Hey look... Audiogon raised their prices again!

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
they may require you to have a paypal account but you don't have to accept it as a form of payment. it's set up so A'gon gets their fee taken out when the buyer transfers funds to the seller via paypal, you also have the option to add seller's fees in the transaction to cover the 3% and a'gon's 2% for that matter. I almost always take checks anyhow and loose nothing to paypal and thus control the payments for A'gon's fee on my terms.

I am just trying to figure out the new pricing structure. Are you sure that the payment for the add is taken out when the buyer transfers the $$$ to the seller via paypal. I would actually not have a problem with that, meaning that you only pay the fee if the item sells.

My understanding is that you pay the fee up front when listing the ad. So if you are listing something that is a high ticket item, you pay $150 at the time you list the ad. It's good for 30 days and then if you list it again, you pay the next $150 for the next 30 days.

If someone understands how it works for sure, please enlighten me....thx!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am just trying to figure out the new pricing structure. Are you sure that the payment for the add is taken out when the buyer transfers the $$$ to the seller via paypal. I would actually not have a problem with that, meaning that you only pay the fee if the item sells.

My understanding is that you pay the fee up front when listing the ad. So if you are listing something that is a high ticket item, you pay $150 at the time you list the ad. It's good for 30 days and then if you list it again, you pay the next $150 for the next 30 days.

If someone understands how it works for sure, please enlighten me....thx!

If you use audiogon's legacy "percentage of transaction" fee based model, the fees are automatically take out of the paypal transfer. For the fixed price listing, you pay in full upfront.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If you use audiogon's legacy "percentage of transaction" fee based model, the fees are automatically take out of the paypal transfer. For the fixed price listing, you pay in full upfront.

Thx, that's what I thought.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
Well can't beat the price it's Free to list their, and they state right upfront. That they want to be the alternative to Agon, I signed up.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
If I'm being completely honest, my response to this change comes with some bias, bias based in resentment. The core of this comes from how the revamped site/process changed the way I experience my hobby. This change was not subtle. Although the name remains the same, the site is far from what I know Audiogon to be. The former site had a spirit to it, this is 100% gone. Everything about my experience as an audiophile has changed as a result. The main outcome of this is I no longer buy and sell gear near the rate I once did so I don't get the same taste and feel of what is out there. My purchases/sales are maybe 5% of what they used to be. So thats the real tangible thing but there is a social aspect lost as well. I made many a good friend there in the past, some of my better friends to day, actually. Since the changes...I have not even interacted with anyone beyond that very basic business of a sale/buy let alone developed any relationships. These are just a few small samples, there are many other consequences related to that change...and yes I resent it. The site that goes by Audiogon but it is a very different animal compared to the site that previously used that name. So that is me getting real honest about the subject in general.

As for this new fee structure, it surprises me that anyone would see it as reasonable. What percentage increase is it (once you do that math show me any other business that has had such an increase)? Have any changes helped you as a customer? How often do you sell a big dollar item in the first listing cycle? How often did you into guys that prefer other payment methods? How do you go about selling an item in the $100 range? I can think of literally hundreds of issues with this structure/process and it shocks me that someone running a site like this would ..... actually....after seeing what they have done over the last year it does not....

I agree. This strikes me as "we're raising fees because we can." No value added, no announcement of increased expenses on their part (what would those be, anyway?), no improvement of service. At any rate, there are alternatives. USAudioMart has been a good option for me. I've also had good experiences with Audio Asylum Trader. Less traffic, but also free and much less hassle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing