Hi, a new member here

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
Hi yern,

Welcome!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Were you "yerning" for someplace to talk audio? You found it! Welcome.

Tim

yern

Jul 20, 2011
Wellington, FL.
LOL, I'm more like yerning to learn more about my D70 Mk.II. I was in audio in the '90s then sold everything. The only relic left was my Audio Research D70. I haven't even heard how it sounds. I gained it from a trade and just stored it for about 12 years. I will be using it not for speakers but for powering a pair of headphones.

abby

Aug 26, 2011
Hello, new member here and very excited to find out the best of the best!!!! Thanks!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hello, new member here and very excited to find out the best of the best!!!! Thanks!

Ahhh....well we haven't quite agreed on that, abby, but the discussion is lively. Welcome!

Tim

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
LOL, I'm more like yerning to learn more about my D70 Mk.II. I was in audio in the '90s then sold everything. The only relic left was my Audio Research D70. I haven't even heard how it sounds. I gained it from a trade and just stored it for about 12 years. I will be using it not for speakers but for powering a pair of headphones.

Hi yern, welcome to a very interesting and informative forum.
I too own an ARC D70Mk2... which I think VERY highly of. My a'phile group and I have listened to this amp and AB'ed it against several other highly respected current contenders, only to see the D70Mk2 hold off almost all competitors. The amp needs to be set up correctly, to include good tubes and the correct biasing; ( which is best left to a tech, IMO) and once this is done you will have one of the great classics in ampdom, again IMHO:D

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A D-70 to drive a pair of headphones? Isn't that like using a tractor trailer to tow your push mower around town? And yeah, I owned the D-70 MKII also. In fact Davey and I share a few components that we have owned. I believe that Davey still has his CAT SL-1 Signature preamp which I used to own as well. Except for my Ampex 350s, I have recently parted ways with tubes. It remains to be seen if it stays that way.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
A D-70 to drive a pair of headphones? Isn't that like using a tractor trailer to tow your push mower around town? And yeah, I owned the D-70 MKII also. In fact Davey and I share a few components that we have owned. I believe that Davey still has his CAT SL-1 Signature preamp which I used to own as well. Except for my Ampex 350s, I have recently parted ways with tubes. It remains to be seen if it stays that way.

Up to a point .. The HE planar headphones are making minced meat of my Luxman headphone amplifier.. It is clearly laboring ...Word is that such headphones require almost as much power as medium to high efficiency speaker, say 95 dB ...
Welcome people.. You have found a place to discuss about the best of everything

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI yern,
I'm relatively new here myself. I had been looking for a forum that mostly talked about high end audio. I think I have found it here. Lots of knowledge on these pages.

Welcome aboard.

Sparky

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

LOL, have to agree with Mark (mep) about using the amp with headphones:D. Mark's correct, i still use, and am happy with, my CAT SL 1 Sig with rolled in tubes. It's a shame that most owners of the SL1 have never really heard what it can do when you roll in tubes..:(
BTW, if you get the tube thing correct, I think that the different presentation that tubes in the system will give you is hard to discount. Which is why I utilize both tubes and ss. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses ....BUT they sure aren't the same:cool:
I'll wager Mark will come to this same conclusion:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Davey-You are a brave man for rolling in tubes in the CAT SL1 Signature. There is a reason most people let Ken select the tubes and its called noise. Noise is the enemy and I have boxes of NOS to die for tubes that are all noisey as hell.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mark, not really that brave:D

I had some very good advise from Kevin Deal at Upscale about the compatability of various tubes.
Kevin really knows his stuff, IMHO.

I always think that 'shooting blind' with regards to tube rolling isn't really that smart an idea.:cool:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have dealt with Uncle Kevin for years. He was pretty much my "go to" guy for tubes and he has bled my wallet many times. I have now been through a 12 step program for tube lovers and have gotten over my addiction to them. For the here and now, I have crossed over to the dark side of SS and my SNR has gone way up and my angst about tubes going south is at an all time low.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing