. My London girl uses a small Rega P9 which is great. It's just great to spin vinyl while I'm here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing