Hi all from Montreal

Morax

Nov 29, 2013
Hello all! I am new here! :) Anxious to read on! I have a question, is there a place where I could offer some of my personal speaker cables, I have a few sets that I need to sell? On this site or else where, feel free to email me...anxious to start knowing some new friends! cheers to all!:)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Welcome to WBF! We have a "Trading Post" forum, where members may offer items for sale. Participation in the Trading Post requires a 25 post minimum for WBF members.

Here are the terms of use for the Trading Post:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?5131-Terms-And-Conditions

So, please feel free to join in the discussions and it won't take you long at all to reach the post count necessary.

Lee

Morax

Nov 29, 2013
Thanks for the fast reply and the info! Then I am sure that in now 23 more posts, a few members here will make the deal of the centry on some cables! :) I'm planning on re-equip myself! :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum Morax. I have not been to Montreal for some 30 years! I suspect it has changed a lot. At that time, it was almost completely French speaking. Was there a movement of English speaking folks when Quebec was talking about separating from the rest of the country?

P.S. I am helping you with your post count :).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome to the forum Morax. I have not been to Montreal for some 30 years! I suspect it has changed a lot. At that time, it was almost completely French speaking. Was there a movement of English speaking folks when Quebec was talking about separating from the rest of the country?

P.S. I am helping you with your post count :).

There was indeed Amir, and not just people, but corporations as well. Quebec witnessed a huge exodus of both once the PQ got elected ( I think it was 1976), which continued quite dramatically for about 10 years. I was one of them.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Jack. I recall our French speaking country manager for the computer company I worked at was bragging about how cheap houses were in Montreal after English speaking people had left!

What happened to the fines they had in Quebec city for using English signs. Still there?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks John. I recall our French speaking country manager for the computer company I worked at was bragging about how cheap houses were in Montreal after English speaking people had left!

What happened to the fines they had in Quebec city for using English signs. Still there?

Fixed your post! ;)

I've been away for too long to really say with any degree of certainty if the language laws are being enforced as strictly as they were back then, but I suspect they are to some degree. It was a real shame what happened there as it's such a great city. So much culture and joie de vivre. I miss it, but I go back occasionally.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And yeah...real estate was dirt cheap, and although it's recovered somewhat it still pales in comparison to the prices being demanded in Toronto and Vancouver.

I bought my first house in Montreal in 1982 for $53,900 (1,200 sq.ft. bungalow on a 60x100ft lot). I invested another $20,000 and only basically broke even 5 years later when I moved to Toronto. As an aside...the interest rate back then was a staggering 19%, but I got a deal at 14.75% through the builder.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Morax. Please allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. We hope you enjoy what this forum has to offer you and we'll see you around campus.

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks John. And sorry for getting your name wrong :). I was offered a job during that time to work in Montreal. But I was living in Florida then and the temperature difference was a bit much for us :).

Particapant

Apr 17, 2014
Hello all! I am new here! :) Anxious to read on! I have a question, is there a place where I could offer some of my personal speaker cables, I have a few sets that I need to sell? On this site or else where, feel free to email me...anxious to start knowing some new friends! cheers to all!:)

Cheers and Welcome, from a Canadian brother, from a different mother!

See you the threads...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing